Author Topic: Anderson family + Harwarden 1860s  (Read 3993 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson family + Harwarden 1860s
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 14:08 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any ideas about a family of Andersons who, as a James Henry Anderson was born there circa 1867, must have lived there at least for a short while? They later moved to Bury, and away from that area, but that's quoted as where he was born, on later censuses. I'd really welcome any further information concerning parents, siblings, history or really anything before he arrived in the Bury area, and would welcome guidance/help from the kind people on this forum..
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson family + Harwarden 1860s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hello ThrelfallYorky,

There is a James H Anderson on the 1901 census, he is married to Winifred, showing place of birth as Flint. Is this your James?

I note that there is a birth registration for James Henry Anderson in the June quarter 1867 in Gt Boughton.

In order to assist us to find the information you are seeking, could you let us have more details? Names of parents and the address shown on the birth certificate might help. The father's occupation might yield some clues as well.

Jo.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 10:56 BST (UK) »
Hello, I just happened to see this quite quickly after you had posted. Thank you for your interest. The little information I have seems to be more or less what you have from the 1901 census.James Henry Anderson was born in or near Harwarden, apparently, and I would imagine his family were concerned with mining, as Harwarden has mining geology, and JH was working in 1901 as a "coal hewer". His parents may have been James Anderson and Maria Johnson. I've assumed that they were married at the time of his birth, but I've really found nothing further yet. I'd hoped to find siblings and / or parents, because that always makes it easier to pinpoint the individual, especially with common surnames. Sadly there are no family people we can ask.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 September 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello ThrelfallYorky,

The 1901 census shows James H Anderson as born Flint, Wales. I cannot find anything that shows his place of birth as Hawarden. Where did you obtain this from?

The place the birth was registered, Gt Boughton, does indicate that he was born closer to Chester than Flint. A birth in Flint would have been registered in Holywell.

There were coal mines round the Flint area as well.

I note that James married Winifred Patten in Leigh Registration District in the September quarter 1889.

There is no trace of the Anderson family in Wales on the 1871 census.

The best way to make some progress with this would be to get the birth certificate for James Henry Anderson.

Jo.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 September 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 census James Henry's birthplace is given as Harwarden, so that's why i was hoping to find family evidence there. Yes, that is the right marriage, to Winifred Paton (sic) but I'd been hoping to find James Henry as a younger person in 1891, 1881 or 1871, to get some idea of the family, but I've not yet been able to find him - yet. I'm sure the birth certificate will help me, - in due time!! Just getting impatient to follow the trail, I suppose. Thanks for your efforts, I'm grateful for the interest.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 11 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

My suspicion is that a different place of birth is given in earlier census returns. I wondered about an entry on the 1871 for James Henry Anderson at RG10/3985 Fo 32 Page 15.

His age is shown as 2 but he is a boarder with John and Eliza Cammins.

Jo.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that; I'd no idea. I'll have to try and get hold of that next, too. Thanks.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 11 15:52 BST (UK) »
Update for the kind posters who have been so helpful: It's been put that his birth may have been on a boat/ship called "Harwarden" - but as this would mean that his mother was Cornelia rather than Mary / Maria, I'm not very confident about following this.
Not got the birth certificate yet to prove / refute this, so enthusiasm rapidly ebbing. Ah well.
Every line seems to be dragging to a halt, caught on snags. Is this what is meant by a brick wall? Do they ever fall down? Any idea where I can hire a genealogical sledge-hammer?

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 December 12 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Update again:
 I'd forgotten to mention that shortly after previous post I'd confirmed his birth details as given in later censuses as correct, when the certificate arrived: James Henry Anderson was indeed, according to his birth certificate born in Hawarden - there's no more detailed address given - on 23rd March 1867. His parents were indeed James Anderson, and Mary Anderson, formerly Johnston, and his father's occupation was given as "fireman down coal pit".
Despite this, I have not been able to find any trace of the family together, and think this must be the end of this line of research.

I assume they broke up, or James the father died, as he was in a dangerous occupation, and mother re-married, re-surnaming her son, and he only resumed his original name in adulthood, accounting for his invisibility in the intervening years.

Thanks for the help given, I've given up on this line now ... at least until I come upon some magic clue by chance! Thank you all. I appreciate the help, time and effort.