Author Topic: St Andrews Baptismal Records from 1841 on  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrews Baptismal Records from 1841 on
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 January 17 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Richard, I've just found yr old entry relating to John McGovern b.1850 in Newcastle who later married Annie Cox.  I too, come from this McGovern line - my grandfather, William, being one of John's son's.
I haven't been successful in finding John's father or more information about his mother Catherine McDaniel, but I haven't given up just yet.
McGovern - Wragg - Nicholson - Rollins families in the Northeast and Yorkshire.  Apart from the Wragg family, the rest all originated in Ireland.

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hatbox2009.
Hi good to hear from you. Well, I have to say that the situation on info is not better now that what it was a few years back. I did start to look at the Parish registers for Ireland a few months back, the plus to that is that they are copies of the original entries. They are difficult to read, and it is a matter of browsing to certain extent. I checked this morning seems I have lost the link. I will endeavour to find the site again.
Richard

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for replying Richard.  Can't seem to find many people tracing this line of the family - where are they all ?
I'm currently following an online Genealogy course with Strathclyde Uni and I hope to find some information on getting around brick walls that I may be able to use. 
Do keep in touch.
Jo  :)
McGovern - Wragg - Nicholson - Rollins families in the Northeast and Yorkshire.  Apart from the Wragg family, the rest all originated in Ireland.

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jo

Have found the website I mentioned earlier. I know why I gave up the search at the time. If the girl did come from Mayo, which parish, there is an awful lot of them. The site is a little fiddly to start with
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0739

If you do search let me know how you get on.  I am starting in the North of the County

Richard

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 March 18 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard, here we are again a year later and still haven't tracked down the elusive Catherine McGovern.  However, I have found out a couple of things -  I obtained a copy of the marriage certificate for her daughter, Mary to Peter Devitt in Darlington in 1860 and was most surprised to find that Mary's surname on the certificate is Bartley and her father was John Bartley.  I did come across somewhere that Mary and John McGovern b.1850 (in Newcastle) were half brother and sister, but cannot remember where, so I guess this would fit in.
Another relative sent me a copy of a photo of Catherine McGovern dated 1881 which I think you forwarded to him.  When I was at the WDYTYA event in Birmingham last year I took a copy of the photo and had it analysed. Result was it couldn't have been dated 1881 from the clothes she was wearing, as they didn't come into fashion until almost a decade later.  Which has brought me to thinking, is that definitely the same Catherine - she would have been approx 75-80 years old if the photo is dated as 1891 - does she look that old in the photo ?  What do you think ?
jo_alexandrou@yahoo.com

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Have sent you an email with updates. Richard

Offline Hatbox2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Richard.  Look forward to receiving it.

Offline RTB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Should have by now. , just in case I have the wrong email etc.
Darlington Births Mother maiden name. Type as written

Catherine David     B. June ¼ 1862 10A/18        Bartley

John Devit            B. June ¼ 1864 10A/11         MaGowan

James Devit          B. Mar ¼ 1866 10a/7            MaGororon

Michael                 B. June ¼ 1868                   McGuane Birth at Wigan

Joseph Devitt        B. June ¼ 1871 10a?26        Bartley

William Devitt       B. June ¼ 1878                    McGovern

Peter Devitt          B. June ¼ 1880                    McGovern

Hi to you both

Firstly Catherine McGovern photo. We were informed by one of Dorothy’s relatives that this was Catherine, but we all know over time how things are altered. Stories change. They only suggestion I have this maybe Mary Devitt. Next time Dorothy speaks to her cousin, I will ask find what the reason was.

Following on from Peter’s email way over a year ago,. Recently I started having a look, first at the 1861/1871 census at Clay Row then Edward St, Darlington by 1881 they are living in Middlesbrough, Haven’t look at any later census, yet.

Looking at the Darlington births, the first one threw me with the name Bartley. Following on from traditional naming traditions Catherine (Kate) seemed the right girl but the name Bartley, so I sort of dismissed it. not thinking of parents two marriages?

So back to the R.C parish registers I will now look for Bartley. It’s a long job as there is no search facility, so page by page, Some of it is in Latin, which takes awhile to get use to.

Stay in touch, One day we may have answers.