Author Topic: Neath and District First World War Memorial Volume -an appeal!‏  (Read 14614 times)

Offline Owainlawgoch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neath and District First World War Memorial Volume -an appeal!‏
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, I have a lot of family from the Neath area, but being Evans (typically), I've not really progressed further than census records at the moment.

I'm not asking (just) for myself, but would it be possible to pop a list of names you are interested in (possibly with addresses or next of kin) so people like me can look and see if anyone pops out - it may help people like me, and in turn we can pass on anything we may have (which granted is not actually a lot sorry  ;))

Hi there,

So sorry for the delay in replying.  I've been away but firmly back on the project now.  Could you let me know the names of your relatives and I'll see what I've come up with.  During the course of my research, I've unearthed some really interesting details, so there could well be something for you ...

Best regards

Jon

Offline lucasyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,

Full name: JohnTheobald Young
Born:1883 Shenton, Leicestershire
1902: Joined regular 2 Bn Royal Sussex - from 3rd Bn Reserve R /Sussex
1911 Census: Living at home Redhill, Surrey - 3rd Bn (Reserve) Royal Sussex
Died: 24 Sept 1918  / Battle at Gricourt (St Quentin) see below......

Cemetery: Roisel Communal Cemetery Extension
Area: Somme
Official Number: 21465
Unit: 2nd Bn. Royal Sussex Regiment.
Force: Army
Nationality: British
Details:
24th September 1918. Age 33. Husband of Florence Hilda Young of Inner Lodge The Gnoll Neath Glam. I. K. 5.

In the unlikely event that you do you have any further info at all, I would so appreciative....thanks!
Lucas

Offline lucasyoung

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 May 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, I forgot to add that from doing some online research, it appears that JT's wife's (Florence Hilda) maiden name was WEAVER.
Not sure if this is of any assistance???
kind regards
Lucas

Offline Jim Harle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 June 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon, how is the book going? It sounds really interesting.  I've been doing a little research as the kids are studying ww1 in school now.  We have no real roots in Neath (I'm only 2nd generation), so we looked at our street, and have so far learned that two young soldiers died in and near our street (Lewis road/Llewelyn st).  I started with the St. Thomas church online list of the war dead, then visited the WBC, and have found articles on the two men's deaths on 1914 Cymru...

Seeing the lists of the dead, with addresses, really brought it home and made it seem more real for some reason. Very simple, but powerful.

All the best, jim

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 August 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
i have just posted on Memoriam topic
John Cleary,Lance Corporal, no 9600 Royal Irish Regiment 2nd Btn,panel 33 Ypres ,Menin Gate.Memorial.
From 18/19 Elias St,Neath,S Wales

Edit just noticed made an error and posted by mistake on Armed Forces WW1.
Sorry.

Offline WilliamsM5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 01 November 15 02:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon,

I have been looking for my husband's Great Uncle Thomas James Burton. He was born in Skewen,Glamorgan,Wales in 1888. He died in the the Great War on 2 May 1918 Guisborough Camp York.I have been trying to find out where he was honoured. Is he on The Neath Memorial? He has a few Service#'s  3/26759,5427,217335 AL Corporal Royal Engineers. I was able to find his headstone with War Graves Commission. He is buried in Skewen St.John's Churchyard.I have downloaded copies of his military Medical History record,WW1 Service Record, UK Army Register of Soldiers Effects if you would like copies I can email you them. If you have any information or photographs it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Warmest Regards,
Michelle

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 November 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle,

Are you local? If not, I have a photo of his grave in St John's I can send you. PM me with your e-mail address if you want it.

He doesn't appear to be on the War Memorial;

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=neath-war-memorial-a-g

B.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline WilliamsM5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 November 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Bev,

I am disappointed to hear he does not appear on the memorial. I would think he would be honoured somewhere. Does anyone know if possibly Skewen itself has a memorial for the Fallen? Unfortunately I am not local I live in Canada with my husband. I wish I lived over there it might make it easier to research and find Thomas James Burton.
Thank you so much Bev for your offer but I already have a photo of his headstone. I ordered it from The War Graves Photographic project they are a fantastic group of Volunteers. I have ordered a couple photos now of my relatives headstones from them. Thank you again for the offer. If anyone has any other information on Thomas Burton it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to find a photo of him.

Warmest Regards,
Michelle

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 November 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michelle, I'm the volunteer who took the photos for that area for the War Grave Photographic Project.  ;D  I sent them one of the whole gravestone and another of the relevant part regarding Thomas James Burton.

He doesn't appear to be on the Skewen Memorial either.
http://ogre-blog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/skewen-war-memorial.html

Oops just realised that's for WW2 - see this link;
http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/village-World-War-memorial/story-22875062-detail/story.html

PM me if I can be of any help with newspaper look-ups etc.

B.
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.