Author Topic: The Doole's of Derry  (Read 11703 times)

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Doole's of Derry
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm searching for my elusive Doole ancestors from Co. Derry/Londonderry, specifically those from around the Maghera/Magherafelt/Desertmartin/Curran areas.    My net is wide as is my hope, but my expectations are low!    
I believe they may have all been Presbyterians and my only creditable links are by way of
(i) an 1852 marriage record between my widowed 3/GGM Mary Doole (m/s Davidson) to a Samuel Porter in the Curran Pres' Church (this is later corroborated by a Scottish death reg'n for her son William, my 2/GGF);
(ii) the Griffith valuation of tenements for Ballynahone in the parish of Termoneeny where Mary's first husband and my 3/GGF James Doole is recorded, as is Samuel Porter.   Also included are other family names that may be linked to my ancestry such as Davidsons/Rodgers/Mackeral.   
My family tree is;
James Doole (b1795) married Mary Davidson (b1897).  Their son Wiiliam (b1817) married Mary Rodgers  (b1819).  Mary Rodgers family are William Rodgers an Esther m/s Mackeral. 
William(1817) and Mary(1819) had three children born in Ireland: James (c1841), Martha (c1842) & Esther (c1846), before emigrating to Ayrshire c1850.   They lodged with James and Eliza Lamont in Catrine, Ayrshire who also originated from the same area.

Any help or advice received will greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Doole's of Derry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find reference to over 20 Doole families in the Maghera/Magherafelt areas. The earliest is James Doole who married Susanna Cousley on 15 Feb 1850 in Curran Presbyterian Church, Maghera. I am particularly interested in the marriage of Sarah Doole to David Turkington on 26 Sept 1856 in Woods Chapel Church of Ireland, Magherafelt. My brother-in -law was a Turkington from this area.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.   
As the name Doole seems to me to be a little uncommon I wonder if there is a common genealogy further back in time.

Regards

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 19:25 BST (UK) »
Les,
     I have gone further back using various sources, 1766 Religious census, 1740 Protestant Householders Census and the 1663 Hearth Tax Rolls and found various Dooles in the aforementioned areas. e.g. 1663 had Henry, Neal and Rory in Desertmartin and Hugh in Kilcronaghan. I tried some earlier Muster Lists but no Dooles were listed.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
I've found a couple of Doole's in the 1766 census but confirming a link is the key.   I shall have to make that 'long-planned' trip to PRONI, else write some polite begging letters to a Presbyterian Church archive officer.  I will let you know if I discover anything.

Regards

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 12:00 BST (UK) »
Les,
     Most of the Dooles in the area at later dates appear to be Church of Ireland. The earlier ones seem to be Presbyterian and there is one Roman Catholic.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi the James Doole married in 1850, Curran Pres. Ch father was also called James Doole, also see the marriage of Mary Doole = Samuel Porter in 1852 same church but don't see a fathers name listed

I also see a Hugh Dool who married a Mary in 1772 at First  Magherafelt Pres. Ch don't have any other details for this marriage

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
Les,
     Most of the Dooles in the area at later dates appear to be Church of Ireland. The earlier ones seem to be Presbyterian and there is one Roman Catholic.

Regards

Thanks K

When my Doole family (William & Mary m/s Rodgers) emigrated to Ayrshire c1850, all of their Scots born children were baptised (and some were married) at the Church of Scotland in Catrine, so I would not be too surprised to learn that other members of the Doole family had chosen a different pastoral path.   It certainly makes for interesting research, that's for sure!  Once again many thanks for the info you have given me so far.   

Les

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joe.

I have an itch that tells me that the James Doole (b1825) who married in 1850 was the son of my 3GGF James and the  younger brother of William who emigrated to Scotland and thus contributed to the beginnings of my Scots ancestry, but... I'm not 100%sure.   
I do have the 1852 marriage record for my 3GGM Mary Doole (widow of James) and Samuel Porter, which I was able to corroborate with later Scottish records.

Once again many thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Regards

Les