Author Topic: Isabella Neil Harwood, Edinburgh  (Read 2903 times)

Offline marajan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabella Neil Harwood, Edinburgh
« on: Wednesday 17 August 11 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just purchased a book printed in 1870, and it has an inscription from Philip Harwood to niece Isabella Harwood Neil, dated 1871. I'd love to know more about Isabella and if possible contact her family to let them know the book exists, so would appreciate any information you can give about her. Here's what I have found so far, if I have the right people that is. 

Isabella was born in Edinburgh 2nd Sept 1847, to David Neil (1811) and Catherine Johnstone (b. Shetland Isles). She had a sister by the name of Euphemia, born 1851, and on the 1861 census they are both scholars at the Merchant Maiden Hospital in Edinburgh. I understand that this may have been a academic institution for the disadvantged daughters of local merchants at the time. In 1871 and 1881 Isabella is a governess, and living at 10 Brighton Street.

Uncle Philip Harwood appears to have been born in Worcester, 1811. In early life he was a Reverend with some strong views I think, before becoming the editor of the Saturday Review newspaper. His daughter was Isabella Neil Harwood, a well known female writer of the era, also writing under the name Ross Neil (her grandparents surnames).

If anyone can tell me more about Isabella and whether she married, what happened to her, any children etc, I'd appreciate it please.  The surname Garriock has come up, but I don't know whether it is relevant.

Mnay thanks
Jan

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Neil Harwood, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Isabella H Neil, 40 of 10 Brighton Street, Edinburgh married John Pole, a ship-master aged 37 of the S.S. Skalda, Grangemouth. They were married 21st July 1888 at 15 Dryden Place, Edinburgh. Parents described as David Neil, law clerk (deceased) and Catherine Neil m.s. [maiden name] Johnston. The witnesses were possibly both relations of Isabella; Euphemia Neil and James Johnston.

Looking forward, a death shows for Isabella Harwood Pole (m.s. Neil) in Newington, Edinburgh in 1915.

hume :)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

As per their marriage, John Pole was a widower in 1888.

1891:

Address: 2 Keir Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Isabella H Poll [sic], f, wife, 43, ship captain's wife, b. Edinburgh
Lawrence W Poll, m, son, 15, scholar, b. Leith
David Poll, m, son, 13, scholar, b. Leith
Richard Poll, m, son, 11, scholar, Leith
Jane P Hepburn, f, servant, 16, general servant, b. Alloa

1901:

Address:2 Keir Street, Edinburgh, Midlothian
Isabella H Pole, f, wife, 53, -, b. Edinburgh
David G Pole, m, son, 23, solicitor, b. Leith

Death:

Isabella Harwood Pole, married to John Pole, ship-master, aged 68
d. December 31st 1915 @ 13 Cameron Park, Edinburgh
parents - David Neil, law clerk (deceased) and Catherine Neil m.s. Johnstone (also deceased)
Death registered by John Pole, widower

hume

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Since it would appear Isabella had no natural children of her own (only stepsons through her marriage to John Pole), I decided to see if Euphemia married and/or had any children of her own. Sadly not ...  :'(

Euphemia Neil, fundholder, aged 84
d. October 31st 1935 @ 13 Cameron Park, Edinburgh
parents - David Neil, lawyer's clerk (deceased) and Catherine Neil m.s. Johnston (also deceased)
Death registered by Amy Stewart - companion

It appears Euphemia was a governess and lady's companion in Leith and Glasgow, etc.

hume :)

Offline marajan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 20:15 BST (UK) »

Thanks you very much for the detailed information here Hume. It's a shame that neither Isabella nor Euphemia had children of their own. I guess I'll try the Uncle's side of the family next then, see if he has surviving relatives.

Regards
Jan

Offline bayanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 October 17 13:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who the mother of Catherine Johnston was?
Her father was a John Johnston.

Did she die shortly after Euphemia was born?

Might there be a headstone for her in Edinburgh.

Did David Neil die in 1858?

Thanks
Tony
www.bayanne.info/Shetland

Offline bayanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
OK, I have found Catherine Johnston, and she died on 27th September 1907 at 2 Keir Street, Edinburgh, parents were John Johnston and Margaret Hunter. She was born on 30th November 1819, and baptised on 27th December 1819.