Author Topic: Darsham Suffolk  (Read 12094 times)

Offline MandaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darsham Suffolk
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All.
I am doing some research on Darsham in Suffolk and am struggling to find previous owners/tenants of a property called Darsham House (or may be Hall). It was built in 1679. I have only been able to link the names Parry-Crooke and Purvis to the house :(
If anyone has any information I would be very very grateful x x x

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Darsham Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  ;D

The Local History Recorder in the parish of Darsham is the widower of the previous LHR who wrote a couple of books on the parish.  He has an archive of material on the village and may be able to help further.

When you have made three posts to Rootschat, I will be able to send you a PM (private message) with the email adddress and details.

Pat ...
www.slhc.org.uk/recorders.htm

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 August 11 13:44 BST (UK) »
These two pages may help, but it appears that it was built earlier in the 15th C. 

British Isles Genealogy, http://www.bigenealogy.com/suffolk/darsham_parish.htm
English Heritage, http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/Details/Default.aspx?id=285631&mode=quick

Michael
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline MandaSmith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 11 10:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you sooo much guys. I am still relatively new to all this so all your help is greatly appreciated xx

Offline Arnolds Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello there. I have extensive information about Darsham House and its former residents, history, current ownership. This information was gained from the excellent work of local archivists Olive and Ron Reeve, some recent archival research by Joanna Martin, architectural historian Phillip Aitken, and recent uncoverings during its current renovations. Can I ask what you need the information for? I would be very happy as well if you can add to the knowledge.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Arnolds Hill and welcome to Rootschat.

I wonder if you are aware that Ron is continuing as the Local History Recorder for Darsham as we have lost dear Olive.

The beautiful Melford Green Alpacas now roam the grounds of Darsham Old Hall having relocated from Long Melford in the west of the county.

Pat ...
Hon Recorders' Secretary
www.slhc.org.uk

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Arnolds Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Pat

Sadly, we never met Olive, but have heard so many good things about her. We, as current owners of Darsham House, are greatly enriched by her work.

We have been in contact with Ron, and have promised to give him all we have a soon as we have collated all material to a manageable form.
We have recently been in touch with the owners of Darsham House in the 1970s, who gave us some wonderful archive images, including a video of the village fete that was held at the Church and Darsham House in 1974. We will be sharing this with Ron very soon.

We look forward to meeting you.

Edgar

Offline Jules MacP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 July 14 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi, Ive just found this post and I see its years old but if anyone is interested I have knowledge of the Purvis family who were associated with Darsham House. Feel free to leave a message if you still require infomation

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 July 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Welcome Jules,

I'm sure Pat or one of the others will be along soon to respond to your kind offer.  :)

I have just stumbled upon this thread and having done a little googling found some information about Darsham House, in particular some undated information about repairs by Architects Nicholas Jacob.  Oh my! Breathtaking! The house is stunning, and the architects appear to have done an exemplary job! The stuff that dreams are made of (my dreams anyway) ;D

Some 'before' and 'after' photos would be of great interest ....