Author Topic: Alexander McGregor of Stornoway  (Read 18512 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McGregor of Stornoway
« Reply #36 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Well, Forfarian - your  guess is as good as mine - as Carna is Australian, I think, she might have access to records that would confirm   :)

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 31 October 11 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Well, Forfarian - your  guess is as good as mine - as Carna is Australian, I think, she might have access to records that would confirm   :)

Very likely ;)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline carna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 31 October 11 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for continuing the search.

The Gaelic can make things quite confusing. Thanks for the help with that.

Not sure about Eca, in Victoria, but will check it out. Echuca does make sense though!

Recently found out (through Robert) that Alexander's brother Lewis was also in 'Sidney" Australia 1853.
Another interesting link to follow.

Thanks Everyone,
Carna, aka Karen

Offline grimnar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 23 July 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
What a very interesting read.  Pity it's so old.  Hopefully putting a reply here will notify the posters who were researching this family.

I am a descendant of the Gillanders family. My 6th great grandfather was George Gillanders, brother of Helen Gillanders mentioned in the OP.  George was the brother who married Sophia MacKid in Rosemarkie, Ross-shire.

Hoping this will find someone who wants to share info.

Regards,
Matt.   

Offline radial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 29 March 19 03:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes an interesting series of posts. I am a descendant of Alexander McGregor, and therefore Helen Gillanders, and would like to know more also.

It would be useful if there was a way to send a private message to other forum members, especially Carna, to track down Robert Russell mentioned previously.

Regards...

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 29 March 19 08:13 GMT (UK) »
It would be useful if there was a way to send a private message to other forum members.
There is. Click on the icon like a page with its corner folded back under the other person's name to send a personal message to them.

But if your query concerns someone who is no longer living, why not keep it where everyone has the opportunity to read and respond?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline radial

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 29 March 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
It would be useful if there was a way to send a private message to other forum members.
There is. Click on the icon like a page with its corner folded back under the other person's name to send a personal message to them.
I must be missing something (new to this) but I don't see anything like the icon you are referring to under any names.
Regards...
edit: after posting this, the icon is now there! Honestly it wasn't there before... but I did look at messages in my profile. Maybe that activated the icons? Thanks for your help.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 29 March 19 17:15 GMT (UK) »

edit: after posting this, the icon is now there! Honestly it wasn't there before... but I did look at messages in my profile. Maybe that activated the icons? Thanks for your help.

The icon appears after you have made 2 or 3 posts and it looks as if this happened in your case  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***