Author Topic: Hugh Quinlisk Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly  (Read 10247 times)

Offline irishdna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Quinlisk Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Seeking Quinlisk ancestors.  Hugh Quinlisk born about 1830 of Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, is my maternal great-great grandfather, father of Catherine Quinlisk b1850, my great grandmother.

John Keeshan b1838 of Mountdudley, Roscrea, Tipperary, married Catherine Quinlisk on 7 Feb 1869 at the Catholic Chapel of  Dunkerrin and lived in Pintown, Roscrea, Tipperary. Witnesses to their marriage were Jeremiah Leamey and Julia Quinlisk.  Is Julia Quinlisk the mother or sister of Catherine Quinlisk?

John Keeshan b1838 is the son of Edward b1805 and Catherine (Gilbert) b1810 Keeshan of Mountdudley, Tipperary. 

Does anyone have knowledge of the Quinlisk family?  Thank you.

Conroy: Reary, Rosenallis and Drummond, Laois (Queens)/Manhattan, New York / Gilbert:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Hogan:  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Keeshan: Mountdudley, Carrick Hill, Pintown, Roscrea, Tipperary/Forest Hills, New York / Kehily:  Blackrock and Rathmines, Dublin / Maher:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Evanston, Illinois / Mealey: Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Meara:  Offaly (Kings) / O'Brien and Parker :  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Quinlisk: Clonymohan, Templeharry, Offaly (Kings)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Quinlisk Clonamohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 09:46 BST (UK) »
It looks like there's may be a transcript of Catherine's baptism record on the Irish Family History Foundation pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie  That may give you the name of her mother and the townland your Quinlisk family lived. Based on a search of the index by father's name, there also may be a few siblings for Catherine baptised in the same parish.

Dunkerrin RC baptism & marriage records go back to 1820

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:04 BST (UK) »
Seeking Quinlisk ancestors.  Hugh Quinlisk born about 1830 of Clonamohan, Dunkerrin, is my maternal great-great grandfather, father of Catherine Quinlisk b1850, my great grandmother.

could that townland be Clonymohan ?

it's located in the civil parish of Castletownely in the south west of Co. Offaly near the border with Co. Tipperary

There's a Quinlisk household listed in that townland on the 1901 census - head of household is a Hugh Quinlisk - possibly brother of your Catherine ?

Quinlisk household, Clonymohan - 1901

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
possible marriage of a sister of Catherine :

Groom : James Green
  Bride : Mary Quinlisk
  Marriage date: 02 Mar 1867
  Marriage place: Shinrone, Roscrea, Kings (district)
  Groom's father: Michael Green
  Bride father: Hugh Quinlisk
  Bride and Groom both : Single

see : link  (FamilySearch Irish extracted marriages )

Catherine's marriage is also listed - link

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline irishdna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for clarification of the townland name of Clonymohan, the census for Hugh Quinlisk a possible brother of Catherine, and marriage info on Mary Quinlisk.  I have the baptism and marriage record for Catherine Quinlisk purchased from Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF).

Church Baptism Record for Catherine Quinlisk
Church baptism: 11 Aug 1850
Address:  none
District: Dunkerrin
Denomination:  Roman Catholic
Father:   Hugh Quinlisk
Mother:  Catherine Meara
Sponsor 1:  Michael Bowen
Sponsor 2:  Catherine Bowen

Church Marriage Record:
Groom:  John Keeshan
Bride:    Catherine Quinlisk
Marriage date:  7 Feb 1869
Address:  not recorded
District:  Dunkerrin   County:  Tipperary
Denomination:  Roman Catholic
Marriage place:  Shinrone, Roscrea, Kings (this info found on original document)
Bride father:  not recorded, but is Hugh Quinlisk
Groom father:  not recorded, but is Edward Keeshan
Bride: Single, spinster
Groom:  single, farmer
Witness 1:  Jeremiah Leamey
Witness 2:  Julia Quinlisk

Julia Quinlisk could be an aunt, wife of a Quinlisk, or sister of Catherine Quinlisk. On the IFHF site I found the church baptism records for 10 of 12 children born from 1870 to 1896 to John and Catherine (Quinlisk) Keeshan.  Also found church baptism records for John Keeshan and his four siblings born from 1833 to 1842

I don't know the church name for the baptisms and marriage. I want to get a copy of the original baptism and marriage records, so do I write a letter to all the parish churches in Shinrone, Dunkerrin, Offaly/Kings Co. near Roscrea?

Any help is appreciated.
Conroy: Reary, Rosenallis and Drummond, Laois (Queens)/Manhattan, New York / Gilbert:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Hogan:  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Keeshan: Mountdudley, Carrick Hill, Pintown, Roscrea, Tipperary/Forest Hills, New York / Kehily:  Blackrock and Rathmines, Dublin / Maher:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Evanston, Illinois / Mealey: Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Meara:  Offaly (Kings) / O'Brien and Parker :  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Quinlisk: Clonymohan, Templeharry, Offaly (Kings)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
I dont know about 'original certs' for historic church records, but you can view microfilms of the parish registers in the National Library in Dublin.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:47 BST (UK) »
On the IFHF site I found the church baptism records for 10 of 12 children born from 1870 to 1896 to John and Catherine (Quinlisk) Keeshan. 

You can search for the references for the marriages and births after 1864 and order civil certs for these from the GRO. Research certs are photocopies of the civil register.

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
 Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Marriage Cert
 Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline irishdna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 18:13 BST (UK) »
This is great! Thank you for the links. I am missing baptism records and want to get copies of them and death certificates, if available. Next is the challenge of the search!

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Usually the only baptism records you will obtain for historic records are in the form of transcripts, like those on the RootsIreland website. Most people save screenshots of these for their records.

Images of the registers for a few parishes can be viewed online on www.irishgenealogy.ie , but none for Co. Offaly or Tipperary at the moment.

Registration of deaths started in 1864, and you can search the index mentioned in the introduction topic earlier to locate possible matches. Note Irish Death certs dont include much useful details for family history purposes.

see : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests