Author Topic: Patrick RING  (Read 15691 times)

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Patrick RING
« on: Sunday 21 August 11 09:08 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on the above and his family.  He was born c1850-1857.  Marriage cert says he was 30, cns 1901 says he was 48, 1911 says he 58, at death in 1913 says he was born 1857 age 56 .  Its more likely to be early 1850's I think though.  He was born in Co Kilkenny, father Patrick a farmer.  He was a Policeman when he married and lived at Green St Dublin at that time but married in Julianstown, Meath, as thats where his wife was born and raised, she was aged 26 at marriage. 

they were in Dublin on the 1901 and 1911 no. 4 Sackville Gardens, and all their children born in Dublin City. First child born 1881.

Any info would be appreciated.  many thanks
Catherine

Related Thread : Green Street Dublin
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK RING
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 August 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
You would need to know which parish Patrick was born in to search for a baptism record. Do you have any clues as to which part of Co. Kilkenny he came from ?

It might be worth following up the handfull of Patrick Ring entries on Griffith's in Co. Kilkenny to see if you can link one of them through parish records as father of your Patrick.  See : Ring surname, Co. Kilkenny

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline agho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PATRICK RING
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 August 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
On a search of Kilkenny church records on www.rootsireland.ie 3 Patrick Rings whose father is also Patrick show up 1848 - 1858
1853  Danesfort RC,  mother's name Mary
1854  Danesfort RC, mother's name Bridget
1858  St Patrick's Kilkenny City, mother's name Mary - this one is unlikely as you say father was farmer.

Records cost €5 each to view.
I'm not sure how complete the Kilkenny records are so maybe use in conjunction with Griffiths as Shanew suggested
Burns Scotland/Australia/Cork
Fitzgerald East Cork
Lynch Glanmire/Glounthaune
Walsh Clare/Westmeath
Haskett
Murley Cork

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick RING
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 11 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane and Agho for your replies and research help.

Unfortunately I don't have any clue as to where in Co Kilkenny he was from.  There are no clues he left behind unfortunately, I will take a look at the link you posted and try to cross check with Griffiths.

Many thanks again
Catherine
Places:  Dublin, Stamullen, Julianstown, Meath, Shelvins in Monaghan, Donnybrook, Holywell Wales, Greenfield Wales, Baguilt Wales, Chester, Over in Cheshire, Tarporley in Cheshire, Bolton, Manchester UK, Clitheroe, Yorkshire West Riding, Bradford Yorks, Shipley Yorks

Surnames:  Griffith, Smy(i)th, McCormack, Stynes, McCabe, Howley, Raistrick, Laycock, Harding, Livesey, Unsworth, Hardin/en, Davies, Roberts, Johnson, Fielding

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
One other source that might be worth looking into is DMP records. If these are anything like the RIC record books, they might show a place of joining up and a sponsor. The sponsor was usually someone prominent in the local community. These can often be a clue to place of origin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 11 18:15 BST (UK) »
From Jim Herlihy's DMP book:
Ring, Patrick, DMP 7771, born 1853, Danesfort, Co. Kilkenny.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 11 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks to all of you for your help on this topic.

My distant relative has retrieved from her file a copy of the extract of the register of officers etc and it is the same one you refer to dublin1850, Post town is Cuffgrange and recommended by PP. P O'Brien.  I think the dates may be wrong on it as it says 'A' Div 20/2/1872, 'C' Div 14/3/1872, Date of joining, promotion etc 4th rate 9/8/1872 and resigned 12/8/1872.
Is there any way at all of finding out where this PP was based at that time as I take it this would have been his Patrick's home parish.
Thanks
Catherine

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 11 15:46 BST (UK) »
In 1877 there's a Patrick O'Brien listed as the parish priest in 'Deansfort', in the Diocese of Ossory, along with curates Martin Keoghan and Thomas Dooley. I presume that's an alternate spelling for Danesfort.

I'll check the 1872 listing for you this evening..

Unfortunately the notes on the NLI index for this parish (listed as Danesford & Cuffe's Grange) include the notation 'The pages are bound out of order and many are missing'. The NLI film reference is Pos. 5025

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline thistlebay

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane, well it still sounds very promising even if the records are missing as it was probably this priest who recommended Patrick.  Thats great if you could do that, I really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Catherine