Author Topic: William Holmes born circa 1851 Ireland  (Read 10511 times)

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Holmes born circa 1851 Ireland
« on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for any help in tracing the birth/baptism of William Holmes born circa 1851.   On 1861 Norwich, Norfolk Census return he was stated as being 10 years old born Ireland.
His father William (my great grandfather) married Catherine Brennan in 1847 in Athy, County Kildare.   Their first child, Teresa, was bap 27 May 1849 Rathkeale, County Limerick.   At that time, William senior was a soldier in the 3rd Buffs.  He was also in 44th Regt. of Foot and served  in the Crimean War in Sebastapol.   The first I can find of the family on the census returns is on the 1861.   By the 1871 census, William senior had died and his son William junior had "disappeared".  Could he have gone back to live in Ireland, possibly with his Brennan relatives?
Any help in tracing the birth/bap of William Holmes junior or any info about his father's stay in Ireland, will be greatly appreciated as I have hit this huge brick wall in my research.
Aquilegia18
Rowley - Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire
Dawson - Nottinghamshire
Holmes- Norfolk, Derbyshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: William Holmes born circa 1851 Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:27 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful for any help in tracing the birth/baptism of William Holmes born circa 1851.   On 1861 Norwich, Norfolk Census return he was stated as being 10 years old born Ireland.
His father William (my great grandfather) married Catherine Brennan in 1847 in Athy, County Kildare.   Their first child, Teresa, was bap 27 May 1849 Rathkeale, County Limerick.

I presume your Holmes family were Church of Ireland ?

You would need to know where in Co. Kildare William was baptised, but could start by checking records for parish his parents were married in.

CofI baptism records for Athy go back to 1669, but I dont think any for this parish are available online at the moment, but are available to view in the Representative Church Body Library, Co. Dublin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Shane.   I don't know where William 1851 was born.
His father, William b. 1822 was Protestant.   His mother, Catherine, was bap Kilrush (R.C.) and his sister, Teresa, was bap 1849 Rathkeale, Co. Limerick (also R.C.).
I have spent quite a lot of money on FindMyPast; IFHF, etc. and have had absolutely no luck so far.   Even no luck on family search inc. pilot search.   I am at a loss as to know what to do now.   I have tried looking for b.m.d on freebmd and freereg but with no luck.   After 1861 census he seemed to have melted away into the background.
I think I need to find out where William senior spent his time in the army whilst in Ireland.   Thanks for your help.
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
P.S.

Just an afterthought.   Do you think it may be worth my while writing to St. Michael's Church at Athy, Kildare? 

Can anyone please let me know the details of the Roman Catholic Church in Rathkeale, Co. Limerick?   Might try same with that one.
Thank you in advance (and hope).
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
The marriage looks to have been church of Ireland, or civil, so I thought that was the denomination of your Holmes family.

re writing to the  churches.. not all parish have access to the historic registers, or are willing, or have time, to do look-ups. Some do however, sometimes for a small fee - so there's no harm in trying.

Transcripts of RC baptisms for the parish of Athy seem to be included on the RootsIreland website, so that would suggest William was not baptised there..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 11 18:55 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
 I think I might give the Church a try as I can't seem to get any further with this baptism.
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline jaksprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 June 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Aquilegia18,  I have just come across your post.  I am researching the Holmes family too.  If i'm right William Holmes b1852 is my ggrandfather.  He enlisted in the Royal Artillery in 1870 you will find him on the 1871 Census as a soldier in Woolwich.  He was in India from 1884 to 1894 when he moved to Bristol where he lived until he died.  His Son Edwin Job Holmes is my Grandfather.

I have no firm evidence that William (1822) is the father if my William (1852) its all circumstantial.  Everything ties u,p my William states on the 1901 & 1911 Census that he was born in Armagh, Ireland, and as you know his sister Teresa was born in Ireland too.  His marriage Certificate says his Father was called William.  But I have not been able to locate a birth record for him.  The only issue I have is that on his marriage certificate (to Clara Evans) he states his Father was a Carpenter.

I'm interested to know how you obtained a copy of the Marriage certificate of William Holmes & Catherine Brennan and if you've fund anything to suggest he was a carpenter.

Would love to hear from you.

Jackie

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 June 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi  Jackie,
Sorry, only just managed to see your post.  I do not have a computer just now as my own one is out for 'adjustments' so am using someone else's.
I obtained William & Catherine's marriage certificate from the Register Office in Dublin after help from Rootschatters and the familysearch website.
If it's okay, I will reply fully to your message in a few days time as am currently sole carer for a sick relative.
My William (1822) was born in Norfolk and, at the time of his marriage, was a serving soldier in Ireland with the 3rd Buffs Regt.  He was formerly a weaver as was his father before him . However my own grandfather, John, was a joiner/carpenter.  I will reply with more info a.s.a.p.
Regards,
Aquilegia
Dawson - Nottinghamshire

Offline Aquilegia18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie,
So sorry not to have been in touch since 27 June.  I have only just (today in fact) got my own computer back!!!!!!!!!!! 
I must add that the information I have about 'my' Holmes ancestors is mainly guesswork and naming patterns.  I was always brought up to believe that my grandpa was born in southern Ireland;  that he/or his father came over to England to work on 'the ship canal'.   He or both of them were supposed to be ships carpenters.  My grandpa did speak with a southern Irish accent and used to call me his 'little leprechaun'.   My great grandfather William b. 1822 served in the Crimean War and died when he was young.
Will be in touch again as soon as I can.   
Regards,
Aquilegia18
Dawson - Nottinghamshire