Author Topic: George Adamson from Gretna?  (Read 2409 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
George Adamson from Gretna?
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
Am looking for ancestors of my gt-gt-gt-grandfather George Adamson, born in the Gretna (Graitney?) area, possibly in Ruthwell, around 1805.  His parents may have been Robert Adamson and Jannet Bell, however I was given this information by someone whose information in other cases has later proved to be incorrect.

I know that he left the area for Lancashire as a young man and married Ann Holden around 1830 in Rochdale.  In 1851 George is described as a Tea Dealer employing 3 men, but I haven't found him in the 1841, when he was presumably in Lancashire.  I don't know whether he had any siblings.  I do know quite a bit about his descendants, however.

If you could help, I would be most grateful, as I don't have access to Scottish records.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Adamson from Gretna?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Familysearch.org has him in Rochdale in the 1841 census........

Aged 35, birthplace Scotland. Born 1806.
Reg. District Rochdale.
Sub-district: Wardleworth 

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, The Mc.  I haven't looked at Familysearch.org had so much detail nowadays as I hadn't looked at it for a while.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillg
I haven't any information about George's birth but possibly about a sibling of his.

If you look at the 1891 census of Arthuret, Cumberland, there is a John Adamson, grocer, b about 1848, living with his wife and children, all born Rochdale, living in Bridge Street.
I have seen a document saying that a Mr Adamson took over the business of his cousin George Bell, grocer of Bridge Street, Longtown, after George's death in 1889. This Mr Adamson was nephew of George Bell's mother, Isabella (nee Adamson).

Isabella Adamson was baptised in Mouswald in 1798, daughter of Robert Adamson and Jannet Bell.
She was married to a James Bell, grocer of Longtown in Annan in 1822, and was said to have been from Rockliff at the time of her marriage.

There is a MI from Kirkpatrick Fleming for Robert Adamson:
In memory of Jannet Bell spouse of Robert Adamson who died at Rockliff 13th Augt 1821 aged 50 years. And of the said Robert Adamson who died at Rigg of Gretna the 26th May 1855 aged 77 years.   

And another in Gretna Old Church:
In memory of James ADAMSON who died at Rochdale Jany 26th 1857 aged 26 years. And Christina CARRUTHERS wife of Robert ADAMSON who died at Rigg 21st March 1877 aged 80 years.

This appears to link the Adamson family to Gretna, Rochdale and Rockliff (in Cumberland). Possibly Christina was a second wife of Robert Adamson?

So if your George Adamson is the father of the John Adamson who took over the Bell family business in Longtown, he is likely to be closely related to Isabella Adamson Bell of Longtown, possibly a sibling.

hope this isn't too confusing!
robbiesmum
http://longtown19.website.orange.co.uk/

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi robbiesmum

Sorry to be so long in replying, but have been away celebrating my son's wedding.  I will try to work out all the information you have given me and compare it with what I have. then get back to you.

Thanks very much for this.

Gillg

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 10:16 BST (UK) »
Having looked at my information, I have found that my great-grandfather George Adamson was a brother of Isabella.  They were both children from their father Robert's first marriage to Jannet Bell, his second wife being Christina Carruthers.  George and his wife Ann Holden had 11 children, the next to the youngest being John b 1848.  John married his half cousin Elizabeth Adamson in Rochdale and must have moved back to Scotland to take over the grocer's business in Arthuret.  I remember being taken to see an old lady on a farm near Gretna when I was small.  Her name was Jeannie, and I think she was probably John's daughter Jane Ann, who was born in Rochdale in 1872, but died in Carlisle Hospital around 1955.

Things are beginning to fall into place now, thanks to your help. :)

Gillg