Author Topic: BURDHAM/BURDEM/BURDOM - Sandwich/Swanage area  (Read 2590 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BURDHAM/BURDEM/BURDOM - Sandwich/Swanage area
« on: Sunday 07 August 11 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thomas and Mary Burdham (variants Burdem or Burdom) had eight children baptised in Sandwich/Swanage between 1716 and 1740.

I am looking for their marriage. It did not take place at Sandwich/Swanage and they are the first Burdhams in the parish, so must have come from elsewhere.

The baptism of a daughter Mary in 1718 shows they were of Ulwell. This daughter was however not buried at Sandwich/Swanage but at Studland in 1719. Ulwell seems to be between the two parishes.

There is a Thomas Burdem buried at Studland in 1719/20 and a Joice Burdem widow buried there in 1722 so it seems likely they were related.

Can anyone please let me know what other parishes may have been nearby or have any infomration/help on the family?

Thomas died in 1768 and was buried at Swanage. There is however what appears to be his will listed in an index on ancestry.com, but can anyone please tell me where I may obtain a copy of it?

Burdan, Thomas, Sandwich 59 1769
Dorset: - Wills and Administrations)

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BURDHAM/BURDEM/BURDOM - Sandwich/Swanage area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 11 14:28 BST (UK) »
Please ignore the will request.

I had a look back through the reference section on Dorset here at rootschat and found they have been digitised on ancestry!

The administration of his estate shows Thomas Burdam was a fisherman, as was his son John.

Would still like some help on his marriage if possible though!

Thanks,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: BURDHAM/BURDEM/BURDOM - Sandwich/Swanage area **COMPLETED**
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 June 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Have now found this marriage at nearby Worth Matravers and it took place on 4 September 1715.

The reason I had trouble finding it, is because his name is recorded as Thomas BUDDEN not Burdem/Burdham.

His wife Mary's surname is now known to have been Brine and the marriage records the fact that both were of Sandwich (Swanage).

He baptism can be found there in 1697 to Richard and Ann Brine/Bryne and Richard's will dated February 1723/4 and proved in 1727 has Thomas Burdem as one of the witnesses.

I still don't know the origins of Thomas Burdem but hopefully will be able to come with something in the future. It just goes to show what going back to something after a while can do.

Jon

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 June 15 20:49 BST (UK) »

A useful, free site for a variety of Dorset records:

http://www.opcdorset.org/

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 June 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link, Nanny Jan. I had seen it a while ago but just been on an explore and found some interesting bits and pieces there. Thank you!