Author Topic: Sister Agnes  (Read 2641 times)

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sister Agnes
« on: Wednesday 24 August 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about Sister Agnes, who wrote The Story of Kendal and The Story of Skelsmergh?  There are, unfortunately, no footnotes in her book, and I'm wondering where she found her information--what sources she used, etc.   

Both books were published in The Westmorland Gazette--The Story of Kendal in 1947, and The Story of Skelsmergh in 1949.

I've just learned that Sister Agnes was the headmistress of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Modern in Kendal (now the Dean Gibson School).  I'm assuming she must have had notes, rough drafts, etc., and I wonder if it's possible she left her papers to a record office or a library.  (They are not at the Kendal Record Office.)

Thanks,
Bridget

Offline lennie13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Agnes and John
    • View Profile
Re: Sister Agnes
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry i cannot help with your query. But by strange coincidence i have just read a letter in this weeks Westmorland Gazette where the answer to a previous query was sourced out of Sister Agnes` book.
Rung my mum who went to Dean Gibson School when Sister Agnes taught there to ask about her........ her answer is unprintable,seemingly most of the children were petrified of her.!!!!!
Dennison. Kendal,Whitwell and Selside.
Stobbart. Kendal. Elterwater. Northumberland.
McDowell. Cockermouth.

Offline BridgetM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sister Agnes
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 October 11 00:54 BST (UK) »
I finally found some information about Sister Agnes, as well as a photo of her, and she did look very stern and forbidding!