Author Topic: Need help with ancestry.com  (Read 8347 times)

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Need help with ancestry.com
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 24 June 04 11:32 BST (UK) »
OK Somehow I am not doing this right. I did as you said loaded image then print as PDF but if I print the document where I can see anytire thing the writing is to small for me to read and blurrs as I blow it up and if I zoom in first then save it saves only part of the image which then leaves me cutting and pasting it together again which I can do via screen captures.  :-\

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 25 June 04 17:00 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if you are still having trouble with getting decent images. I'm sure the fault is entirely mine but I'm a bit puzzled by the first part of Sue's instructions. Can I suggest that when you get to the point where you have clicked on 'Save' and you are then asked to indicate in the 'save as' box what type file you want to save you select '.pdf' and see what happens.

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 25 June 04 17:05 BST (UK) »
Well here is the problem I am having even when viewing the document full screen. At the default zoom level you can see entire document but problem is it's too small to read. So hence can't . as I tried and when you try and zoom in on it on the saved file it just becomes to distorted. I then hit zoom one time to the next level and here is where the problem arises. Zooming in by 1 level zooms in fine but problem is now the entire document isn't being shown any more as some of it goes off edges of ancestries custom viewer so when you try and save the image it does the same thing and the saved file gets cut off right where the one was cut off in their browser meaning you'd have to have multiple saves and then peice it all back together again using a graphics program and cross your fingers that it is still readable.

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 25 June 04 17:19 BST (UK) »
Does it make any difference for the better if you ignore their mrsid feature? I vaguely remember finding that it was better to do without it when i was first in your situation

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 June 04 17:22 BST (UK) »
Haven't found a way to get around this rediculous program. The image always loads in it for certain census images (not all but some unfortunately some I want) :(

Sue C

« Reply #23 on: Friday 25 June 04 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Clincher,
I don't have access to ancestry.com for the USA stuff anymore....but seem to remember that you had to "view full page" and then not right click image.....but use the tool bar above image and choose one of those options to "print to acrobat" and save as PDF...

Does that ring a bell with you?

Sue

Offline Clincher

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 25 June 04 18:27 BST (UK) »
No sorry Sue, I never needed the USA stuff -well, not yet any way-  I only needed UK Census. So it looks as if I've been talking from an even greater postion of ignorance than I knew

Sue C

« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 June 04 18:43 BST (UK) »
Oh it's ok Clincher!
It's only the 1920 that gives the problem I think, luckily my searches are all ancestry UK now, much easier!
I only know it really DOES work, but not having the option to actually go to the site and "do it again" I am relying on memory, that's a bit rusty! I can tell you that prog MSID is just dire and is not compatible with anything at all, so clever of ancestry (though typical of them, they are just so selfish!) However with a lot of help from the guy called Percy Verance (hope you get that one?!) you get there in the end, a lot of nasty words later no doubt!
Regards,
Sue

Offline Scottish2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 25 June 04 18:52 BST (UK) »
weird part as you said though is just for the 1920's it seems weird that they'd do it just for one census and not the rest if it were greed related. But then again who knows LOL :-\