Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Finding out more about Adopted Children  (Read 2151 times)

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Finding out more about Adopted Children
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 00:43 BST (UK) »
An ancestor of mine James McCulloch was born in Dundee in 1867.  I can't find his birth entry but did find a Marriage entry dated 4th Jan 1895 in Dundee when he was aged 28 years old.  He married an Agnes Johnston Duffy who was aged 27 years.  Her middle name comes from her Mother Rachel Johnston.  Agnes and her family appear to come from the Haddington area of East Lothian.

In the 1901 census they were living at 19 Bernard Street, Dundee.  They had no children living with them.  His occupation appears to be Shoe Maker and she was a Jute Weaver.

In the 1911 census we find James and Agnes still together (married 16 years) and still living in Bernard Street.  Interestingly the census notes they have a 6 year old adopted daughter named Elizabeth Johnston born Auchterarder perthshire.

Can I find out more about Elizabeth Johnston and the adoption.  I assume not, but it seems a coincidence that her surname just so happens to be the same as Agnes's mother.  Could it be a family member?

Any insight or assistance gratefully appreciated.

Jim

Gordon, McCulloch

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Finding out more about Adopted Children
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

prior to 1930 adoption was on a adhoc basis basically no records were kept and most although not all adoption's were amongst family and friends

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/adoptions.asp

The only Elizabeth Johnstone born Auchterarder in the time frame you are looking at.

1 1904 JOHNSTONE ELIZABETH SIMPS F AUCHTERARDER /PERTH 329/00 0025

Copy of the birth cert available to view/download at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline jmg1893

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Finding out more about Adopted Children
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

prior to 1930 adoption was on a adhoc basis basically no records were kept and most although not all adoption's were amongst family and friends

http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/adoptions.asp

The only Elizabeth Johnstone born Auchterarder in the time frame you are looking at.

1 1904 JOHNSTONE ELIZABETH SIMPS F AUCHTERARDER /PERTH 329/00 0025

Copy of the birth cert available to view/download at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Yours Aye
BruceL

Bruce,

Many Thanks for the reply.  I've downloaded a copy of the birth record of Elizabeth, it reveals that she was born on 17th May 1904.  Her mother was a domestic servant named Helen Johnstone.  There are no details for her Father.  The record states illegitimate.

As it's a different spelling of the surname Elizabeth may not be related to Agnes.  As you stated the National Archives currently holds no records for adoptions before 1930 and so it may remain a mystery.

Thanks again for kindly replying.

Jim

Gordon, McCulloch

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *COMPLETED* Finding out more about Adopted Children
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

I wouldn't make to much of different spelling over the years I have found a lot of my ancestors with
different spelling of the same name and that includes siblings in the same family. It depends on who furnished the information at the registration. If Elizabeth has a middle name it may over a clue.
If you can trace Agnes's family it may offer further clues as to Elizabeth's ancestry.

Yours Aye
Bruce