Author Topic: Jane Owens born around 1883 Larne, County Antrim  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Owens born around 1883 Larne, County Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 October 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice and for the information.

Gillian

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 January 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Jane Owens born 1883 Larne district- parents James Owens & Ellen McGookin:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02753/2011418.pdf

New members usually need at least 2 posts to use PM (Personal Message) system  ;)

I checked the link you gave me, but didn't find out any more from that source about the parents. I'm guessing they both died before the census date and that was why that Jane was living/staying with the Jenkins, though I can't find where the link with them is. I found an entry for James and Ellen's marriage on Emerald Ancestors and sent away for more details. Hopefully that will tell me a bit more about them.

Gillian

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 January 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Some bits and pieces to consider...

1862: Catherine Owens living in the townland of Ballysnod (Inver civil parish) married William James Smyth in Larne 1st Presbyterian, her father James Owens was recorded as a farmer, one of the witnesses was a William Jenkin.
1863: Jane Owens living in Ballysnod married William Jenkin(s) in Larne 1st Presbyterian, her father James Owens was recorded as a farmer.
1869: William Owens living in Ballysnod married a Rachel Forsythe in Ballynure Presbyterian, his father James Owens was recorded as a farmer.
1876: James Owens living in Ballysnod married Ellen McGookin in Larne 1st Presbyterian, his father James Owens was recorded as a farmer.

Just a possibility, a James Owens of 'Ballysnodd' who died in 1896 with reported age of 82:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05902/4674688.pdf
His will mentions a wife Jane: Probate of the Will of James Owens late of Ballysnodd Larne County Antrim Farmer who died 10 May 1896 granted at Belfast to James Owens Junior of Ballysnodd Farmer and James Owens of Larne Plasterer both said County.
A possibility for Jane?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Kilwaughter/Ballysnodd/994950/
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1906/05574/4565385.pdf

HOWEVER, the PRONI Will Calendars Index brings back several other Owens / Ballysnod(d) 'hits'. As do the 1901 and 1911 censuses. As does Griffith's Valuation (print date 1861).  So quite a cluster of Owens in that same townland (possibly even more than one contemporary James Owens) and a few more in the wider Larne area for you to follow up.

Edited to add: The Tithe Applotment Books show one Owens entry for Ballysnod -  Owens, Wm. , Ballysnad, 1833, Inver, (Co.) Antrim.  Newspaper hits for the Owens of Ballysnod include this example from 6 January 1840: On the 2d ult. at Ballysnod, near Larne, Mr William Owens, in the 106th year of his age.  He was followed to the grave by a numerous retinue of sons and daughters, together with their children's children, the greatest portion of them being great great grandchildren ... His eldest son is 72, and a few years since his wife died at the advanced age of 98... etc. 

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 February 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I am beginning to think that Owens the farmers and Owens the plasterers were not related and that Jane who married a Jenkins was of the farmer stock. I'm pretty sure my Owens's were the plasterers.

I'll have to look through all the data and see if I can figure out who belongs to whom. Thanks for all the links.

Gillian

Offline mwylie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 02:20 GMT (UK) »
Jane and Samuel Owens 1901 census.
ballysnodd
james owens & ellen mcgookin
children:
mary  5 jan 1879
margaret 19 dec 1880
jane  26 jan 1883
samuel james 2 feb 1887

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Gaffy for the newspaper clip about William Owens' funeral. It makes him more real rather than just a name.

Gillian

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 27 April 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks to Gaffy for the newspaper clip about William Owens' funeral. It makes him more real rather than just a name.

Gillian

What 'newspaper clip'? Lots of information posted on the thread but not sure that you've looked through it all  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilli-Anne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 27 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Look at Reply#11.

Gillian.