Author Topic: The HERBERT Family from Sudbury  (Read 9418 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: The HERBERT Family from Sudbury
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
David are you familiar with this wonderful Suffolk idea of naming children with the surnames of forebears  ::)

It took years for us to work out where our 'surname/forename' came from.
It looks as though you definitely need a look up in the St Peter's parish records, would love to do it for you but up to my eyes at the moment with packing/decluttering/charity shop runs etc as we are about to move house after thirty one years in the Sudbury area. 

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 18:07 BST (UK) »
Try this link for info on when silk weaving arrived in Sudbury

http://virtualmuseum.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/recent-research/sudbury-and-silk/

it should take you to the Sudbury Museum Trust site.

Please remember that there is no conclusive evidence at this stage to verify Anne Golding as Thomas' wife just possibilities.  As Pat says you need a Look Up in the Sudbury PR's to try & confirm my suggestion.

Keziah

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 19:12 BST (UK) »
David, You may come across references to Val Herbert who is an historian in involved with both the Sudbury Society and the Museum Trust.  Together with Shirley Smith they have written a book about the soldiers of Sudbury in the two world wars.

http://www.sudburysuffolk.co.uk/greatwar/rollofhonour.asp

I am not sure if Val is interested in the history of her husband's family (they were at Chilton Hall just outside of Sudbury).  Will PM further.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 22:02 BST (UK) »
David

Go to the web link that Keziah gave earlier, it is for the Museum in the town and has a photographic archive as well as other information on the town.

If you click on the 1885 map, go to map 4
Map 4. New Street - Suffolk Square

Follow North Street up to the Horn pub on the right and across the road (unfortunately in the middle of North Street car park today) you will see

Herbert's Yard!

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on the history of silk weaving in Sudbury and the Sudbury Museum Trust. Unfortunately, it will be difficult for me to visit Sudbury in the near future. I am English but I now live in Tennessee in the US. I grew up in Cornwall as a result of being evacuated from London during WW2. I did visit Sudbury a few years ago for a few hours and enjoyed it very much. Of course, I didn't know as much about the Herberts then as I do now. I do remember the statue of Gainsborough.

I think you told me that the Sudbury Parish Records were not on a CD. At the minimum, it would be nice to find out the origin of the Herbert name, if this is possible. Perhaps I could e-mail Val Herbert? Do you know her e-mail address?

Keziah2, I understand that the maiden name of Anne Herbert has not been verified. Thanks again for the information you have both provided. Best wishes.
David

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 22:32 BST (UK) »
Will PM Val's email address.

Pat ...

I have to find two more!

Offline Patch1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 March 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

Sorry I know this is a bit late but I was googling Golding Herbert and came across this thread.

Thought you might be interested in the information I have. I am also related to the Herbert family.

Golding Herbert b. 1816 m Eliza Smith m. 1821 children:

Eliza 1841
Henry 1844
Golding 1847
James 1849
Emma 1850

Eliza Herbert married my great-great grandfather, William Roper. They had 12 children. I have lots of information on the desendants of William and Eliza and of William's ancestors. Please reply if this interests you.

If there is any more information on the Herbert family I would love to know so I an add it to my tree.

Thank you,

Catherine

Offline djpegg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Catherine: Thanks for the information. Henry Herbert ion your list of siblings is my maternal great grandfather. So we are distant cousins. In the period since I posted on RootsChat I managed to get into contact with someone who was a treasure trove of information about the Herberts from Sudbury. The person had researched their tree back to the 17th century. I don't think I should give her e-mail address here. Contact me by e-mail if you want it.
Hope this information is useful. Regards. David

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 March 12 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I don't think I should give her e-mail address here. Contact me by e-mail if you want it.

Rootschat rules:  Do not give out any email addresses in the body of your messages, but use a PM to send each other personal information  ;)

Pat ...

I have to find two more!