Author Topic: Gibralter birth c1854  (Read 1853 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gibralter birth c1854
« on: Thursday 18 August 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know, please where I would search for a birth in c1854?

I am pretty sure it is not a military birth as I have searched all the relevant indexes and found nothing which seems to be applicable.

I am looking for the birth of:

Wiliam Faulkner

I have him in the censues (please do not give me this information as I already all the relevant ones and his death entry as I have been previously assisted by fellow RCs  ;D) and he always gave Gibralter as his place of birth.  His father was also William Faulkner and is stated to be "Seaman" on William jnr's marriage cert. Therefore, William snr could have been a merchant seaman?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Gibralter birth c1854
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 August 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
Personally I would try Europe in the new family search site; if that fails I would have a look at the National archives site to try and establish what they have in British births abroard.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 August 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the Gibraltar Genealogy website?

www.GibraltarGenealogy.com

I have never used it, so I have no idea what they can do for you! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 August 11 14:59 BST (UK) »
Seems a good idea to me.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gibralter birth c1854 - yet another brickwall!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 11 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Redroger: I have already searched FamilySearch and found nothing; will have a look at the National Archives to see if I can find anything although a quick look hasnt turned anything up yet but will continue looking.

KGarrad - Thanks I have already found this website and looked and found nothing.

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gibralter birth c1854 - yet another brick wall!
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 September 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
I made enquiries with the Civil registration dept in Gibraltar who have searched the records they have available.  However, although voluntary registrations began 3 Oct 1848, it was not compulsory until 3rd Jan 1887 so I have been advised that his birth was not registered with them.

She has, however, given me a list of Churches with different denominations in Gibraltar and said that their records date back further ie before 1887 so I may have some luck with these.

I have accordingly emailed the first on the list which is a Church of England as I thought this was a good place to start.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:39 BST (UK) »
Just a crazy lateral thought! There is a Gibraltar Point in Lincolnshire, near to Skegness so do you know of any Lincolnshire connections?

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 September 11 16:50 BST (UK) »
HI no, I am afraid I do not know of any Lincolnshire connections at all but thanks for asking  :)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 September 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
5 William Faulkners were born in Lincolnshire in 1854, none of them unfortunately within 40 miles of Gibraltar Point, so please forget my mad idea. :)