Author Topic: Beaton family  (Read 47413 times)

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beaton family
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 May 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry Angus i missed a bit out
Donald's first wife was Mary MacDonald Nunton, Benbecula.
Donald's father Angus move to North Uist
Jo
Beaton Bethune Macleod Macmillian
Macsween Currie Macpherson Mackenzie Macintosh

Offline starrymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm interested to know if the Beaton families under discussion are related in any way to the Beatons, Howmore (ex North Uist) i.e. John Beaton b.Abt.1760 m. Marion Monk, son Kenneth b.1788 NU m. Mary Munro.   Children : Christina (1821), John (1821), Ann (1822), Marion (1826), Mary (1827), Donald ( 1831), Catherine (1834), Flora (1836).       Christina (1821) married James MacSween (b.1820 Dunvegan,Skye), their dau. Catherine m. John Cameron, & their dau. Catherine m. Donald MacFarlane. My 1st cousin Archie is married to their granddaughter Catriona.  Marion Beaton (b.1826) + Archibald MacLean had a dau. Catherine who married (1865 Howmore) my g.grandfather Donald MacLellan (b.1830 NU). I don't know why my g.grandfather was living in Howmore but they returned to North Uist by 1866 where their first child was born.  Marion Beaton married (1856 Drimore) Finlay MacLellan (ex North Uist)  --- Finlay's 2nd wife. Their dau. Catherine m. 1887 Alexander MacIntyre 'Straileaneach'.  Certainly confusing! Are these Beatons connected to the Beatons under discussion?     Thank you,  Sandy MacLellan

Hi there,
Have you managed to track down anything further about these N.Uist Beatons?  I am a descendant of Kenneth & Mary, via their daughter Mary.
I am guessing that Kenneth's family probably went from Skye to N.Uist at some point, but I'm not sure. (There were quite a few Kenneth Bethunes in Skye and not many Bethunes at all in N.Uist from what I can tell.)

Offline ammac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Starrymum,
No, I haven't progressed on this topic but mainly because I have not been doing much family research over the last year or so. I've recently resumed so no doubt will return to this subject later on. Rgds,

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 25 January 15 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Starrymum
I haven't got any further than Angus Bethune /Beaton at the moment

Offline starrymum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 26 January 15 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks...scutty, I'm not sure if we are from the same line, but ammac, looks like we might be! If you find anything further back, I'd love to compare notes. 

I am also interested in the other family of Beatons mentioned earlier (John the shepherd and his son Farquhar who went from Skye to Howmore, and who are mentioned in the Carmina Gadelica.)   Farquhar of the Skye Beatons (b.1830) and Mary of the N.Uist Beatons (b.1827) had a child together, who was my ancestor.   Confusing to say the least!

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 12:02 GMT (UK) »
My Angus moved from Skye to north uist I do have a tree on ancestry if you would like to have a look

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 09 July 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks...scutty, I'm not sure if we are from the same line, but ammac, looks like we might be! If you find anything further back, I'd love to compare notes. 

I am also interested in the other family of Beatons mentioned earlier (John the shepherd and his son Farquhar who went from Skye to Howmore, and who are mentioned in the Carmina Gadelica.)   Farquhar of the Skye Beatons (b.1830) and Mary of the N.Uist Beatons (b.1827) had a child together, who was my ancestor.   Confusing to say the least!
Hi Starrymum
I have found Angus Bethunes parents they were Catherine Macleod abt 1794 and John Bethune abt 1792 My 3x Great-grandfather Angus was born in the parish of Strath isle of Skye

Offline Uist1911

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Bethune\Beaton strath isle of Skye
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 August 17 20:19 BST (UK) »
My 4 great grandfather was John Bethune/Beaton a crafter from strath isle of Skye born about 1792 married a Catherine Macleod

There son Angus Beaton moved to North  uist he married a Mary Mackenzie

I can't find anything on John and Catherine.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Bethune\Beaton strath isle of Skye
« Reply #35 on: Friday 18 August 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
There son Angus Beaton moved to North  uist he married a Mary Mackenzie

When was Angus born and where

When did he marry?  If it was 1855 onwards are his parents shown as deceased?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)