Author Topic: Rowland/Roland - Huguenots in Duffield, Derbyshire  (Read 9593 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Roland - Huguenots in Duffield, Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 March 12 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nina,

The first thing you should do is go back through your OWN research, and follow your family backwards at
every stage you must take the information from original documents.

This is quite easy when the census is in operation, however it gets more difficult as you enter the 1700 when
in most cases you only have church registers to work with.  Look for wills, examine all the church registers
often there are marriage witnesses or comments made by the vicar which do not appear on the IGI.

You know that a William Rowland = Amey Levers  17.3.1787 Greasley, Notts.
Unless you have found William Rowland said to be born in Shottle in 1763 on the Census, or have looked at
the original marriage entry which contained the comment "of Shottle"  Then how do you know he was born
in Shottle?

William and Amey had 5 children bpt in Greasley, Notts one of whom was Sarah Rowland 12.4.1789.
There is a Birth of a Son Aaron 3.3.1813 Bpt 28.4.1813 Ilkeston, Derbyshire to A Sarah Rowland no Father.
However  the marriage, patron submitted on the IGI,  states that Samuel Shaw = Sarah Rowland
18.6.1813 Greasley,  if you look at the ACTUAL marriages at Greasley A Samuel Shaw = Hannah Rowland
on this date.

Have you ever found Aaron born 1813 on a Census with the Sarah & Samuel Shaw of Ilkeston Derbyshire, or do you
have other source documents to back up your statement..

As to Shottle, yes blink and you would miss the part of the village marked Shottle today.  However when people
state they were born Shottle they actually mean within the bounds of the ancient deer park.  This huge area of land
was sold by the Duchy of Lancaster to the Devonshires together with adjorning land named Postern Park.

My advise would be to follow your family starting with yourself, go backwards and get proof.

Spendlove 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline bjantal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 02:56 BST (UK) »
To all of those theories on William Rowland, I'd like to add one of my own:
A Samuel Rowland married Hannah Horsley 1 May 1759 at Arnold (close to Greasley, I believe),
their children all baptized at Arnold:
     Sarah      6 Apr 1760
     Samuel    21 Sep 1761   
     Hannah    10 Mar 1763
     William     23 Dec 1764   
     Thomas    27 Aug 1767 
     Mary        12 Apr 1772
I believe it is their sons showing up in the Greasely marriages:
     Samuel md Ann Sheldon 1790
     William md Amy Leivers 1787
     Thomas md Sarah Twells 1787
Both William and Thomas's marriage entries [don't have Samuel's entry] show that all parties are "of this parish"
This theory seems more likely than the lone William Rowland from Shottle in Greasely, though I can't prove it either. 

Brenda

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 June 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
That was a very interesting read - I am not convinced that my Rowland is part of the family you talk about but he may be of course.   He was a Tailor but so were many others and oddly, although there were many Rowlands in Stamford also and he definitely had some connection there, all his ?next of kin settled eventually in Nottinghamshire - shoe industry I suspect.
I may and it is not a definite, have found my James Rowland's birth in Edern, Merionethshire,Wales (he is supposed to be Welsh but not sure where that info came from).  The James I found was born to Ann and John Rowland.   It would appear that this James died and another child, male, was born and also named James - he, and his parents are next found in Stamford.   I am at the moment going through the original BMDs for Stamford but so far, other than finding a pauper child in Stamford - a James Rowland, I am no further on.   I did check the Derbyshire Rowlands and have a separate Tree I have put them on but I can't convince myself one way or the other that there is a connection with them.
I may be completely wrong here but I imagine those who were connected to the Hugenots would be RC - I know my chap was C of E.   He was also a bellringer of some note and I have tried tracing him through that with no result.  He was born in 1765ish (have found no birth record so far but have calculated from his age at death).   He died in Great Baddow, Essex.
I am checking Workhouse Records at the moment but nothing so far BUT - and I don't live all that far from Stamford where I have done some research in their library - so far I have not found a James Rowland - he did a lot of service with the Militia and my next move will be to try and get those records.   I did enquire about them BUT it was quoted as over £30 per hour to have a search done (they have loads of records) but I can visit, I am told, and do the search myself but it will still cost £30 per hour.................upwards and onwards, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 June 17 19:37 BST (UK) »

I meant to say yesterday, Newthorpe and Eastwood is Nottinghamshire,  Greasley is just on the border with Derbyshire,  the cemetery situated on a hill overlooks Eastwood.

With regards,

Nina

Just a little correction
Greasley is NOT "just on the border with Derbyshire"

Langley Mill is on the border -part in Derbyshire and part in Nottinghamshire (postal address Nottinghamshire)
Just up the hill from Langley Mill into Nottinghamshire is Eastwood
after Eastwood is Beauvale/Newthorpe then Moorgreen and then Greasley Church-which is just over 2 miles from Eastwood (and followed by Watnall)

Newthorpe Common is not in Newthorpe village (which is nearer to Beauvale) and is not 2/3 miles from Eastwood but just over 1 mile .

Greasley Church is not really on a hill but more on a mound at the bottom of the hill from Watnall and although Eastwood can be seen from there it doesn't really overlook Eastwood

Hope this helps  (my husband grew up in this part of Nottinghamshire and knows the area very well }

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk