Author Topic: Re: Trying to trace a hatter, early 1800s...  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Heather.Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace a hatter, early 1800s...
« on: Friday 26 February 10 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just discovered our connection to the LOCKETT family of Lambeth. Edward John LOCKETT & Emily GRANGER's son James married Elizabeth Margaret PETERS.

Have you had any success tracing Sarah Collins or the Locketts in Manchester?

Regards,
Heather

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline christine workman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace a Southwark hatter, early 1800s...
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 May 11 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I've just picked up this query as I am researching the hat trade in north west England (1700- 1900), with a focus on Lancaster and the Lune Valley, as a long term project.
A lot of the hatters moved around in search of work.  Many also went to London to get experience of the big hat shops that were located in southwark/Bermondsey and Christies were certainly one of the biggest if not the biggest employer at the time.  They would then go to any of the key hatting areas to set up their own workshops or work for a master hatter. Manchester was the major area outside London, but there was also a centre in the Bristol area and in most rural areas you would find a hattter as they needed very little to set up their trade.  I'm referring to the felt hat trade made from rabbits fur.  Luton hatters made straw hats.
 Christies records are held in Stockport Local Heritage Library.  They mainly refer to the Christies works in Manchester.  There is also the Stockport Museum of Hatting - well worth a visit if you are in the area. Christies set up a small hat shop in gloucestershire and also in Wray,  a small village ouside Lancaster but these closed in the 1820s as he consolidated his trade in Manchester and by 1850 most of the rural independent workshops were closing down or being run by ageing hatters.  I have names of the hatters in the North lancs area but not Manchester as yet.  no evidence of Locketts.  I have a William wood married ann Swainson in 1783

Offline Garnet1973

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to trace a Southwark hatter, early 1800s...
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Busylady

I've come across your message below when trying to research a hatter's in Lancaster. Would you be able to advise where is the best place to find any info about R Brash a hatter in Lancaster UK? We have the info from the inside of a top hat we found in our attic recently (!) and I'd love to find out a bit more about when and where it came from.
Thank you in anticipation of you findng a spare moment to pity a novice researcher!

Hi all,
I've just picked up this query as I am researching the hat trade in north west England (1700- 1900), with a focus on Lancaster and the Lune Valley, as a long term project.
A lot of the hatters moved around in search of work.  Many also went to London to get experience of the big hat shops that were located in southwark/Bermondsey and Christies were certainly one of the biggest if not the biggest employer at the time.  They would then go to any of the key hatting areas to set up their own workshops or work for a master hatter. Manchester was the major area outside London, but there was also a centre in the Bristol area and in most rural areas you would find a hattter as they needed very little to set up their trade.  I'm referring to the felt hat trade made from rabbits fur.  Luton hatters made straw hats.
 Christies records are held in Stockport Local Heritage Library.  They mainly refer to the Christies works in Manchester.  There is also the Stockport Museum of Hatting - well worth a visit if you are in the area. Christies set up a small hat shop in gloucestershire and also in Wray,  a small village ouside Lancaster but these closed in the 1820s as he consolidated his trade in Manchester and by 1850 most of the rural independent workshops were closing down or being run by ageing hatters.  I have names of the hatters in the North lancs area but not Manchester as yet.  no evidence of Locketts.  I have a William wood married ann Swainson in 1783

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 August 11 15:55 BST (UK) »
j & r brash hatters had a shop at 18 cheapside

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 August 11 15:18 BST (UK) »
police clothing contract for the bourgh police, contract for hats awarded to mr brash cheapside feb 1876

Offline christine workman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 February 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, no, not yet.  However, sites like Ancestry and Find My Past may now have the information on that I couldn't access back in 2011.
I'll keep a lookout for them,
All the best
Busylady