Author Topic: Ryton Parish registers  (Read 12469 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ryton Parish registers
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 15 August 15 22:30 BST (UK) »
(I wanted to insert a hyperlink but failed, I cannot find the box where I could insert the very long link  )

Its at the bottom of the page in the brown section. It is the last link in the second column "your tools"
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 August 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much! I am not yet familiar with this new forum interface.

My next question is off topic, sorry - but while I am at it  ;)

Is the button "Insert hyperlink" at the top of my reply window obsolete now?
Or can I still type a word and hyperlink that word so that the word itself becomes a link?

Cheers
Renate (not very computer savvy)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 August 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Renate

If its a very long link, copy and paste it into http://www.rootschat.com/links/index.php

That will give you a 'shrink link' which you can then copy and just paste it into your post.

(it will look like the link I posted the other night to give you the baptism record)

Boo

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 August 15 00:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Boo

Yes, I mastered that part and will use it in future. It is still better than those ugly long links that can easily break....
When I clicked on your link I expected to be brought to another topic and was amazed that the familysearch records opened - it's magic  ;D

Cheers
Renate

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 August 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has a baptism of a Michael Young, born 9 November 1808, baptized 4 December, 1808, Kingston upon Thames. Parents William and Elizabeth. Kingston upon Thames is about 30 miles from Wokingham.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 August 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
he he, I'd seen that one and am waiting till Renate gets the marriage cert to see if its a match for the father's name.

I like that bit where, whilst waiting for a corroborating record, you are hopeful that the 'possible' may move into the 'quite likely' category.
Hope springs eternal :-)

Boo

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 August 15 01:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan,

Thank you for this very promising find! I must have missed that completely  :-[
I can't wait to get the record but will have to be patient - it takes usually more than two weeks for GRO mail to get across the Irish Sea :-(

Yes, Boo, hope springs eternal - and is the last to die :-)

Cheers
Renate

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 31 August 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

As predicted, GRO post took ten (!!) days to cross the Irish Sea and today it landed in my mailbox.

Good news and bad news.
The marriage took place in the parish church in Wokingham on 9th Oct 1838, counties Berks Wilts
Michael Young was a horse trainer, living in Wokingham
The father's name is indeed William Young, he is a labourer.
The bride, Elizabeth Pasmore, lived in Newmarket, Cambs, her father was Peter Pasmore, a farmer.

The bad news is that I still don't have his mother's name (but will search for it) and Michael Young's age is only given as "adult"  ::)

With this new information my excursion to the Ryton Parish Registers was a detour, but with your help I was put on the right track. Thank you all!

My last question, which is again OT: can I add the scan of a GRO certificate copy to the (private) family tree on Ancestry or are there copyright issues I have to keep in mind?

Cheers
Renate

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 31 August 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting us know about the cert ( I always wonder if people don't come back)

I have seen a lot of certs in ancestry trees, so though I am not sure about the copyright implications it would appear that no one has yet been arrested and ancestry don't seem to mind.

The baptism that WolfieSmith mentioned is on ancestry, within the London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1538-1812 database (which has register images). It was at All Saints, Middlesex, which came within Kingston Upon Thames Borough. I think that the boundaries for Middlesex/Surrey changed over the years, but I am not too familiar with that area.

I can't see any other baptisms in the same church for possible siblings and there is no mention of the mother, Elizabeth,'s maiden name.

Boo