Author Topic: Childrens home in Dundee  (Read 21041 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Childrens home in Dundee
« on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Great Aunt - Margaret Wallace was born in 1895.
I have a photo (attached) of what I think is the childrens home (with assorted children) where she worked.  The photo dates from about 1934 -36 (from the age of my father and grannie and great grannie who are also in the photo).

I wonder if anybody can identify the building behind? - I am trying to discover which children's home she worked in.  The family did have strong Salvation Army links, and I also remember talk about meetings at Herman Hall which was some bretheren meeting place.  Not sure if home might have been linked to either of these organisations.

thanks for any help
Rowanali

PS  I have added a second photo, taken much later of Mar with another group of children (she wasn't in the first one, it was her own mother - Mar would have taken the photo)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Childrens home in Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 August 11 15:51 BST (UK) »
hi Rowanali  :)

not a lot , but there is a mention of a Hermon Hall Dundee in 1951 -

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=201253

the architect seems to have been involved with a few buildings with religious
connections

ev

PS - also

http://www.flickr.com/photos/serifimdesign/4860975678/
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Buzancy18

• RootsChat Member
  • Lest we Forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hermon Hall in the Nethergate in Dundee is a Plymouth Bretheren meeting hall.

Buzancy18
Girdwood, Fergusson, Graham, Porteous, Watson, Donaldson,

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 August 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for these responses - I have followed up those from ev and I am intrigued by reply from Buzancy --- you say 'is' a meeting hall on the Nethergate - is it still in existence?

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 11 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Clement park was a salvation Army children's home in Dundee.(see link below)

Clement park in Lochee and I should imagine that the date you are looking at the surrounding area would all be greenfield as the building there now are all fairly modern.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0EM/

Yours Aye
Bruce

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Bruce

that looks good  :)
can't get the link to work but found this
if you click on the photo's you'll get a larger image
an older building with a modern annexe

http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/search_item/index.php?service=RCAHMS&id=176538

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ev

Somewhere on this site is a link to the Salvation army records for Clement Park
Someone else was looking for details from here poss a couple of years ago.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Found previous post links don't work but:

Repository:       SALVATION ARMY INTERNATIONAL HERITAGE CENTRE
Level:          Collection
RefNo:         CLH
Extent:       6 volumes and 1 document
Title:          Clement Park House
Date:          1950-1990s
Access Status:    Partial
ArchNote:       Catalogued by Steven Spencer, June 2009

Description

These are the records of Clement Park House, Dundee (CLH), 1950-1990s.

The Dundee Mothers' and Children's Home first openened in 1918, but it was not until December 1928 that the home re-located to Clement Park House. The building was named Florence Booth House at its oficial opening on 30 April 1929. A children's section opened in 1969 and the maternity section closed in August 1970. In 1991 the children's home was closed, and the Army's Dundee Homelessness Project re-opened the home as Clement Park Hostel. In October 2006 the Centre closed, sold and redeveloped as flats  with new-build homes in the grounds.

Arrangement

CLH 1. Mothers' and Children's Home
CLH 2. Children's Home
CLH 3. Leaflet for Clement Park House

Admin History

In 1918 the Dundee Mothers' and Children's Home opened at Seafield Lodge, 91-93 Magdalen Green, Dundee.  In June 1927 the home was removed to Cidhmore, Perth Road, Dundee.

In December 1928 the home was re-located to Clement Park House, Harefield Road, Lochee, Dundee.  Clement Park House was built for famous jute baron James Cox and was completed in about 1862.  He named the mansion after his wife, Clementina.

On 30 April 1929 the official opening took place, at which the building was named Florence Booth House, after the founder of the Women's Social Work wing of the Salvation Army.  In October 1935 an extension was added for married patients, and the following month an ante-natal clinic started.  This was followed on 9 December 1937 by additional extension, this time to provide associates' quarters.

As of 9 April 1951 accommodation at the centre stood at 25 lying In beds, 25 cots, 30 beds for unmarried mothers and 20 cots.

17 July 1969 saw the opening of a children's section.  This had the effect of reducing the accommodation available in the maternity section from 30 mothers to 20, while the new children's section could house twelve.  The maternity section closed in August 1970, and accommodation was later confirmed as being 24 beds, for girls '6 months to school leaving age' and boys '6 months to under [sic] 12 years'.

In 1991 the children's home was closed, and re-opened with the name Clement Park Hostel, as part of the Army's Dundee Homelessness Project.

In October 2006 the Centre closed and its building were sold.  Redeveloped as ten luxury flats by Buddon Homes with 23 new-build homes in the grounds.

Postcode as of 2009 is DD2 3JT.

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 August 11 19:37 BST (UK) »
Crikey it is amazing what you can all come up with.  I will try to access the Salvation Army Intnl Heritage Centre for a few other lines of enquiry too.

However, from what info given here about Clement Park, or Florence Booth House as it would have been in 1930's, there wouldn't have been any children there - just for mothers and children - ie to deliver and aftercare.  Homes for children weren't offered there until 1969, which would be too late for my picture.

Also, having checked out the photos of Clement Park on the modern site, I think the roof is a bit more fancy than the one in my photo - although it is hard to tell with the tree in the way and the angle it is taken from.

The hunt goes on....