Author Topic: Blagge of Car Colystn Lineage  (Read 8169 times)

Offline Graceofblagge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Blagge of Car Colystn Lineage
« on: Wednesday 03 August 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching my great-great grandfather, Francis Blagge who had 4 children 3 boys 1 girl with his stepdaughter Anne Elizabeth Rogers while married to Anne's mother Mary Rogers. We were told by family members that Francis was a member of the R.C.O.S., but have found info that a man of the same name at Car Colston monument same name and member R.C.O.S.. My father's name was Thomas Blagge Rogers, his father Walter Irving Rogers, his grandfather Thomas Blagge-forgot to add-Rogers of England b 1848 in Lincolnshire.

link: http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/carcolston/hmonumnt.php

link:http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/carcolston/hmonumnt.php

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Blagge of Car Colystn Lineage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
I haven't looked deeply at the Blagg family but one of my relatives married into the family, although much of the info is based on the census at present;

Generation 1

1. Thomas Blagg was born ABT 1803 in Car Colston, Notts and died 1876. He married Grace Goulson 18 Feb 1833 in Car Colston, Notts. She was born 1812 in Knipton, Leicestershire and died Mar 1898 in Car Colston, Notts, daughter of Page Goulson and Dorothy Sampey. 

Other events in the life of Thomas Blagg
Burial: 1876 in Name Thomas BLAGG Date 30 Aug 1876 Aged 74 Place South Collingham Description All Saints 

Children of Thomas Blagg and Grace Goulson:
   i.         Mary Blagg was born 1834 in Car Colston, Notts
   ii.         Rebecca Blagg was born ABT 1835 in Car Colston, Notts
   iii.         Thomas Blagg was born ABT 1837 in Car Colston, Notts
   iv.         Henry Blagg was born ABT 1839 in Car Colston, Notts
   v.    2.    Page Blagg was born ABT 1841 in Car Colston, Notts
   vi.         Francis Blagg was born 1843 in Car Colston, Notts
   vii.         Grace Blagg was born 1845 in Car Colston, Notts and died 1883 in Collingham, Nottinghamshire
   viii.         Robert Blagg was born 1846 in Car Colston, Notts
   ix.         Edward Blagg was born 1848 in Car Colston, Notts
   x.         Sarah Blagg was born 1850 in Car Colston, Notts
   xi.         Unknown Blagg was born 1855 in Langford, Notts
   xii.         Arthur Blagg was born 1858 in Langford, Notts

~~~~~~~~

Generation 2

2. Page Blagg was born ABT 1841 in Car Colston, Notts. He married Augusta Howsin 1873 in Newark District. 

I also have some headstone images from the church at Collingham and a couple of images of the church at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/sets/72157624085752292/

If this is the same family i'd be interested to hear from you, the Goulson family in the area had surgeons amongst the occupations.

Offline Graceofblagge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
My father's name was Thomas Blagg Rogers, his father was Walter Irving Rogers, his grandfather was Thomas Blagg Rogers b 1848 in South Leverton Lincolnshire died 1930 in Deptford, New Jersey USA. His father was Francis Blagg, b 1802 d1860 East Retford Nottinghamshire. We have no other information available on Francis Blagg. Thomas Blagg Rogers (of England)- his mother was Ann(e) Elizabeth Rogers b1824 North Leverton,Nottinghanshire d 1862.  Francis Blagg was married to Ann(e) Elizabeth's mother Catherine Sharp Rogers b 1796 d 1872-her first husband was Thomas Rogers b 1794 d 1833.There were 4 illegitimate children from this liason; Thomas Blagg Rogers, who later emigrated to the US and was a veterinarian, Elizabeth M., Walter Vincent, and John James.

I believe Francis Blagg was from the Retford area, he had a large home in Rockley near Retford. Any of this help?

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
It doesn't look like there is a direct link between the two family groups, maybe they are linked through earlier generations but I haven't gone backwards on the Blagg line (my interest being the Goulson family, researched back to the late 1600's).

There are a couple of Goulson family born in the 1870's-1880's in the Retford district but that family group eventually finished up in Lincoln.

Offline Valgenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 17:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I came across your enquiry while researching an incident in North Leverton connected to Francis Blagg, surgeon. if you would be interested, let me know.

Valerie

Offline Graceofblagge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 April 12 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Yes, very much interested. Thank you!

Grace

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 April 12 17:35 BST (UK) »
Marriage South Leverton Francis Blagg and Elizabeth Rogers 29-8-1833
Baptisms S Leverton
Mary Ann dau of Francis & Elizabeth 24-5-1834
Francis son of francis & Elizabeth 19-3-1836
There are 8 baptisms at Car Colston with Parents Francis and Mary Blagg, Francis is a surgeon.
A marriage at Car Colston Francis Blagg and Mary Abbott 23-1-1803
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Valgenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 April 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Grace,

I am investigating my own family (Hibbert) who lived in North Leverton, and was actually in the Nottinghamshire Record office when I came across the story of a Sarah Drake. She was accused of the murder of a small child whose body was shipped to North Leverton.  Francis Blagg was the medical examiner to whom E. Smith (County Constable) brought the body, and later appeared as a witness.  Incidentally both North and South Leverton are in Nottinghamshire (not Lincolnshire) and as you might expect, the villages are side by side.
I am writing a story about this, and as Francis Blagg was named, I decided to do a bit of research into the characters involved.  The accused was actually at one time a servant to Francis Blagg.  (Source ...newspaper).  When I examined the census, I notice the odd relationship of the Rogers children living with Mr. Blagg.  Now, you have explained all that.
I see that Francis died young.  On the census he is listed as a member of RCOS , but I will do some more work looking for proof of that.  I believe his father had the same name. 
On the census and in the paper the E was not on the end of Blagg, but as you may well know that is really of no matter.  if you are interested, I will tell you more of what happened to Sarah, but I realise the Blagg's are your main interest.  My g.g.g. grandfather lived down the road from the Burton family, to whom the body of the child was sent.

Valerie

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 April 12 10:00 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the 1851 census for South Leverton?
Francis Blagg age 43 born Car Colston occ MRCLL general practitioner.
Ann E Rogers daughter 24 housekeeper N Leverton
Thomas Rogers son 2
E Matilda Rogers dau 2 months.

Burial South Leverton
16-3-1860 Francis Blagg age 51 notes Chas. S Burnaby Coroner 13-3-1860
The Nottingham Guardian thurs March 22nd 1860
Fatal Accident to surgeon
Francis Blagg surgeon of South Leverton--his father and grandfather both in the same trade, both died accidently, the former drowned in the Trent and the latter died from taking snuff without washing his hands after a surgical procedure...
Francis seems to have been on a pub crawl on horseback, he was known to ride too fast, it appears he collided with a gate post and died instantly, the coroners verdict was accidently killed by fall from a horse.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley