Author Topic: "Lord Delaval" built Berwick-upon-Tweed  (Read 9074 times)

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Lord Delaval" built Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 August 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Micheal,

Thanks for giving me that interesting information about Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Regards MAPS
Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 August 11 11:44 BST (UK) »
Although this is absolutely not conclusive, only a very rough guide, it is interesting -
Enter the surname Hill and date 1881 here:
http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 August 11 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Ruskie. I got a bit held up while writing my last message and found your last one an hour or two later. 
Yes it's interesting and I did read somewhere years ago about the name Hill being most common in the West Country.
There is actually another puzzle about this Hill family. We've been told there was a so called German connection but I have discovered that there were quite a few people named Hill/Berg, or Hill- Berg in the Somerset area. That's for another day.

Thanks again, MAPS
Mainland [Orkney/Middlesex], Hill [London/Bristol], Adamson [Fife], Nicholson [Fifi], Tippett [Cornwall/Devon],
Heays [Tasmania/England], Reid [England/Scotland], Halcrow, Williams and many others.

Offline Zoshi2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hello there, (Jenny?);

I read with interest about your Hills traveling aboard the Lord Delaval on Rootschat and the Borders site.

I'm writing to share the fact that my great great grandparents were travelling aboard that vessel on the very same journey, arriving in Port Philip on Feb 27, 1853. My family lived in Middlesex but had connections with both Bristol and Berwickshire. I wouldn't be surprised if our families even knew each other if not before the journey at least during it. In addition, my grandfather's uncle happened to be a boot maker in Bristol.

I realize that eventually you discovered your Hills embarked in Berwick and hopefully by now you've found the answers to questions about their lives once arriving in Australia and New Zealand.  I myself have just discovered that my third great grandmother, who traveled with her daughter, son in law and 6 grandchildren to Port Philip on that journey, died a year after arriving. The Australian archives are great!

Should you be interested in contacting me, please feel free.

Best wishes,
Dar

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there Zoshi,

I was most interested to read about your family being on the Lord Delaval. It's great that you have found out so much about them in the Aussie records.
My husband was actually the one who found those Hills on the NET and he followed them up as far as the arrival records in Australia. Do you have these pages of the ships passengers on arrival in Melbourne ? We do so let me know if you'd like them . They are copies of the original log.
We haven't really got any further with this possibility that it may have been our Hills.  The extra "son" Charles makes it a bit less likely.
We do have other options as to how the father and son managed to get to NZ but can't really follow up on them either. I will keep trying.
Perhaps you may have a tip about following up on people after their arrival in Aust.?
Bye for now,
MAPS
PS by the way how did you come to know my name ?

Offline Zoshi2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 May 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Maps;

I was pleased to receive your response, thank you!!

As far as me finding your name, I forget where it was exactly, it may have been on the Borders site, or if not there, another one, possibly Ancestry? Can't recall, sorry!

It is kind of you to offer to share the arrival's list. I'm not sure if I've seen it or not. I saw your Hills on the 'outgoing list' from England but without searching through my copious files (which I must leave for now until I have some free time) I can't quite remember if I have the incoming documentation or not. Perhaps if you'd kindly send it to me I'd know!  Those passenger lists have a way of piling up! I have many families who moved from one continent to another going back centuries.

The question of the Hill's extra child 'Charles' - I have found two extra children via passenger lists for my own Churcher family. It took a lot of doing but I eventually found the birth of one of them (in a county in England where five siblings were not born) and his death, aged 7 in Canada. I still have one more son unaccounted for, both birth and death. I'm beginning to wonder whether he was adopted - perhaps a child of a single mother who may have even been related. What I'm trying to say is, that an open mind may lead you to answers.

I'd love to provide some tips but again, I'll need some time to see what I can find and I'm certainly no expert. I believe I used a link to Australian archives - I'll see if I can find it. Besides writing to a very helpful librarian in Victoria (years ago), I've taken a look at newspapers and cemetery records. Not a lot but they did prove valuable.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Best wishes,

Zoshi

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 June 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoshi,

Thanks for your answer there were a few hidden tips in it so thanks.
I'm going to attach the list. Many years ago my husband asked an Australian researcher to see what she could find. We received photo copied versions of the Micro fiches in the mail  from her. I've digitalised them for you and hope you can work it all out.
I hope it's of some use to you.

Kind regards MAPS

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 June 17 11:36 BST (UK) »

A few more pages to come. MAPS

Offline MAPS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 June 17 11:42 BST (UK) »

I think there's one more page. If you are missing some let me know. there should be nine including the letter from the researcher.

Cheers MAPS