Author Topic: Women in Striped Aprons - Photograph -- Completed  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
Women in Striped Aprons - Photograph -- Completed
« on: Sunday 14 August 11 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,
Has anyone got a clue as to what this group represent.
It has been suggested they are workers in the bacon factory in Thornhill in Dumfriesshire.
A more exotic suggestion is that they are an Eastern European group in their traditional dress.
All comments appreciated.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Women in Striped Aprons - Photograph
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 11 15:40 BST (UK) »

I think they might be fishwives who used to go round the streets selling fish from their creels.

Jessie

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 11 15:43 BST (UK) »
have you tried putting it on the photo restoration board see what they think over there was just wonderingif building at the side could be a church

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:07 BST (UK) »

Hi again,
              Google this Newhaven Fishwives it will take you to www.edinphotos.co.uk site there you will see them in

this costume. One of my ancestors was a fish wife and they carried the fish in creels on their backs and gutted them for you

at the door.

Jessie

*****ADDED ****** These are the outfits they wore to church on Sunday or on their annual "Fishermans Walk"

Jessie

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think they're fishwives wearing their usual colourful red and white costumes
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:22 BST (UK) »

Hi again,
              Google this Newhaven Fishwives it will take you to www.edinphotos.co.uk site there you will see them in this costume. One of my ancestors was a fish wife and they carried the fish in creels on their backs and gutted them for you at the door.

These are the outfits they wore to church on Sunday or on their annual "Fishermans Walk"

Jessie
Thanks Jessie that was spot on.  http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin_v/1_edin_views_begbie_newhaven_fishwife_90.htm
The friend who asked me about this will tease me because as you can see from my photo left I come from a Fisher Family in the NE of Scotland.

Thanks again Jessie
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes