Author Topic: Hugh Quinlisk Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly  (Read 10249 times)

Offline irishdna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Quinlisk Clonamohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 20:25 BST (UK) »
I did print screenshots of all records I found on rootsireland.ie.  Most of the records are incomplete with important information missing. Was this due to laziness or lack of ability to read and write? I thought maybe when they inputed information off the original document maybe only select info was inputed for whatever reason which is why I wanted to see a copy of the original document where I would find the missing info.  Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

One of my posts last night and another just now will not go through when I hit post; the page is frozen, too, so I have to exit and retype the post. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Do the Irish have one form like the Italian Situazione di Famiglia wherein you have parents names, birthdates, where born, who and date married for all of their children so at a glance you have a gold mine of information?

Thank you.
Conroy: Reary, Rosenallis and Drummond, Laois (Queens)/Manhattan, New York / Gilbert:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Hogan:  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Keeshan: Mountdudley, Carrick Hill, Pintown, Roscrea, Tipperary/Forest Hills, New York / Kehily:  Blackrock and Rathmines, Dublin / Maher:  Roscrea, Tipperary / Evanston, Illinois / Mealey: Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Meara:  Offaly (Kings) / O'Brien and Parker :  Reary, Clonaslee, Laois / Quinlisk: Clonymohan, Templeharry, Offaly (Kings)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
The usual details included on early RC baptism record would be date of baptism, name of the child and full names of both parents. Baptism records often include the names of two godparents, and sometimes a place of residence. The name of the parish and denomination is also included in the RootsIreland transcripts.

The majority of records on RootsIreland are complete transcriptions of the original records.

Civil records, i.e. birth and marriage certs, generally show more details than church records. These started in 1864.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 08:11 BST (UK) »
rootsireland.ie .. Most of the records are incomplete with important information missing. Was this due to laziness or lack of ability to read and write?
  :)

I like the question, it is probably a mixture of both reasons. It is a long story as to how rootsireland.ie got hold of these records, but my advice is to avoid buying their information where ever possible because of the paucity of information given and the errors in transcription

You need to go back to the original parish records from which these were transcribed, and these are not available online. Microfilm at NLI can usually be found if these people have a transcription

I would add, that given the small number of Quinlisks in Ireland, then it wuld be viable to do a complete tree for them, starting with 1901 census and working back

My interest is in the Quinlisks who went to Wexford and later one ended in Casement's Irish Brigade, and eventually being executed in Cork in 1920 as a spy for the British. Timothy Quinlisk on this link
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
In this case I believe the records on the RootsIreland website are likely to be complete transcripts of the original record in the register - the baptism record mentioned above contains all the details I would expect for an RC record of that time, as does the marriage.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline LiamK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Quinlisk Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 May 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
I have a John Quinlisk b about 1846 married Margaret Kinirons (1858-1912) and living in Shinrone - eleven children in the 1901 census. I wonder if they are related to your Hugh Quinlisk? There are several Quinlisk graves at Kilcomin graveyard with details available online. Liam

Offline LiamK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Quinlisk Clonymohan, Dunkerrin, Offaly
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 December 15 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I have a John Quinlisk, son of John Quinlisk, marrying Mary or Margaret Kinirons (b 1858) of Roscrea on 4 Feb 1876 in Roscrea. She was the daughter of Thomas and Winifred Kinirons of Roscrea. Liam