Author Topic: Donald Taylor, Mary Jane Jarvis  (Read 10011 times)

Offline KWM87

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Taylor, Mary Jane Jarvis
« Reply #45 on: Friday 03 February 17 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's her... Ellen Louisa Williams was buried in Purewa Cemetery 30th Oct 1953, aged 85 years.  I guess she is in the family plot!?.... with her dad Donald.
Many many thanks.
Cheers
Kevin

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Taylor, Mary Jane Jarvis
« Reply #46 on: Friday 08 September 17 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your lengthy PM,I'm sorry but I can't help you any further and as I said to George the 2011 photos are long gone.
Looking at Google maps there are property numbers up to at least 46 Arthur Street.

Rather than send queries by PM it is better to post here where a lot of people may be able to help  ;D

Cheers Janette

Offline KWM87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Taylor, Mary Jane Jarvis, Dugald Taylor
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 September 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out how Donald Taylor, who died at 37 Arthur Street Freemans Bay, Auckland, at the age of 85 in 1917, and who is buried in Purewa, arrived in New Zealand.   

Apparently C.Little and Sons notes associated with his death record (now at the Auckland Public Library), say that he had been in NZ for 75 years, which would place him arriving NZ in 1842; I am chasing that record through the Auckland Public Library.  There is a Donald Taylor working / living in Field Lane (near widow Mary Taylor living in Chancery Street) in the 1845 Police Census. However, this conflicts with the arrival of a "D. Taylor" on the John Wesley in 1850.

His parents may be Dugald (a calico dyer) and Mary Taylor who were onboard the Duchess of Argyll in 1842 with four children: Thomas(10), James (5) and Dougald and Catherine, the latter two died during the voyage.  I can't find any record (in NZ or the Scotland 1841 Census) for Thomas Taylor born 1832.

Donald married Mary Jane Jarvis in 1859 in Otahuhu... I have the marriage doc.

None of the sources like passenger lists 1839 - 1841, Police Census 1845, cemetery records, papers past and present etc have the info... or at least I haven't found it.

Any advice / sourced info etc gratefully received

Kevin Morris 

Offline KWM87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Taylor, Mary Jane Jarvis - who were Mary Jane's parents?
« Reply #48 on: Friday 06 April 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
Just when you think you have the tree all sewn up....
Mary Jane Jarvis, the wife of Donald Taylor, I thought had travelled to NZ with her family Samuel and Mary Jarvis in 1852 on the Berwick Castle, and lived at Otahuhu - where she married Donald.

HOWEVER, it now transpires from the BC records that Samuel and Mary did not have a child named Mary Jane, and that although MJJ's marriage certificate says that she married in Otahuhu at the home of her widowed mother Mary, her Death Certificate says that her mother's name was Caroline. 

Her obituary says that she was born in Woolwich to an English Army Officer.  I found such a family living in Woolwich in 1841 (UK Census) - same name and occupation, but with no Mary Jane.  Birth and Baptism records show a family with the same parent names (Samuel and Mary Jarvis) had a daughter named Mary Jane in December 1841.  They didn't feature in subsequent Censuses. 

So my question is, does anyone have records that show Samuel and Mary (Caroline) Jarvis with a daughter Elizabeth b1837, Samuel b 1839, and Mary Jane b 1841, who was an army officer and who travelled from Woolwich to Auckland 1842 - 1859.

Here's hoping
Many thanks
Kevin