Author Topic: Patrick KIERNAN, Bridget FLOOD, PLUNKETT: Maughera, Finea or Carrick (Cavan)  (Read 12358 times)

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I am looking for my grandmother Bridget Mary KIERNAN, her parents and siblings in County Cavan (details below).
Found siblings' birth records on FamilySearch.  And lots of post-emigration info from
Ellis Island and US census 1910, 1920, 1930. 
But I cannot find Bridget, her parents or siblings on Ireland 1901 census.
By 1911, I suppose only her mother Bridget FLOOD KIERNAN and brother John KIERNAN were still in Ireland, but I can’t find them on 1911 census. 
Bridget still had family back in Ireland, because ~1933, brother Henry’s son ~5 yrs old, was sent to live with relatives in Ireland.

Bridget was born in Carrick, Cavan or Maughera, Finea, Cavan.  About 13 miles apart per Google Maps.  But I cannot figure out the corresponding townland, RC parish or civil parish for either of these 2 locations.

Also my father said we were related to the PLUNKETT's, but I haven't found anything yet.

Any tips or advice would be most appreciated.  Thank you !

Patrick Kiernan (ggf):  deceased at time daughter Bridget’s 1908 emigration ?
Bridget Flood Kiernan (ggm): daughter Bridget’s contact at 1908 emigration
CHILDREN :
John Kiernan :  born 09 Jun 1873
Henry Kiernan :  born Cavan 17 Oct 1877 or 19 Oct 1874, emigrated to New York before 1926
Mary Kiernan : born 16 May 1878, emigrated to New York before 1904
Julia Kiernan :  born ?, emigrated to New York before 1908
Bridget Mary Kiernan (gm) :  born 4 Apr 1880 or 1888 or 1890 or 1894
    Place of  Birth:  Carrick, Cavan (her marriage cert); or Maughera, Finea, Cavan
      (Ellis Island 1908 ship manifest, emigrated to New York/New Jersey)

Offline flowersfrom cavan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick KIERNAN, Bridget FLOOD, PLUNKETT: Maughera, Finea or Carrick (Cavan)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 February 12 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I may not answer your question but merely make a connection.
Carrick is in the parish of Ballymachugh. The Catholic Church parish records for 1837 -1935 are on microfilm- no 1279229, available probably at the national library in Ireland or Archives. When searching, you need to use `Granard` which was the registration district for that part of Co.Cavan, although it is actually in Co.Longford.
My great -grandmother was Ellen Flood from Carrick who married in 1873 and was born about 1840 as she was 60 in the 1901 census. She married the local schoolteacher - a James Sheridan

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick KIERNAN, Bridget FLOOD, PLUNKETT: Maughera, Finea or Carrick (Cavan)
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 February 12 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Just when I thought there wasn’t going to be any reply to my post...

Thank you for the info about Ballymachugh parish records.  I just ordered the microfilm. 

Since my post last August, I have located my gm’s 1880 birth record.
So as I understand it now… my gm Bridget Kiernan was born in Maghera in Co. Cavan.  The closest village is Finea which lies on the border of Cavan and Westmeath.  Maghera and Finea are in Finea District which covers parts of Cavan and Westmeath.  Finea District is in Granard Union and Granard town is in Co. Longford (just as you mentioned).
And I found gm’s Baptismal Certificate from St. Mary’s Carrick, Finea, in parish of Drumlumman South/Ballymachugh (again as you mentioned).

But I still cannot find my Kiernan’s on the census.  So I'm looking forward to that parish microfilm.  Perhaps I'll find a connection between our ggm’s, your Ellen Flood and my Bridget Flood.  Will let you know if I find anything.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, we can. Anyone with Flood blood would never give up !

I have found some apparently contradictory info.

Firstly, there is a Bridget Kiernan recorded as born in Carrick, but baptised/christened in 1890 - 03 June. Same address for marriage to FD Hogan from Tipperary in 1913. Would she have been taken by a relative as a baby without her parents? Parents listed as Bridget Fllod and Patrick Kiernan
The other date of birth in 1880 would make her 33 at marriage -somewhat old in those days.

The other info I found was in the 1901 and 1911 censuses for Ireland. In Magheraboy Upper Kilgolagh which is near Finea. Is Maghera just a shortened version? In 1901, there is a widow aged 47 who had 12 children of whom 9 survived. The children living with her are James 18, Bridget 14, Annie 12, Patrick 10. The other ones could have left home for work/emigration.

By 1911, James , Annie, and Patrick were still at home with the two males working as labourers.

Bridget had been married for 36 year by then, so about 1874.

I also found Floods in Cortrasna in Griffiths Valuation of 1859. This is the townload where my greeat grandmother lived after marraige so maybe before marraige too.

Offline stellamaire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 12 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you flowersfrom cavan.  Your tips are very helpful and have motivated me to continue searching this branch of my family tree.
Yes, there's a lot of contradictory info about gm’s birthdate.  My cousin says Nana wasn’t quite sure when she was born.  I have found references to 6(!) different years from 1880–1894.   And I see there were quite a few Bridget Kiernans registered in Granard in those years.
I was thinking 1880 was correct since that civil reg has parents Patrick & Bridget and POB Maghera (same place as her Ellis Island arrival).
But now I am thinking 1886 per her baptism cert is correct.  This birth cert was issued in 1950...probably proof of age required for Social Security pension.  If so, then the Bridget age 14 that you found in 1901 Magheraboy should be my gm, and her mum Bridget age 47 (b. 1854) should be my ggm Bridget Flood.

As for 12 children…I have found references for 5 mentioned in original post + brothers Edward & Patrick according to notes from my late father (also named Edward) + James & Annie that you found in 1901/1911.  Now I’m wondering if there were 2 Bridget’s... that my gm born 1886 was named after her deceased sister born 1880 (fairly common practice back then according to other Rootschat threads).

I see Cortrasna, Magheraboy, Carrick and Finea are all close by on Googlemaps.  So I suppose Maghera is a short name for Magheraboy.

Now I am eagerly awaiting the parish records microfilm, and all the details I hope it will reveal.  Will update.

Offline franktm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have worked on family history and then got away from it. I am beginning again. My father, Frank Joseph Maier (b. January 10, 1920)grew up in the Bronx. His father was Joseph Maier (b. August 13, 1896) and his mom, Mary Kiernan (b. June 21, 1897) . Her father was Patrick Kiernan (b. about 1864 and married June 21, 1894) who immigrated from Ireland. Her mother was Ellen Grimes (b. about 1894) also from Ireland.  I have Bridgett Kiernan as Patrick's mother, but I am not sure. Any help?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I have found a `birth and christening announcement/record` for your greatgrandparents. Francis Henry Kiernan was born on 26 Oct 1895 in Manhattan with father`s name Patrick Kiernan and mother as Ellen Catharine Grimes. Not sure if that`s any help.

Offline franktm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 03:57 GMT (UK) »
That is good information. Is the record available online? Frank Kiernan was my grandmother's brother.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 December 12 07:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found the record by looking up Family Search.org, the one I use for all my searches. Source film no. 1322324. With precise birth details, you could possibly get
church records as well. Then, I suggest you search immigration records. I could not find marriage records. Did they marry in Ireland or in the US?  On a more pessimistic note,  Kiernan is quite a common name for this part of Ireland, and with forenames like Mary and Patrick searching will not be easy. It was the Grimes, much more unusual, that helped locate the record.