Author Topic: Closer Settlement Scheme - James Collis BIRD  (Read 22980 times)

Offline glenhodgins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Closer Settlement Scheme - James Collis BIRD
« on: Friday 12 August 11 10:34 BST (UK) »
Greetings:

Although I have been undertaking genealogical research for several years, this is the first time I have ever had to deal with a person residing in Australia.  As a result, I'm fumbling a bit. Any help any one can offer -- either substantive information or just a point in the right direction -- would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently researching a Commander James Collis Bird, (born 1885, Westminster, London, England).  He had a distinguished naval career, serving in the British merchant marine, the Royal Indian Marine, and the Royal Navy (in both World Wars).  He was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross (for gallantry in Mine sweeping in WWI) and the Royal Human Society Medal for Lifesaving.

Right now I am focussing on James Collis Bird's time between the two World Wars, when he emigrated from UK to Australia. In this respect, I have thus far ascertained the following about him:

1. Bird was taken on strength of the Royal Australian Navy's Emergency List on 2 September 1922.
2. on 1923 May 25: Bird arrived in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
3. Bird appears in the 1924 Australian Electoral Roll, indicated as residing in Gonn Crossing, Victoria, Australia, with the occupation of “farmer”.
4. Bird was allocated Plot 59 under the Closer Settlement Scheme in 1919.
5. by 12 Oct 1939 Bird was back in the UK (again) serving in RN (for the duration of the war).

My question: are there any easily accessible records (either on line by myself or via a researcher) regarding the "Closer Settlement Scheme". One would assume there would have to be an application process of some sort, and such documents might yield useful information.

Also, I came across a reference to Bird in a work entitled Murrabit our Murrabit, The History of Why We’re How We Are, by Jill Sutherland, indicating that Bird "kept trotters and lived after sharing a caravan at the boarding house at Ross’ homestead before Rees-Williams and then on the northwest corner of Dunbar Road CS Map L 6046 Lot 45 which appears to have been Carr’s block.’

What??  Any help any one might be able to offer in deciphering this would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers,

Glen,
In Our Dominion of the North

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Closer Settlement Scheme - James Collis BIRD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Some general information about Closer Settlement Scheme here

http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/about-us/publications/library/virtual-exhibition/settlement

(Dept of Primary Industries, Victoria). 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
HI

If you go to National Archives,  there is a file on your man,  you will be able to apply for, 

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

Daizi

EDIT....it has been digitised and you can veiw online,  but i dont think there is a lot of info on what you are wanting  :(
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline glenhodgins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
If you go to National Archives,  there is a file on your man,  you will be able to apply for....

Thanks Daizi.  Much appreciated.  I couldn't seem to log-in to get access... but before I go any further, could you please advise whether or not this is Bird's Royal Australian Navy file? If so, I stumbled across it a while back via Ancestry. (But still grateful for the heads up! ;)

JM: Thanks for the lead on the closer scheme info.

I'm starting to think that the first challenge is simply to get a good scale map so that I cam familiarise myself with all the place names.  (I'm afraid Australian rural geography is not a strong suit of the Canadian education system!)

Cheers,
and thanks again,

Glen,

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 11 14:46 BST (UK) »

At this site (digitised newspapers) -

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/search?adv=y

- search with just....Collis Bird.....

- a distinctive name so I did not choose any papers, or dates.

- several social comments.

- a good article about his naval service 21 Mar 1931 if you narrow the time range.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
The Public Record Office in Victoria has these records, some details here.  You would need to employ a researcher and the best place to start would probably be the Genealogical Society of Victoria.

http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide055/PROVguide055.jsp
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/component/daPublicBaseContainer?component=daViewSeries&entityId=5714

Debra  :)

Offline glenhodgins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 August 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
At this site (digitised newspapers).... search with just....Collis Bird.....

Thanks a million, Wivenhoe!  I feel like right wanker... I had tried that site several weeks ago.  I used just about every possible combination, (J.C. Bird; James Bird; James C. Bird, etc.), but neglected to try "Collis Bird".  (I even tried "Commander Bird", but was flooded with hits regarding the American Antarctic/Arctic aviator-cum-explorer of that name.)

Cheers,
and thanks again,

Glen

Offline glenhodgins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 August 11 23:58 BST (UK) »
The Public Record Office in Victoria has these records, some details here.  You would need to employ a researcher and the best place to start would probably be the Genealogical Society of Victoria.

Thanks very much, Deborah.  I'll follow your lead. (You don't happen to know of a researcher you would feel comfortable in recommending for this task?)

Cheers,

Glen,

Offline mabeljessie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 11 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen,

Kerang is quite close to both Murrabit and Gonn Crossing if you google Kerang historical society or Kerang history group you will get the email address for both these groups. If you write to them they may have some information on your man or some more particular details on the Closer settlement in this area.

It is no wonder he returned to England I have been reading a book on migration to Victoria and the system was a monumental fail in most areas in the state with landing holdings to small and therefore the price to high to be paid off by a farmer.  Most who participated were worse of when they left the land than when they began - he was lucky if he had the fare home. Some were able to sell the land to others to make larger properties that were more workable so perhaps that's what he did.

Cheers
mabeljessie.
McConnell, Lee, Thompson, Flower,
Darling, Wallace, Atkins
Ruddock / Burley
Blown, Curling
Tait, Sturrock