Author Topic: Rowland/Roland - Huguenots in Duffield, Derbyshire  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Rowland/Roland - Huguenots in Duffield, Derbyshire
« on: Saturday 20 August 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have long been trying to sort out my Rowlands!   I have recently come across something that suggests they may have been Huguenots and come from France (Pont in Royau which I believe is Paris).
I cannot prove the connection absolutely but am very suspicious.   There is a family story passed down that they came from Suffolk originally - not one has been found in Suffolk although I know some Huguenots arrived there.
I am actually looking for James Rowland but he had a brother, William and I have found William Rowland b 17.4.1763 in Shottle, Derbyshire.   He died 21.6.1836 in Greasley, Nottinghamshire.   He married in 1787 to Amy Paxton Levers/Leviers b 20.3.1769 from Greasley (newhope), Nottinghamshire.
William's mother was Sarah Briggs b 1740 Shottle, Derbyshire who married 14.12.1762 to Samuel Rowland b 1742, Shottle, Derbyshire.   He died 22.4.1768 in DENBY, Derbyshire (I suspect that should read "Derby").
Samuel Rowland's father was Daniel Rowland b Duffield, Derbyshire in 1709.
Daniel's father (no first name) was born in 1685 France.  Mother not named.
On the Rootsweb Huguenot list there is a few Rowlands spelt variously but one stands out - Michel Roland age 62 a Tailor (the Rowlands were all Tailors) and his wife Judith.   How can I go about proving this???

Sue - grateful for any help or suggestions

ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland - Huguenots in Duffield, Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,

Some of the information you have may not be correct, if from the IGI then it may be Patron Submitted
and should be checked.

For instance:-

Samuel Rowland = Sarah Briggs 14.12.1762 in DENBY, Derbyshire he is described as a
Labouring Man.

They had the following Children, all Christened in DENBY, Derbyshire
26.5.1765  Eliza
12.2.1769 George
20.5.1771 James

On the 22nd April 1768 there is a burial of "A Son" of Samuel & Sarah Rowland, the information
you have states that Samuel the Father died at this date, as you will see Samuel was still producing
children in 1771.

As you only give a year for the birth of both Samuel and Sarah how do you know they
were born in Shottle, Derbyshire?  Have you not found a Christening for either of them.

The date you quote as "Birth" 17th April 1763, is actually a Patron Submitted Item and it
is for a Christening said to have been at Shottle.  Note there was no church at Shottle
at this date.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 August 11 04:28 BST (UK) »
[quote author=Dean1 link=topic=550570.msg4038485#msg4038485 date=1313855I  He died 21.6.1836 in Greasley, Nottinghamshire.   He married in 1787 to Amy Paxton Levers/Leviers b 20.3.1769 from Greasley (newhope), Nottinghamshire.
William's mother was Sarah Briggs b 1740 Shottle, Derbyshire who married 14.12.1762 to Samuel Rowland b 1742, Shottle, Derbyshire.   He died 22.4.1768 in DENBY, Derbyshire (I suspect that should read "Derby").

Daniel's father (no first name) was born in 1685 France.  Mother not named.
On the Rootsweb Huguenot list there is a few Rowlands spelt variously but one stands out - Michel Roland age 62 a Tailor (the Rowlands were all Tailors) and his wife Judith.   How can I go about proving this???

Sue - grateful for any help or suggestions

"Newhope" should be "Newthorpe"

and there is a Denby Derbyshire -not too far from Derby -so it is not wise to assume Denby should read Derby

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 August 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Suz and Spendlove,

Yes, I agree that there may well be some discrepancies and it is a submitted peice of information.

I hadn't realised Denby did exist - just goes to show you should always check BUT I did realise Newhope was Newthorpe eventually - when I couldn't find it in an atlas!

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Nina G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I cannot believe that you are enquiring about yours and my Ancestors in Duffield Derby's 1700's

I am in a direct line with Daniel Roland, born 1709 and William Roland that you have mentioned.

I was led to believe that Daniel's Father ? Roland ( born 1685/6 ) in France  left there during the Lace Slump in the 1600's.   He then came to Duffiled Derby's for the lace industry here.

I live in Nottingham about 23 miles from Duffield.

I have a lot of information on the family tree, is there anything I can help you with?

With kind regards,

Nina

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 12 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Every one is quoting the birth/christening of a Daniel Rowland in 1709  does anyone have the actual christening
or place of birth?

I ask because it would appear that this originates from a submitted tree.  It is important to understand that if
you were christened in Duffield, Derbyshire you were probably not born in Duffield the actual village.  The parish of
Duffield covers a huge area - but not DENBY.

I have a Daniel Rowland Christened March 1699 Duffield the son of Jacobi Rowland  with the following siblings all christened in Duffield:-
Elizabeth 18.8.1693
Josephus 4.5.1695
Maria   6.9.1697
Samuel 30.1.1701  son of Jacobi and Maria

Because of the last Christening and the fact that one of the children was named Maria for the present it has to be
assumed that Jacobi Rowland = Maria ?

The first marriage I can find of a Rowland in Duffield is George Rowland of Duffield Parish and Alice Adam of Shottle
in 1638.

Re my previous post about Samuel Rowland in DENBY, there is a burial of a Samuel Rowland 28.4.1819 Denby
aged 81 so born about 1738. 

Without a great deal of further research it is not safe to assume that this Samuel is the same christened in Duffield
22.1.1737 the son of Daniel.

Sorry to be a "Kill Joy" but family stories have to be proved, lived in this area all my life and it is the first time
I have seen a mention that there was a lace industry in Duffield - or have I misunderstood this statement.

I know it is difficult if you do not actually live in the area, but have you obtained any wills pre 1856 they will be
at Lichfield, Staffordshire.  If actually living in Shottle then there may be early records of rentals in the Devonshire records at Chatsworth, because they owned Shottle.  Must add this is very expensive £50 a day per person.
Later records are Enclosure Maps & Awards, and later still Tithe Schedules and maps.

Hope all of  this does not sound rude, but if you go on submitted trees you may go down the wrong line.

Spendlove

Offline Nina G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 12 23:06 GMT (UK) »
But I do live in the area!  :o The Cemetery at Greasley Derbyshire has many Roland, Leivers and Paxton Gravestones. About 8 miles from where I live.

No , I don't have the christening paperwork of Daniel Roland. I could go to the Nottingham Archives who hold Derbyshire.

Denby is a very small village where Denby Pottery is made to this day. Most of the records for the Derbyshire area are held at Matlock, Derbyshire.

Nottingham was  famous for it's lace industry for centuries. And famous for the Leivers Lace machines. These are exhibited in a museum at Wollaton Park Nottingham. I have spoken with an Historian who agrees the French emigrated to England seeking work during the lace slump, who knows !

If you send me your personal e-mail address I will send you the Roland Genealogy File, sent to me by one of the submitters on the IGI who is very well informed and in the same direct line.  Name Alan Vincent U.S.A , also a lady in Australia.

I have Samuel who married Sarah Briggs having died 8 years after their marriage, they produced one son William born 1763 - Shottle,  buried 21st June 1836 Greasley.Derbyshire

William married Amy Paxton Leivers 1787 Greasley Derby's they had 11 children  The 10th child - Abraham Rowland born 1805 ( Eastwood ) next village to Greasley is buried in the Greasley Cemetery 1875, I have seen the gravestone which is well preserved against the Church yard wall.

Newthorpe Common is about 2/3 miles before Eastwood.

I will send this link by page to Australia for further comments.

Nina

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 12 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nina,

I did say I did not want to be rude, all I am doing is stating that you should not accept these submitted trees,
you need to see the actual records for yourself.

But I do live in the area!  The Cemetery at Greasley Derbyshire has many Roland, Leivers and Paxton Gravestones. About 8 miles from where I live.
THEN YOU HAVE PROOF OF SOME ROLLAND/ROWLAND IN GREASLEY
No , I don't have the christening paperwork of Daniel Roland. I could go to the Nottingham Archives who hold Derbyshire.
THINK IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO CHECK WITH THE PARISH REGISTERS
 Denby is a very small village where Denby Pottery is made to this day. Most of the records for the Derbyshire area are held at Matlock, Derbyshire.
YES, THE REGISTERS ARE AT THE RO MATLOCK
Nottingham was  famous for it's lace industry for centuries. And famous for the Leivers Lace machines. These are exhibited in a museum at Wollaton Park Nottingham. I have spoken with an Historian who agrees the French emigrated to England seeking work during the lace slump, who knows !
YES NOTTINGHAM IS FAMOUS FOR ITS LACE INDUSTRY, BUT YOU SAID "HE CAME TO DUFFIELD, DERBY'S FOR THE LACE INDUSTRY HERE" - I DID SAY HAD I MISUNDERSTOOD YOUR STATEMENT RE DUFFIELD.
If you send me your personal e-mail address I will send you the Roland Genealogy File, sent to me by one of the submitters on the IGI who is very well informed and in the same direct line.  Name Alan Vincent U.S.A , also a lady in Australia.
MANY THANKS, I HAVE ACCESS TO THESE SUBMITTED TREES - WHICH COMES WITH THE WARNING FROM ANCESTRY THAT IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THOSE WHO USE THE TREE TO VERIFY ITS ACCURACY,
I have Samuel who married Sarah Briggs having died 8 years after their marriage, they produced one son William born 1763 - Shottle,  buried 21st June 1836 Greasley.Derbyshire
SAMUEL ROLLAND & SARAH HAD THE FOLLOWING ALL BPT AT DENBY:-

26.5.1765  Eliza
12.2.1769 George
20.5.1771 James
THE DEATH DATE QUOTED FOR SAMUEL IS 22.4.1768 BUT THE ACTUAL ENTRY STATES
"APR 22 1768   A SON OF SAMUEL & SARAH ROLAND - BURIED"
William married Amy Paxton Leivers 1787 Greasley Derby's they had 11 children  The 10th child - Abraham Rowland born 1805 ( Eastwood ) next village to Greasley is buried in the Greasley Cemetery 1875, I have seen the gravestone which is well preserved against the Church yard wall.
I DID NOT COMMENT ON THESE ENTRIES
I WOULD STILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SOURCE DOCUMENT STATES THAT SAMUEL ROWLAND WAS BPT., AT SHOTTLE
THERE WAS NO CHURCH AT SHOTTLE.

I do hope you understand, I do not wish to be rude about other peoples research, but I think if you look at the
actual registers quoted in these submitted trees you will discover that all the information is not accurate.
Regards
Spendlove

Offline Nina G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I admit my research is the I.G.I, but the same information given to me by another Roland in Devon, A. Vincent U.S.A and  Australia.  However,  the I.G.I are spot on with Abrahams birth/death and burial at Greasley.

I meant to say yesterday, Newthorpe and Eastwood is Nottinghamshire,  Greasley is just on the border with Derbyshire,  the cemetery situated on a hill overlooks Eastwood.

I have no evidence that Samuel was born at Shottle, another place, you blink, it's gone. But think I WILL go to the Nottingham Archives to see if I can find him.

My present day tree is in a definite line with William Roland born 1763 Shottle, Derby, his daughter  Sarah Roland, born 1789 Greasley, died 1863.

Sarah had a son Aaron 3/3/1813 ( Father unknown ) christened Aaron Roland,  she married a Samuel Straw who accepted Aaron.  He later became Aaron Straw.... in line with my gt Grandfather ( Straw )

I do have quite a few christening, births, deaths and marriage certificates on another side of the family.  But none on the above.

Should I be be looking for Samuel Roland born 30/1/1701 to Jacobi/Maria when I go to the Archives please ?

With regards,

Nina