Author Topic: more DONOVANs from Clonakilty  (Read 8106 times)

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
  • 3 x g grandmother Rose Heritage
    • View Profile
Re: more DONOVANs from Clonakilty
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 August 17 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John

Oh my word, all that information you have given me!!  (And I apologise to you, too, for taking so long.  Just so busy with the football club and other things I'm involved in)

(a) I hadn't seen or heard of that website you gave me before.  So much info on there.  It's brilliant!  Thank you.  (I have made a copy of the pages relevant to Timothy so I can go through it at my leisure)
(b) No, didn't know about the Donovan reunion in 1974.  I'm in WA so a bit far for me in any case.
(c) I am descended from Timothy and Margaret Donovan through their daughter Catherine (1870-1956)
(i) Thank goodness someone else agrees with me that Timothy Donovan did not come out with his siblings Daniel and Mary.  Here are some notes I made for myself some time ago:
Information on Timothy Donovan’s death certificate says he was 78 years old when he died in 1910 and had been 50 years in Australia – meaning he was born in approximately 1832 and arrived in Australia in approximately 1860.
The Timothy Donovan on the index to Unassisted Inward Passenger travelling on the Broughton Hall was aged 25 in 1857.  (This Timothy Donovan would therefore have been born 1832 and would have been in Australia 53 years in 1910, the time of Timothy’s death).
The Register of Assisted British Immigrants 1839-1871 has one Timothy Donovan aged 21 travelling on the Chowringhee in July 1852.  (This Timothy Donovan would have been born 1831 and at the time of Timothy’s death in 1910 he would have been in Australia 58 years).
Therefore, the Timothy Donovan from the Broughton Hall is the one most likely to be my ancestor.

More notes I've made about his possible birth: There are a Tim Donovan born 1830 and a Daniel Donovan born 1833 to John Donovan and Mary Keohane in the RC parish of Roscarbery & Lissevaird

Oh dear, it's all just so confusing.  I'll have an attempt at PM-ing you and see if we can email each other so I can get a grip on who's who!!

Regards
Ann
Devereaux: Kilkenny Ireland; Victoria Australia
Delacour: Vorden Netherlands; Victoria & Queensland
Church: Chester, England; NSW & Victoria
Marshall: Sussex England; Queensland Australia
Donovan: Cork Ireland; Victoria Australia
Heritage: Warwickshire England; Victoria
Steel: Montrose Scotland
Truesdale: Armagh Ireland; Victoria Australia
Brown: Armagh Ireland: Victoria Australia
Odell: Bedfordshire & Andover, Hampshire
Donovan: Somerset & Oxfordshire
Marks: Somerset & Gloucestershi

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 19 August 23 05:14 BST (UK) »
In regards to the Donovan's - Daniel, Mary and a Lawrence are listed on the Tasmania (1858). I can't find any trace of Lawrence. Am I right to think, the name was put down incorrectly, and should be Timothy.

The other thing, James O'Leary is listed on the Tasmania (1858). Are we assuming this is Arthur O'Leary, that Mary Donovan married later?

Brian

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 August 23 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian
It's possibly that the Lawrence listed on the "Tasmania" with Daniel and Mary should have been "Timothy" but I really don't think so given that I believe Timothy was born in 1832 (going on his age at time of marriage and at time of death).  I know it's only a three year difference but I believe it more likely that the Timothy Donovan who came out on the "Broughton Hall" was our Timothy because the age of this Timothy is closer to the ages as stated above.
The family histories say that Timothy came out with Daniel and Mary on the Tasmania but the proof is in the shipping list - the person that came with Mary and Daniel is listed as Lawrence!
The family histories also say that Daniel was born on Christmas Day 1835 yet Timothy is said to be the older brother!  As the histories are only recollections written some generations later, I don't believe they are very exact.
I can't find Lawrence either.  There is a Lawrence Donovan from Clonakilty who was a sailor/master but I can't see this being one of our family. 
Yes, it has been assumed that the Arthur Leary/O'Leary on the Tasmania is the person Mary Donovan married.
Regards
Ann

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 August 23 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response.

As it turns out, 2 Fogarty brothers marry 2 Donovan/O'Leary cousins -

6th born - 07-PF & EC, 06 of 11 John (1864-1906) m Margaret DONOVAN (1868-1953) in 1887.
11th born - 07-PF & EC, 11 of 11 Daniel (1874-1943) m Ellen O'LEARY (1872-1953) in 1896.

That Margaret Donovan had it tough - her mum dies when she is 4 in 1872, her husband dies in 1906 (leaves her with 11 children), her only brother dies in 1907 tragically) then her dad dies in 1910 - 3 inquests in 4 years.

Brian

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 00:45 BST (UK) »
How interesting that the children married into both families!  They certainly had it tough back then!
Regards
Ann

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 August 23 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hmm.

I was about to put pen to paper and noticed that an

Arthur Leary arrived on the Hilton in 1860, aged 23.
And above him on the manifest a Daniel Donovan, aged 30.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Offline Westozi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 01:53 BST (UK) »
It is possible as the marriage certificates of both occurred after 1860 however all family histories I've read say that 3 siblings arrived on the Tasmania.  Whether this is from personal memory or just hearsay I don't know.  I thought you might be interested in the following notes I made some years ago.
"An entry in his Bible by Daniel Donovan tells us what little we know about his Irish forebears. Eleven Donovan children were born in Ireland to John Donovan and Bridget Kuhane in the first half of the nineteenth century. Some of the family migrated to the United States; four came to Australia: Timothy, Daniel and Mary arrived together in Melbourne at the end of 1858; Michael Arrived later.
About Michael little was known till recently, until (April 1994) Mr Les O’Callaghan of Warrnambool, active in several Historical Societies, has turned up for me some information from among State Records of Births Deaths and Marriages. Michael is listed as having been born in Cork in 1845. He died in Warrnambool 1926 at the age of 76, {Cert. no 7926} and married Catherine Looney (1856-1945) some time between June and December 1876, {Cert no 4329}. Catherine was the daughter of Daniel Looney and Catherine Kelleher.
This is from a website that John O'Leary told me about - and is not necessarily true!  It was thought that John Donovan's wife's name was Mary Keohane"