Author Topic: Ryton Parish registers  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Ryton Parish registers
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 September 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Apologies to Tickettyboo for repeating her suggestion to download the marriages of Ryton from www.archive.org.

My previous email escaped before I had finished it, checked it and signed it!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ryton Parish registers - Michael Young * 1799
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 15 23:45 BST (UK) »
I have baptisms starting at 1748-1812

Janis

Hello Janis,

I know this topic is already four years old, but I think you might be the person who may be able to help me in my search for a birth / baptism record.

I am looking for a record for Michael Young.
According to familysearch he was born 30.  November 1799 and baptized 7. September 1800
His parents are listed as Michael Young and Isabella Potts

The link to the record is here > https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5ZQ-QRM

Here a bit more information about him;

Michael Young married Elizabeth Pasmore 1838 in Wokingham, Berks.

The couple then moved to Berlin where he died 9. June 1876. His occupation was racehorse trainer.
In his death record his place of birth is given by the informant, his daughter, as "Kingston, England"
Elisabeth Young, nee Pasmore, died 10. February 1901, also in Berlin.

Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,
RenateLuise

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 August 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat :-)

Family Search also have the Bishops Transcript records for Ryton. Not the original register but a copy made at the time to send to the Bishop.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01fws/

That link should take you to the page that has the record you are looking for.

If Janis sees this I am sure she'll check the original for you, but this will give you some info while you wait.

That is the record you asked for, but if his place of birth was given as Kingston, and he married in Wokingham then I think its more likely that he would have been born in Kingston in Surrey? Though people 'did' move around a lot, its not usual for a husbandman (which is the father's occupation on that baptism) to travel quite so far, not usual but it could be possible - everything is possible!

Do you have his marriage certificate? What are you basing the Ryton record on to make it likely to be him?

Boo

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hello RenateLuise and I want to wish you a warm welcome to Rootschat, also!   ;D  I happen to have the Ryton fiche that covers your request.  As you have indicated, the record shows that Michael Young was born 30 Nov 1799 and chr. 7 Sept 1800.  The record indicates that Michael Young was the third son of Michael Young of Low Coalburns, husbandman, native of the parish of Ovingham and by his wife, Isabella Potts native of the parish of Hartburn.  I hope this helps! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline RenateLuise

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Boo and patrexjax

Thank you both for the welcome :-)
and a Big Thank You for the link and transcript to boot!

I had tried to find my way around in the familysearch catalogue but got hopelessly lost  :(

But now I am confused, because from this list it seems that "Michael Young" is the 3rd daughter???
Is there perhaps a faint 'e' at the end of 'Michael' and should it read 'Michaele'?
If this is really the record for a girl, it cannot be my Michael Young.

Thank you both so very much for your help.

Cheers
Renate

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 August 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
That happens in a transcription and even in originals :-) I have seen obvious girl's names with 'son of' and vice versa. Its more common in a transcript though, imagine the poor man who had to write it all out again for the Bishop, must have been a big job and errors would have crept in.

Looking at what patrexjax posted the original says son.

To find the Durham Bishops Transcripts, start at https://familysearch.org, click on Search then choose Records.

On the right, under the map, click the link to Browse all Published Collections

Then on the left hand side of the page you can filter - Choose United Kingdom, then England.

Now you can scroll down the links on the left side of the page and see what is available for England. The image I gave you came from "England, Durham Diocese Bishop's Transcripts"
Once you click on that, just follow through till you get to the County and parish you want.
Coverage is patchy, and you have to browse through the images, but as you'd already found the date he was baptised that wasn't so hard -  I have had a LOT of practice:-)

Boo

Offline patrexjax

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 August 15 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hello RenateLuise  and Boo,  My fiche has used the standard abbreviation for the persons who made this transcription and I have triple checked it and it clearly uses, "S" for son.  I hope this helps! patrexjax
ARCHIBALD/ARCHBALD: Tweedmouth, NBL; CHARLTON: Ponteland, NBL;
ERRINGTON: West Denton, NBL; 
FAIRLESS: Longbenton, NBL;
HARDING: Hollinside, Co. Durham;
KING: Newcastle-on-Tyne & Berwickshire;
LOCKEY: Ryton, Whickham, Co. Durham & YKS; NICHOLSON: Ponteland, Newburn, NBL; PAXTON: Norham, NBL;
PAULIN: Berwickshire; REAY, Ponteland, NBL;
SCOTT: Norham, NBL; SELBY: Tweedmouth, NBL;
SLIGH: Berwickshire; SPOOR: Whickham & Ryton;
WIDDRINGTON: NBL

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 15 August 15 02:18 BST (UK) »
Ryton bapt:

Edited

Mary Young born 17 Jul 1797, baptised 18 Feb 1798 3rd daur of Michael Young, of Low Coalburns, yeoman, native of the parish of Ovingham Northumberland by his wife Isabella Potts native of the parish of Whalton, Northumberland

I couldn't find a candidate fo Isabella in Hartburn.  I will take a look in Whalton.  I have a candidate for Michael-possibility of 2 in Ovingham but will have to take a look.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 15 August 15 02:26 BST (UK) »
after Janis' post I have just checked the film number from the Family Search entry that RenateLuise first posted.
I had assumed the transcription was from the original register, but I was wrong. Its been transcribed from the BT's - which is why it says Michael.

patrexjax, your fiche doesn't seem to agree with the one Janis has?

My brain hurts now!

Boo