Author Topic: Chalk Farm, Benhall  (Read 1532 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Chalk Farm, Benhall
« on: Sunday 28 August 11 11:14 BST (UK) »
When Edward John Newby enlisted into the Royal Army Medical Corps on 8th July 1901 he gave as his next of kin his father James Newby and stated that his address was Chalk Farm, Benhall.  Does anyone know where this is or was, please?

Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline MOLLYLOCKHART

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chalk Farm, Benhall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

Came across this posting from 2011 - did you find the answer to your question?  I live at Chalk House in Benhall, Suffolk in East Anglia in the UK which I assume is the Chalk Farm you refer to.  The field behind our house is called Newby's field. Would be interested to know about the people who lived here. Geraldine

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 16 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Geraldine,

Welcome to Rootschat.

At the time of posting the query I was researching my late wife's family history. With her death I sort of got knocked off my stride but have recently gone back to the research.

Shortly after my post I came across a sales advertisement for Chalk House and contacted the estate agents. They sent me a couple of photographs of the house and suggested that I write to an elderly gentleman who had been born in Benhall Place. His daughter replied and said that he remembered that the 10 acre field behind Chalk House had always been known as Newby's field.

With regard to the house, her grandfather had bought it from the Benhall Lodge Estate. It was known then as Silverdene. Eventually after several other owners it was renamed in the 1960's back to Chalk House. The field got its name from a pit from which was extracted chalk.

I then went to the Suffolk Record Office and looked at the Tithe Apportionment records for 1845. Listed in those is Landowner John Moseley Esq., Occupier Thomas Newby and the plan references 205 house and garden, 206 orchard and 207 oziers, a total of 2 acres, 2 roods and 28 perches.

Next door, in plot no. 208 lived James Newby jnr, Thomas' son, occupying 2 roods and 13 perches of cottage and pasture. This cottage is shown as being on the corner of Benhall Street and Silverlace Green.

I think you might find it interesting to visit the SRO and have a look at the documents and maps yourself. However, I may be going back there some time in the future and if I can help I will.

Kind regards, Jack

BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline MOLLYLOCKHART

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 16 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jack

Thank you for your reply. I am sorry to hear the sad news about your wife.

The information is really interesting and it will prompt us to go to the SRO.  If you are ever in the area and would like to visit the house where your wife's ancestors lived you would be very welcome. The house has changed a lot over the years especially when it was enlarged by the previous owner in 2002.  I moved here in 2011 with my husband Donald and my mother who was then 92. She sadly died less than a year later.

Best wishes.

Geraldine

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 16 13:10 BST (UK) »
Benhall has a diligent Local History Recorder who may have information, Geraldine you may already know how to contact Katie?

SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline MOLLYLOCKHART

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 September 16 16:42 BST (UK) »
Yes we know Katie and went with her on a history walk around the area a week ago - many thanks. Geraldine