Author Topic: Abraham Bean, Yorkshire -> New York?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline billnkempsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abraham Bean, Yorkshire -> New York?
« on: Saturday 27 August 11 08:32 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandparents Richard Bean and Elizabeth (Dawes) had several children but apparently both died in 1831, leaving a relatively young family. (Not known if died together or separately.) One of their sons, George (my gg grandfather) spent some time running a flour mill in Canada before buying some land near New York City. He later gave up the land to his brother, Abraham, and moved to Australia where he was later joined by two other brothers, Charles and Josiah. The Bean children were reputedly born in Tadcaster, Yorkshire.

Sadly, the brothers seem to have lost contact and we know nothing about Abraham's later life. I'm hoping that some descendent of Abraham has some information about Richard and Elizabeth, or even just what happened to them. In any case it would be fabulous to rejoin the two halves of the family.

A cousin recently noticed an Abraham Bean, born 1820 in England, in the 1880 census, living in Allen Allegany New York. There are also some possible hits in 1900 and 1860. Is anyone out there connected to that Abraham Bean? Is he ours?

More practically, is there any info on the census return that suggest this Abraham Bean was born in Yorkshire. The birthdate is right...

Many thanks for reading this far!
Odendal
Hillebrand
Broom/Broome
Harding
McLusky/McCluskey/McCloskey
Morrison
Howells
Jenkins
David

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Abraham Bean, Yorkshire -> New York?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 11 11:54 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org has a Abraham Bean baptised in Tadcaster, Yorkshire 8th Sept 1814. Father shown as Richard Bean and Mother as Elizabeth Bean. This ties in with your ggg grandparents.

There is also an ancestral pedigree file on familysearch which shows that Elizabeth was born in 1792 and Richard in 1788.

Familysearch.org on the 1860 US census has an Abraham Bean, residence Allegany, New York, ward: The Town Of Allen. He is aged 45 and estimated birth year 1815.

There is also another Abraham Bean, residence: Allen, Allegany, New York. Aged 60, he was born in 1820 England. Married to Mary. He was a farmer. This looks like the one your cousin spotted.

There are also a few Abraham Beans on Familysearch.org from the Selby and Snaith areas of Yorkshire. Both these places are within 15 miles of Tadcaster. Possible relations?

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 11 12:07 BST (UK) »
The only other Abraham Bean I can find in Yorksire around that time on Familysearch.org is the one baptised Abraham Richard Bean 23 Jun 1822 at Fenton, Yorkshire. (There is a Church Fenton not far from Tadcaster). father William bean, mother Martha.

Offline billnkempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. You're right, the 8th Sept 1814 is likely to be our Abraham. Now, if we could just follow him closely in New York... I wonder how many Abraham Beans there were in Allegany in the 1800s? Certainly looks like two, at least.
Odendal
Hillebrand
Broom/Broome
Harding
McLusky/McCluskey/McCloskey
Morrison
Howells
Jenkins
David