Author Topic: O'MOONEY, Quakers, Ballynacree  (Read 8021 times)

Offline Myglow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'MOONEY, Quakers, Ballynacree
« on: Tuesday 16 August 11 16:58 BST (UK) »
Quaker records show that Neal O'Money and wife, Ann, were received in Pennsylvnia on 8 mo. 23, 1729.
They came from Ballynacree Meeting, County Antrim, Ireland.  My question is:  Are there O'Mooney's still in the area and, are there Quaker records available for viewing?  I believe these folks to be my 6th or 7th great grandparents.
Thanks for any help.
Myglow

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'MOONEY, Quakers, Ballynacree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 August 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
The Society of Friends (Quakers) kept excellent records. Most meetings sent copies of their minutes and key events such as births, deaths and marriages, applications for certificates to provincial HQ in Lisburn, Co Antrim, so there is a central repository there. These have been copied and can be accessed at PRONI, Belfast. See:

www.proni.gov.uk/index/research_and_records_held/catalogues_guides_indexes_and_leaflets/online_guides_and_indexes.htm

They are not on line. If you are not able to view them there, it is possible to order copies of the microfilms in to your nearest LDS library, for a small fee.
The current Lisburn office is: Religious Society of Friends, 4 Magheralave Road, Lisburn, Co Antrim BT28 3BD. I have found them to be most helpful.

The name today is likely to have dropped the O’ (which was very common). In the 1911 census for Co Antrim, there was only one O’Mooney who was RC. No O’Money households at all. 7 Money households. (None Quaker). 677 Mooney households (none Quaker).

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

If you do have ancestors in the area the most common version of the name seems likely to be Mooney.

Elwyn

Offline Peterson46

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 17:13 GMT (UK) »
The o'Mooneys are also my 4th great grandparents. You probably know they are documented in The Immigration of the Irish Quakers in to Pennsylvania. Have you managed to trace Ballynacree's monthly meeting records?

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
A Quaker meeting was established in Ballinacree / Ballynacree near Ballymoney around 1673 [Guide to Irish Quaker records page 413]. The Moore family were said to have been closely involved with this meeting and I take James Moore [PRONI will 1727] to be the progenitor of the family. The main meeting place was in Antrim so you will find records relating to Ballynacree in the Antrim minutes in PRONI ref. MIC16/43:

ANTRIM OR GRANGE MONTHLY MEETING [GRANGE, BALLYNACREE, TOBERHEAD, COLERAINE AND ANTRIM]

7 Feb. 1740-4 Sept. 1763 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

16 Oct. 1763-24 May 1778 Men's minutes. [Antrim or Grange.]

10 Sept. 1780-13 Nov. 1785 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

25 Dec. 1785-1 Jan. 1790 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

12 Feb. 1790-12 Aug. 1791 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

23 Sep. 1791-8 Feb. 1793 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

12 Apr. 1793-9 May 1794 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

6 June 1794-7 Sep. 1798 Men's minutes (rough). [Antrim or Grange.]

12 Oct. 1798-9 May 1801 Men's minutes (rough).

11 June-12 Nov. 1801 Men's minutes (rough).

9 May 1794-8 Nov. 1800 Women's minutes [Antrim or Grange.]

1741-1800 Volume containing testimonies of disownment, letters of condemnation, certificates of removal, 1758-1800, marriages, 1768-77, births, 1751-1800, and deaths, 1741-97, and details about the discontinuance of Toberhead meeting, 1796.

IMMIGRATION OF IRISH QUAKERS INTO PENNSYLVANIA
Immigration of the Irish Quakers into Pennsylvania, 1682-1750 : with their early history in Ireland (1902) by Albert Myers

This book mentions that in the period 1682-1750 local Quaker meetings in Pennsylvania received 35 persons from the Ballynacree meeting with certificates of approval. Many of the certificates are quoted in the book which can be downloaded for free [searchable PDF] in the link below:

http://archive.org/details/immigrationofiri00myer

The O'Mooney family is mentioned in this volume [pages 34; 160; 354; 366].

Myer also mentions in his book that he visited Ballymoney in the year 1900 looking for evidence of where the Ballynacree meeting had been held but the knowledge had passed out of local folklore. Someone was able to tell him the of the Quaker burial ground for Ballynacree which he found out was at 'Lamb's Fold at Enogh near O'Hara's Brook about 2 miles west of Ballymoney'. He does not mention if headstones had been erected.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
He does not mention if headstones had been erected.

There probably weren’t any headstones. My understanding of Quaker philosophy is that headstones were seen as a vanity and so it was normal not to have one, though that seems to have changed slightly around the early 1900s. If you visit the Quaker Cemetery used by members of the Grange Meeting House at Millquarter, Co Antrim (often known as the Greene Garden) you will only find 3 or 4 gravestones, nearly all from the 20th century. The information board there explains that Quakers generally didn’t have gravestones in the 19th century or earlier.
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 September 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Someone was able to tell him the of the Quaker burial ground for Ballynacree which he found out was at 'Lamb's Fold at Enogh near O'Hara's Brook about 2 miles west of Ballymoney'. He does not mention if headstones had been erected.

Townland is Enagh.

O'Harabrook-
http://www.visitballymoney.com/oharabrook.aspx
http://lordbelmontinnorthernireland.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/oharabrook.html

Thought I remembered that there are some headstones in the Fold but might just be Cramsie ones?
http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/RobertThompsonBallymoney1.htm

Added- "The Lamb's Fold at O'Harabrook was originally a Quaker graveyard of the Ballinacree Quaker settlement. In more recent years it has become the private graveyard of the Moores of Moore Lodge and the Cramsies of O'Harabrook."
www.bbc.co.uk/history/domesday/dblock/NI-292000-423000/page/8
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hello: I am Cherie Lynn and my sons (former marriage) are Money surname. I see two descendants in this thread myglow and peterson46 and hope to share information about our Money family in the USA and see if there might be a connection found. We have also participated in DNA testing two cousins with Ancestry's DNA company and four of us with Family Tree DNA. From these we have matched to many branches of the family and hope that we might have others to join with us to identify family relationship. There are six different Money or Mooney families represented in our group (There is also a Moon and Mooney group but we are part of Mani on ftDNA.)

Jacob Money is found in Caswell County which was formed from Orange County (later became Person County) 1786 - 1800 and then moves. He was in and around the town of Hillsborough and the towns records were burned in the 1770s.

A few early records remain for Orange County and two are for Joseph Mooney or Joseph Money or possibly Joseph O'Mooney. I have thought this Joseph Money in a 1755 tax list and in a Road Orders for 1760?2? is the Joseph Money son of Neal Money O'Money O'Mooney and probably the 1st wife Mary and ?maybe the 2nd wide Ann? But this I am totally without documentation. I

This Joseph Money living in orange is also in Hillsborough the burned county and then it seems that he moved on to Georgia and the family is they by 1774.

Our Jacob Money is having children in the 1770s and we believe in Orange/Caswell/Person County a chruch record for 1786 and tax for 1793/4 and sons marry in the late 1790s. We do not find Jacob Money in the 1790 census. Some think the Rutherford County man might be him but DNA testing and the two families of the northern counties and the southern counties not matching then we do not claim the 1790 Rutherford.

I hope there are still Money O'Money O'Mooney Mooney descendants who might be interested in sharing research please message me and we could also email.

We believe for Jacob to have had children circa 1770 +- then must have been born 1750ish and before. His last record is 1811-13 in Surry County, NC. Certainly until I could prove a relationship then there is not need for me to research the family in Antrim, but if the family is correct I am hoping for researchers who know the family from Chester Pa and on to help me get back to Ireland.

Thank you, Cherie Lynn

(They are not related to either of the Maryland Money families nor the Mani Mooney family proven with DNA)
Kidd and Hutton: Newry, Lancashire
Lee and Thompson: Bishopwearmouth, South Shields
Jones and Thomas: Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire
Wilson: unk, Ireland, York, Ontario
Knox: unk, Scotland, York, Ontario
Salvas Dit Laviolette, Lizotte, Pelletier, Langois: Quebec & France

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea

Offline Cherielynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rome 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 April 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
I see I have made terrible typos in my previous post, please forgive
Kidd and Hutton: Newry, Lancashire
Lee and Thompson: Bishopwearmouth, South Shields
Jones and Thomas: Glamorgan, Carmarthenshire
Wilson: unk, Ireland, York, Ontario
Knox: unk, Scotland, York, Ontario
Salvas Dit Laviolette, Lizotte, Pelletier, Langois: Quebec & France

Finding my Mariner ancestors, I understood why I didn’t bat an eye when I had the chance to work off shore. Of course I said yes, not for long, but long enough, Licensed 1980. (Remember lost and missing 1983 Glomar Java Sea