Author Topic: Sophia (Thomas) Llanddewi Velfrey/Narberth  (Read 1625 times)

Offline B29Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sophia (Thomas) Llanddewi Velfrey/Narberth
« on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My G Gnd Mother was a Sarah Jane Thomas born in Pembrokeshire about 1844 (she appears to have made herself younger over the years!). Her father was a William Thomas and her mothers name Sophia. I have W & S living in Pembroke St Marys from the 1841 census onwards. William was listed as either a publican, publican/farrier and Sarah listed him as a Farriers on her marriage certificate. W & S would have been born about 1810 and married about 1831. After William died between the 1851/1861 census Sophia lists her birthplace as Llanddewi Velfrey and Narbeth. 
Does anyone have a Sophia in their tree which might be my one, or have knowledge of a William Thomas?

Moderator Comment: Post split into new topic  :)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sophia (Thomas) Llanddewi Velfrey/Narberth
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 11 00:26 BST (UK) »
Hello B29Mitchell  :)

Welcome to Rootschat!

Hopefully someone will be able to help with this family. Otherwise it may be best to get a copy of Sarah's birth certificate, giving her parents' names, possible Parishes, and father's occupation.

Kind Regards
Morgan

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
From my transcription of all the Parish Registers, Bapt, Mrge & Burial 1711 to 1950’s for Pembroke St Mary I note the following ;
25 Jan 1845 William Thomas of full age a bach and labr of Pembroke Ferry the son of William Thomas a Mason mrd Sophia Williams a minor and spinster of Pembroke Ferry the daughter of John Williams a mason by banns in front of Will Lloyd. William signed his name and Sophia made her mark in the presence of John Reese and George Froyne.
(Note George Froyne was Parish Clerk at this time a position that had been and would remain in the family for generations).

There is no other William Thomas to a Sophia mrge in the Pembroke area that could fit your requirements 1825 to 1846.

Free BMD show
A possible William Thomas to Sophia Davies in the Narberth Reg Dist in 3rd Qtr 1838.
&
A possible William Thomas to Sophia Mackenzie in the Narberth Reg Dist in 4th Qtr 1844

There is no baptism in the Llanddewi or Pembroke areas that would fit your Sarah Jane Thomas circa 1844-46 period.

All the lack of evidence & experience points to the possibility of this family being Chapel !!

You say they reside in the parish of Pembroke St Mary in 1841, I suspect they in fact reside in the new town of Pembroke Dock which from its inception in 1817 up to circa 1860’s was considered part of  the parish of Pembroke St Mary, even though the new parish church of Pembroke Dock St John had begun services and events from the mid 1840’s. Could you post a) the location of Wm & Sophia in 1841 and 1851 and b) location and date of mrge of Sarah Jane Thomas, this will help further the ancestors of Wm.

Rgds
Orielbenfro
ORIEL a welsh window on a surname
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline B29Mitchell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 August 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the information. I was just looking through everything and putting together a reply when the Thomas curse struck again for me. The 1871 census shows who I thought to be my Sarah married and Sophia living with her in Pembroke, missed it completely.
Starting from scratch (again) the only hard facts are that in 1871 she married in Brentford (full age) and listed her father as William Thomas (Farrier). The following three census returns shows place of birth Pembroke(shire) and birth date calculation between 1847-1849. The only Sarah Thomas I can find in London 1871 census born in P. would give DOB 1846, so it might be her.
Which is where I have been since the seventies. Will I ever find my Welsh roots. Strange as well because even though she died in 1901 I remember my mother telling me my dads grandmother was Welsh when I was still at school.