Author Topic: Closer Settlement Scheme - James Collis BIRD  (Read 22983 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Closer Settlement Scheme - James Collis BIRD
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen :)

Thank you for posting details of the JCB's death certificate.

I think that Dorothy Cecelia TIMMS was JCB's partner  and mother of two sons born c1932 and 1936 and Noel William BENTLEY-BUCKLE's wife. 

Good luck with your publication and possible contact with the sons ;D

Cheers :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Collis Bird

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 06 September 11 06:30 BST (UK) »

A fine Great War ‘minesweeping operations’ D.S.C. group of ten awarded to Lieutenant-Commander J. C. Bird, Royal Navy

DISTINGUISHED SERVICE CROSS, G.V.R., reverse inscribed, ‘Awarded 1916 Lieut. Commander J. Collis Bird. Presented by H.M. George V. Aug. 1917’, hallmarks for London 1916; NAVAL GENERAL SERVICE 1915-62, 1 clasp, Persian Gulf 1909-1914 (Lieut. J. C. Bird, R.I.M.S. Minto); 1914 STAR (Lieut. J. C. Bird, D.S.C. R.N. Transport Staff); BRITISHWAR AND VICTORY MEDALS, M.I.D. oakleaf (Lt. Commr. J. C. Bird R.N.); 1939-45 STAR; ATLANTIC STAR; DEFENCE ANDWAR MEDALS, these unnamed; ROYAL HUMANE SOCIETY MEDAL, small, silver, successful (Lieut. James C. Bird R.N. 21st Dec. 1915) mounted for display, some edge bruising and contact marks, very fine or better, and a scarce 1914 Star (10)

£1800-2200 D.S.C. London Gazette 1 January 1917. ‘In recognition of bravery and devotion to duty during minesweeping operations’.

James Collis Bird entered the Royal Indian Marine as a Sub-Lieutenant in 1907 and subsequently served as a Lieutenant aboard R.I.M.S. Minto in operations in the Persian Gulf 1909-14. He was appointed a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy in September 1914. He served on the minesweepers Ravenswood and Glen Avon from July 1915. In command of the latter he was involved in a daring rescue during December 1915.

The following account taken from the R.H.S. Case Book for 1916 (Case No. 42272), ‘At 3.50 pm on 21st December 1915, H.M. Minesweeper 186 (Lady Ismay) was struck by a mine and blown up about one mile N.W. of the Longsand Light Vessel. Minesweeper 185 (Glen Avon), commanded by Lieut. James C. Bird, approached as near as possible to pick up survivors, but she had lowered her boats two to three hundred yards away so that if she herself struck a mine they would be ready in the water to give help. While thus a considerable distance ahead of her boats, two men named Baines and Petterson were seen struggling and trying to hold onto small pieces of wreckage. Lieut. Bird left the bridge and diving off the forecastle head swam to the two men. A lifebelt was floating about 10 yards away, and this he secured and tied to Patterson, whom he then assisted to a larger piece of wreckage. Baines was now very much exhausted, and Lieut. Bird supported him with one hand and with the other held on to the wreckage on which Patterson was until all were picked up by the boats after being about fifteen minutes in the water’.

For his services he was awarded the Royal Humane Society’s Silver Medal. Later in the war he served on the gunboat Leda and paddle minesweeper Aiglon and was in command of the minesweeper Saltash from September 1918 and Cotillion from April 1919. For his services with minesweepers during the early years of the war, he was awarded the D.S.C. After the Great War he went to Australia where he was appointed a Lieutenant Commander on the Emergency List of the Permanent Naval Forces of Australia. In 1940 he left the R.A.N. and returned to the U.K. and was appointed a Temporary Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy serving on Fortitude, Clyde and Nemo.

Offline berts dad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 31 December 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks.
I have not been 'lurking' as Glen suggests. It's just that tracing family connections is a winter pass time which even then plays second fiddle to golf!!!
As the UK is under water and the course flooded I will belatedly join the party.
I have read all the posts and agree with most of it.

It is my belief that from 1913 until ate 1939 James Collis Bird(JCB) resided for the most part in Aus.
First with Minifred Horniman at Gonn Crossing Victoria. He was planning to grow oranges but the settlement scheme let him and many others down by not providing the irrigation so vital to the project.
In 1926 he and Minifred gave up and moved into Kerang where he applied to the Prime Ministers office for a job, any job. Basically he was told that he didn't qualify for state assistance as he wasn't a returning soldier under the meaning of the act. Not surprising as he was in fact a 'Pommie'
He seems to have lived hand to mouth. not quite the hardship one might think, remember Minnifred was no pauper and JCB had wealth on his side of the family as well. At one stage he captained a yacht on the inaugural Sydney to Hobart race and made headlines when the boat capsized and was dis-masted. JCB to the rescue, brought her to harbor under jury rig after all hope of survivors had been abandoned. It was in part due to this that he was allowed to join the Australian Naval reserve.
There is a note in 'Murrabit bit our Murrabit' that refers to JCB keeping 'trotters. Having decamped to Melbourne and with Minnifreds health deteriorating JCB starts to look to the horses again. It is during this period that he meets Dorothy Cecelia Timms. Her family breed and race trotting horses. Far be it for me to judge but Minnifred died in Jan 1931 and master T Collis Bird was born in 1931 though what month I have yet to find out.
JCB seems to have returned to the UK in 1931. I am currently thinking that this may have been to divorce his first wife now that he had a son and to secure more funds. JCB and Minnifred were never married!
He returned to Aus, this time to Perth, Boyup Brook. He had a substantial farm and he a Dorothy seem to have taken an active part in the local scene. He helped set up the Boyup Trotting Club. He called the farm Dormans after the family home in Surrey. Jeremy was born in 1936.
I think it all started to go wrong when a report was published, in the West Australian, of his half brother having a 'fascist  wedding' in London.  I can't think of any reason why such an obscure item should get such prominence in a provincial newspaper other than someone was trying to make mischief. The upshot was that they sold up in 1938 and he returned to the UK. Dorothy followed on in 1939, not perhaps the smartest move given what was about to happen.
He transferred back the RNR and was put straight back onto mine sweeping duties. Dorothy seems to have joined up as well for we see her being promoted from Chief Wren to Second Officer and subsequently to First Officer.
I can find no record of JCB and Dorothy ever being married or divorced but we do know she married Bentley-Buckle in 1948.
JCB was finally removed from the RNVR lists in 1952 and he died in Dover in 1962.

Before I go, all Collis Birds are descended from JCB's father. JCB was his only son.

Best Regards to you all and a fruitful New Year.

Nigel

Offline glenhodgins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 31 December 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Wow Nigel!  Thank you so much for taking the time to share your work with me (us?).  I very much appreciate it.  If you don't mind, I'll take a little while to absorb what you've said; then synthesize it with my own, which I'll then post for any one to review.

Cheers,
Glen

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 31 December 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel :)

Welcome to rootschat :)

I did enjoy researching JCB.

Over twelve months since this research but I think there was more info but emailed to Glen including family in Aus.

Cheers and Happy New Year  :D
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dogdancer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Glen.
Long time no talk. Are you still looking for info on JCB. I went to Victoria in 2010 and found his farm but not a lot else. 
Regards
Nigel.