Author Topic: The Doole's of Derry  (Read 11693 times)

Offline MattJD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Doole's of Derry
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 November 11 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these quick replies and very helpful leads. Will research your comments and try to go back further!
regards,
Matt

Offline tosea7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 October 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I can tell you a bit about some descendants...  I’ve been using ancestry.ca, and I’ve figured out that William Doole (b1817, Scotland) is my Great-Great-Great grandfather.  William’s son James (b1841) married Helen Potts (b.1847).  One of their children, Mary (b.1868), who had an illegitimate son James (b1893).  He immigrated to Canada as a young man (or teenager), married, and had 3 children (all still living).  One of those children is my mother.  For the most part, the Scottish locations I’ve run across for the family include (1)Paisley, Renfrewshire; (2) Sorn, Ayrshire; and (3) Coylton, Ayrshire.  Maybe this info is not much help, but I thought it was interesting that I'm in that line somewhere!  ...btw, you're right--the Dooles are an elusive bunch to trace!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 October 12 10:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, tosea7, but I can't see any connection between the Dooles you've mentioned and Co. Derry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 October 12 18:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome tosee7.   It has been more than a year since my original post and to be completely honest, I forgot all about it until I received notification of aghadowey's post.   Thanks for your interest.   I certainly recognise much of your info and I will take a thorough look at it over the next week or so and will post a reply.

Best regards

Offline HighlandTara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 October 13 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Good day,

I recently became a member trying to find info on Esther Doole. I am directly related to Esther Doole who came to Catrine as a child circa 1850s. She was my great grandmother. She married Hugh Fowler and my grandfather, John, was I think their youngest child. My late mother Esther was John's only daughter. There are lots of Fowlers in Catrine now and they are all still presbyterians.

Hope this info will be of interest in this search as I still have contact with Catrine village and access to Sorn info as well.

p.s. I also knew of two ladies (now deceased) who were also called Doole who lived in Galston, Ayrshire. They were single and named Jean and Helen.

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 October 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Highland Tara,  if you have subscriptions to either Ancestry.co.uk(.com) or GenesReunited.co.uk then you will be able to view all of the info I have on our Doole family, and there is quite a bit! 
Your GGM Esther (born c1843 Ireland) was the older sister of my GGM Jane (born 13/04/1857 Catrine), so we share the same 2GGPs William and Mary m/s Rodgers (b1817/b1819 respectively Ireland), which makes us third cousins (I think!).
For a number of years I have been working on the Doole/Coombe family tree with cousin Tom White in Canada, and similarly the Doole branch with another mutual cousin Debbie Nicol also in Canada.

Let me know how you get on with Ancestry or GenesReunited, else I will have to get the info to you some other way. 

Best regards

Les

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 October 13 19:03 GMT (UK) »
If you don't have an Ancestry subscription then you can usually view the same trees (free) via www.mundia.com.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline HighlandTara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Les3011,

I thought by the info you gave we would be direct relatives.

I came upon all of this by accident and was only curious about the origins of the name which was my late mother's middle name. I know now that I have an undiscovered 'family' out there so will start looking! There is a website for Catrine (catrineayrshirecouk.)  run by a chap called Rab. It has a huge amount of info and pics. including Wood Street many years ago where the family lived.

The names Truesdale, Fram , Fowler, Watson are all direct descendents of the Doole Wood Street family

Regards,
Highland Tara

Offline les3011

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Highland Tara,   no problem I'm happy to help but please don't forget to fill in the gaps for us so that any info you provide can be shared with your 'new and extended family'!!  You will probably find a greater amount of Doole family history from 'DebraH338' on Ancestry.com as she is closer to the Doole ancestry than I, I am from the Doole/Coombe's.  It might also save you some time on your research.

Happy hunting

Regards

Les3011