Author Topic: Henry Valentine Howells. WW1  (Read 4857 times)

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Valentine Howells. WW1
« on: Friday 12 August 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but, My late Grandfather; Henry Valentine 'Val' Howells, born Llandeilofawr 1893 and died Llanelly 1957. Married to Elizabeth Mary 'May' Staples 1919 when both were living on Albert street, Llanelly.

I remember from my late Father's reminiscences and his enthusiasm for the film 'Lawrence of Arabia' and his delight that one of my school texts was 'the seven pillars of wisdom', that 'Val' Howells was involved in the middle east with the Arab revolt against the ottomans during WW1. As part of Lawrence's supply train I seem to recall being told. I also know that much of his later life was blighted by injuries received during that war, possibly later on once British regiments were transferred to the western front to replace casualties. My cousin in Llanelli was sure that he had been gassed.

I cannot find a record or medal cardfor him in the archives, obviously because of the blitz. I have no idea which regiment/unit he was with as everyone of his generation within the family are long gone. I have no photos or any form of records apart from a copy of the wedding certificate that I purchased on line. Can anyone help me with this? Where do I start, what do I do? Etc,etc,etc.

;D
I tried being normal once, it was the worst 5 minutes of my life!
Chris

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Valentine Howells. WW1
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
There is a Medal Index entry for a Henry V Howell (no S)

Royal Field Artillery
Regimental Number: L/41362

There is also a  birth entry for a Henry Vincent Howell in 1879 so it may be his medal
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
I have just checked freebmd and the Henry Vincent Howell b 1879 died in 1881

There is a birth for a Henry Victor Howell in 1898 who could be another possible candidate for the medal 
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have just checked freebmd and the Henry Vincent Howell b 1879 died in 1881

There is a birth for a Henry Victor Howell in 1898 who could be another possible candidate for the medal 

A few known facts and apocryphal stories that may help anyone who can help me:

1: I apologise for not thanking you for your efforts sooner Carole, I have not been on RootsChat for some time and I do need to tidy things up a bit.
2: My cousin has been asking as she grew up in the same house as 'Val' and remembers that our grandmother told her that post WW1 he was a broken man. He died in Bryntirion Hospital, Llanelli on the 2nd Feb 1957 aged 63 (my age now).
3: I do recall my late father proudly telling me that his father, "Val', was in Egypt for some time and part of T. E. Lawrence's support column. Which suggests he was with a transport unit? It is also the reason Dad took me to see "Lawrence of Arabia" at the cinema.
4: We were told he was gassed on the western front, most British troops were withdrawn from the Middle East to bolster the forces in France and Flanders, I believe.
Chris

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 21:38 GMT (UK) »
There's a "snippet only" on FindMyPast under "H V Howell, soldier No. 891313" with an Egyptian link

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 16 22:03 GMT (UK) »
There's a "snippet only" on FindMyPast under "H V Howell, soldier No. 891313" with an Egyptian link

When I get round to renewing my FindMyPast membership, I shall have a look at that. I am building a store of records I need to look at.

Thank you.
Chris

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 November 16 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Something else to bear in mind is that he was born as plain Henry on 4/4/1893 Llandilo - both census he appears in shown him as plain Henry too even though younger siblings are shown with 2 Christian names.   It's possible he could have enlisted as plain Henry Howells too.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline chrish53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 November 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Something else to bear in mind is that he was born as plain Henry on 4/4/1893 Llandilo - both census he appears in shown him as plain Henry too even though younger siblings are shown with 2 Christian names.   It's possible he could have enlisted as plain Henry Howells too.

Annette
This is quite true, his birth certificate also shows him as just Henry Howells. When the Valentine middle name came in sadly we may never know. However, his marriage certificate and death certificate all show Valentine. He was known as Val, this I know from newspapers where he was shown as attending funerals where he was noted as Val Howells. On one occasion: Val Howells, his wife May and son Spencer (my Dad who was Henry Spencer). Added info. I have looked for Val and Valentine Howells.
Chris

Offline Sc00p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 November 16 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Would this be your man 3/4 of the way down column 4. http://newspapers.library.wales/view/4114868/4114871/40/
A search throws up references to bandmaster William Howells of Clarence Rd, Llandilo being the father with another son William awarded the military medal.   

Edit: The medal card for Private. Henry Howells 4152 Welsh Regiment would appear be a good match for this man given the references in the welsh papers to the Dardanelles, a reported promotion to Lance Corporal, plus the personal recollections.