Author Topic: Jean Boyd Prestonpans  (Read 6602 times)

Offline myrtlebank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jean Boyd Prestonpans
« on: Monday 29 August 11 00:16 BST (UK) »
Information needed Jean/Jane Boyd, marriage around 1745, (Samuel Falconbridge).  Prestonpans. Father may have been Alexander Boyd.

It's believed "Jane" and Samuel (chemist) went to Bridgenorth Shropshire. Samuel died in 1794 in Bristol.

Children William b 1755 Prestonpans. Samuel, married 1786 Edinburgh (to Mary Brown). George b Dowles Shropshire 1771.

Any information on Boyd family in Prestonpans gratefully received.

Valerie

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Boyd Prestonpans
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Valerie

A long shot......I have Burd ancestors in Prestonpans at that time, featuring names William, George and Alexander.  Name later became Bird.....perhaps became Boyd in England?

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline myrtlebank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 August 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hibee. It is rather a long shot, though I am prepared for anything these days. Jean actually became Jane in England (I have found this to be the case in a number of families).

There is some confusion about the marriage date, 1723 or 1745, and the name, John Falconbridge is listed on the IGI but I am assured that this is a mistake and should be Samuel Falconbridge (which fits my theory).

I think I have an Alexander Boyd married to a Susannah but cannot connect Jean/Jane.  Susannah fits as Samuel refers to his mother in law as Susannah in his will. No mention of wife so apparently she was dead.  Son George is mentioned and a Samuel married Mary Smith in 1786 in Edinburgh, presumably a son,  = if this is the right family).

Not sure where to go next.  I have not come across Berd, or Bird to date.

Cheers, Valerie

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie,

Found son William's birth and baptism on FreeReg, but cannot find OPR of parents marriage.

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Baptisms&RecordID=7626592

County - East Lothian
Place - Prestonpans
Church - Prestonpans Parish Church
RegisterNumber -
DateOfBirth - 10 Mar 1755
BaptismDate - 21 Mar 1755
Forename - William
Sex - M
FatherForename - Samuel
MotherForename - Jean
FatherSurname - FALCONBRIDGE
MotherSurname - BOYD
Abode -
FatherOccupation -
Notes - Witnesses William Graham & John Whitehead
FileNumber - 19831

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Janet McKellar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Valerie

Trying very hard to contact you about the Boyd-Falconbridge family from Prestonpans to (South) West England. I believe that our families may be connected through the BOYDs.  When Samuel Falconbridge and Jean/Jane/Jessie/Janet Boyd migrated from Prestonpans to the Shropshire/Worcestershire/Bristol area, I don't think they went alone.  I'd been trying to find out how my 5th great grandmother Isabella Boyd fell out of the sky in the Bewdley area of Worcestershire.  Still no birth or baptism record for Jean BOYD, but I think my Isabella BOYD 1740 and George BOYD 1747 were likely her brother and sister, all born of parents Alexander BOYD & Susanna PATULLO (Pittilloch etc).  I think when Samuel & Jean relocated to ENgland, that George and Isabella went along too, both marrying and settling in the Bewdley/Dowles area.

I'll wait to hear from you before continuing.
Also sent a message on Ancestry.
My name is Katie de Haan.
Janet McKellar is merely one of my Scots personae.

Katie

Offline myrtlebank

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 October 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Katie

Have sent a message on the other website...in case you don't get it please contact me

(*)

would love to hear from you and discuss the Boyds.  yes I believe there is a connection and can fill you in on the Falconbridge side of things. (left more notes on the other site but will fill you in further if I hear back from you. Have only just found your messages, so sorry.

Hope to hear from you'
kind regards

Valerie NSW Australia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.