Author Topic: Evan JENKINS. b.ab. 1882-3  (Read 11004 times)

Offline Clarxpi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evan JENKINS. b.ab. 1882-3
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chrissie246,

It seems we are related! I'm descended from Alfred Jenkins, Evan's brother.  I am currently researching the family history and I think we are both using the same family lore.  I found a photo of Evan recently which shows him on a visit while on leave from the front. he is posing with my grandmother May, Alfred's daughter.

I hope you see this, as I joined RootsChat just to reply!

Best wishes,

Peter
Squire/Squires (Hereford, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Lancashire, Glamorgan)
Jenkin/Jenkins (Cornwall, Glamorgan, USA (NJ, Pen)
Meredith (Hereford, Radnorshire, Monmouthshire, Breckonshire, Glamorgan)
Evans (Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan, Pembrokeshire)
Harris (Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan)
Brazendale (Lancashire)

Offline Chrissie246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,
What a lovely surprise  :) to wake up in Oz this morning and find your message.  Thank you for going to the trouble to join this site.

My dad was Albert Edward, the youngest son of Evan Jenkins and Mary (Jones)  He died about 5 1/2 years ago aged 90.  Dad never really knew his father as Evan died when Dad was about 4 and his mother a year later.

I presume when you say the same lore, that you have a copy of all the research that Edythe Broadbelt did, if not then I could send it to you.

I still have not been able to find out where Evan was born.  He always said on documents that he was born in Swansea, Edythe, says, Cape Verde Island, where some of the boys were born, Ernest Vincent, Frederick George and Albert Edward.  Trouble is Evan was "very loose" with the truth at times.

The Census records are also confusing.  1881, the first son was listed as Evan.  1891, Alfred was listed as the eldest son (15) and Evan (9).  I do have a copy of Alfred's birth certificate and yes he was the eldest.  The 1881 census may have been incorrect as most people always thought, the first son would be named after the father.

I have sent an enquiry to St. Vincent, Cape Verde Island, with $20 American, but have never received a reply.

We have very few photos of Evan.  One with his brother Fred, with both of them in their Army uniform taken whilst on leave during the war, so most probably about the same time as the one you have with May.  And one from a newspaper, the Queenslander, of all the soldiers who left Brisbane.   Also one of him at his blacksmith shop here in Australia. 

I would like a copy of any photos you may have please.  To do this, I will have to find out where you live, is it in Wales?  If so, I am coming over there in June, with my youngest sister Glynis, to attend my daughter Bron's wedding in Scotland and then Glyn and I will do some tripping around to Wales etc.

Maybe that is enough info for our first contact.  I would really like to stay in contact, to see if we can assist each other.

Cheers, Christine

Offline Clarxpi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 09:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,

Great to hear from you so quickly! I shall have to get busy posting so that I can use the PM system.

Yes, I'm in Wales and yes, I'm using Edith's very useful research.  My father was Terry Squires, son of May Jenkins. He died last summer and I recently managed to get hold of some photos he had been left by May.  There are a couple of Evan, one with May and one with Gladys. There are some of other family members to such as her brothers Gwyn, Ivor and Verdon. I'm still trying to identify some of them.

I think you may be right about Evan being born in Cape Verde, I seem to recall Edith saying that 4 of the children were born there.  I'm intrigued by his apparent denial of his family in Wales: there's a story there for sure!

It's quite frustrating that a lot of the family are recorded as being born in Swansea when most seem to have connection with Aberavon/Port Talbot, maybe it's just an administrative thing.  It's certainly far more annoying to keep seeing Wales referred to as England, or even as a county!

As soon as I have access to PM I'll send you my email address (it may already be on my profile?)

I'm looking forward to learning about my new family in Oz (I don't feel so bad about the rugby now!)

Peter

Squire/Squires (Hereford, Warwickshire, Staffordshire, Lancashire, Glamorgan)
Jenkin/Jenkins (Cornwall, Glamorgan, USA (NJ, Pen)
Meredith (Hereford, Radnorshire, Monmouthshire, Breckonshire, Glamorgan)
Evans (Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan, Pembrokeshire)
Harris (Carmarthenshire, Glamorgan)
Brazendale (Lancashire)

Offline Chrissie246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 January 15 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.  I believe I have heard the name Squires mentioned by my cousin Dawn, Hilda's daughter, who lives in Brisbane and I keep in contact with her.  We attended her 80th Birthday last September.

Regarding Edythe's research.  Yes she did a great job, put a lot of work into it and it was kind of her to pass it on.  But unless it is verified with documents, it may not always be correct.  Also many of the stories she tells were, on occasions, in her imagination and embellished somewhat.  It used to make Aunty Hilda quite cranky.

I am not sure what you mean by Evan's denial of his family.  Yes he did come to Australia and left the family in Wales, visited them when he was on leave during the war and then after the war, joined up with them again in Wales, my dad was born and then they all came to Oz in early 1920.

I didn't realise that the birth records could be so hard to pin down.  So many people say someone was born in Swansea, and yet it may have been at Port Talbot, Aberavon etc. where my dad was born, as you said.  My Dad would not appreciate it when asked was he English! 

In regards to Evan, so many say in Africa, but all his documentation, e.g.. Census as a child, marriage certificate, which I have, War records for WW1, death records etc. all say Swansea.  Dawn said, her mother said Evan would talk about being born in Africa.  Evan was a Kitchen Scout in the Boer War but I have not been able to get hold of his records to date.

Anyway he is my brick wall which I will get through one day.

In regards to the Rugby, I have a soft spot for Wales also.  Bron, my daughter and her fiancé, Stuart Campbell have a great time going off to the Rugby dressed as Oz and Scotland!  One of Evan's wife, Mary Jones, brothers was a great Welsh Rugby player - John Jones - his caps and colours used to be under glass at Cardiff Arms, don't know whether they are still there though, must ask Dawn.

Yes if we go onto the PM, we can exchange emails, making it much easier.  Now what would you like to know about our branch?  I will get Edythe's notes out and look at what she has about your family.  I am in a U3A genealogy group here in Toowoomba, Queensland and we meet once a month, so I will be able to let them know about your contact in February.

I do have the occasional contact with Brian and Richard Jenkins in Wales, Christmas cards and Facebook with Richard occasionally.

Cheers for now.  I will go and do the PM thing now, just read the Help section about it.

Christine