Author Topic: Help please with the disappearance of Lavinia Ellen McDonald!  (Read 4196 times)

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help please with the disappearance of Lavinia Ellen McDonald!
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

One of my brick walls is Lavinia Ellen McDonald born 5 June 1860 in Manchester to Peter and Margaret McDonald.  Peter was a tailor and an Irish Traveller.

I cannot find the family in 1861  ???  There is a brother Daniel born in 1863 in Bradford, Lavinia's mother Margaret dies in Bradford in 1866.  Peter, Lavinia and Daniel are on the 1871 census living in Bradford.  Then Lavinia's father Peter died in 1875 (still in Bradford), the informant on the death cert was Jane McDonald, daughter!

Daniel (my OH ancestor) can be traced very easily, he settles in Hull, but alas I can find nothing on Lavinia.  I have trawled marriages, deaths, censuses to no avail.  She was 15 when her father died and left her an orphan, and am wondering if another traveller family would have taken her in maybe had a name change.  I realise I am grasping at straws!

If someone could enlighten me as what may have happened to Lavinia within a travelling community, it would be really appreciated.

Kath

P.S.  Apologies for rambling!
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mapacaja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with the disappearance of Lavinia Ellen McDonald!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 April 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I note that you have an interest in the McDonald family, namely Peter, would be interested to know when Peter married Margaret Carroll ? and where ? My interest is in the McDonald's in Hull, who married into my mothers family-Peach, would like to exchange information on this family with you.
look forward to hearing from you, kind regards , Maurice Hamson, Nelson, New Zealand,
HAMSON-Northants,Lancashire,ERY, PEACH-Cornwall,Dorset,Somerset,Hull
JOHNSON-ERY, DAVIS-Dorset, MAY-Cornwall, KNIGHT-Cornwall,  McDONALD-Lancashire, Hull Yorkshire,,
BENNETT-Cheshire,

Offline mapacaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 17 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath, I have an interest in this McDonald family, can we please exchange information.  I cannot find details of Peter's marriage to Margaret Carroll, can you please confirm this for me, thanks in anticipation, regards, mapacaja, Nelson, New Zealand,
HAMSON-Northants,Lancashire,ERY, PEACH-Cornwall,Dorset,Somerset,Hull
JOHNSON-ERY, DAVIS-Dorset, MAY-Cornwall, KNIGHT-Cornwall,  McDONALD-Lancashire, Hull Yorkshire,,
BENNETT-Cheshire,

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 17 13:06 GMT (UK) »
What information leads to Peter being a traveller???

There is a tree on A******y which gives Margaret's maiden name as Farrell or Carroll

they have Margaret's p.o.b. as Scotland -could they have married there??

and daughter Jane b 1849 Manchester

I do not know how well sourced this tree is

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline katherinem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 February 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kath, I have an interest in this McDonald family, can we please exchange information.  I cannot find details of Peter's marriage to Margaret Carroll, can you please confirm this for me, thanks in anticipation, regards, mapacaja, Nelson, New Zealand,

Hi Maurice, we have previously communicated by email in April 2015, I still do have the marriage details for Peter and Margaret.

Hi Suz, thank you for your interest, Margaret's maiden name was definitely Carroll and her possible place of birth is Edinburgh.  All possible places of marriage, Scotland, Ireland (what is on line so far) have been checked.

It is Lavinia that I am trying to track down, as I am really interested as to what happened to her.  When the 1939 register came online, I was hopeful in possibly finding her on that, using her date of birth, but alas was unsuccessful.

Kath
Bladen (Tipton, & Yorks), Teece, Cooke(Coalville), Stott (Staffs), Carr, Armitage, Henrickson, Lisle (Yorks), Pailing, Stott, Leach, Davies (Llanasa), Taylor, McDonald, Garry, Brackenbury, Brand, Rewston
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 17 13:21 GMT (UK) »

Hi Suz, thank you for your interest, Margaret's maiden name was definitely Carroll and her possible place of birth is Edinburgh.  All possible places of marriage, Scotland, Ireland (what is on line so far) have been checked.

It is Lavinia that I am trying to track down, as I am really interested as to what happened to her.  When the 1939 register came online, I was hopeful in possibly finding her on that, using her date of birth, but alas was unsuccessful.

Kath

Hi -I wondered where you found the information that Peter was a traveller -as I was hoping to find some of his family -siblings etc with traveller families to see who Lavinia may have been with - kind of  backwards research to come forwards!
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maurice hamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath, we have communicated in the past regarding Lavinia Ellen McDonald, as the McDonald family married into my Peach family in Hull, Yorkshire, some years ago. I like you have searched every possible site to no avail to trace members of this McDonald family.I have Peter and Margaret children as Jane born Manchester 1850 and deceased 24th August, 1852, Lavinia Ellen born 5th June, 1860, in Manchester and Daniel born Bradford 23 June 1863, and deceased 12th April 1931, in Hull,
Janes Mothers maiden name is shown as Andrews, Lavinias mother is shown as Carroll, and Daniels mothers name as Carlton, I have Peter McDonald on 1841,1851 and 1861 and 1871 Census, Jane is shown on the 1851 Census, Lavinia is shown on the 1871 Census, and Daniel on all Census from 1871 through to 1911, I can't trace the marriage of Peter McDonald to Margaret Carroll, can you help me with this please, I look forward to hearing from you, regards, Maurice, Nelson, New Zealand

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Maurice,

Welcome to RootsChat :) Kath was online earlier so hopefully will reply to your message very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maurice hamson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Sarah