Author Topic: St. Leonards Church, Heston, Middlesex  (Read 4057 times)

Offline ocian_c

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St. Leonards Church, Heston, Middlesex
« on: Wednesday 31 August 11 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I just wondered if anyone had any local knowledge of this church's graeyard.

Do they have plot maps to find someone easily or is it just pot luck?

Also if you do know this graveyard is a particular area one might head to to find gravestones dated around 1879 - or are they just all mixed together.

Any info would be great -  i have tried contacting the church but i can't send a message on their website as the link is bad - and no one answers the phone.

Many Thanks,

Ciaran
Keenan (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McCart (Co. Antrim Ireland - Scotland)
McMullan (Ballymoney Co. Antrim)
Westwood (Kingswinford)
Bray (Colwell, Herefordshire)
Stanley (London)
Moss-Smith (Altrincham and surrounds)

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. Leonards Church, Heston, Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 18:50 BST (UK) »
I can't help with your specific query   :( but I can tell you from my experience of other churchyards that there's often no rhyme or reason to where folks are buried - or at least no obvious reason.  I'd also say that many graves never had gravestones and those that did have often been removed, or allowed to be grown round and/or are undecipherable.

Some local history societies do maps of graveyards (Loddon in Norfolk has done maps with graves marked) and sometimes a plan of the graveyard might be at the relevant local archives.

You could try writing to the church but I think your best bet would be to try local history/archives sources first.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
We have often approached the church warden who have usually proved to be very helpful.They have come to meet us at the church often at short notice and they can produce maps of churchyard and sometimes registers.In one church I wanted to find 2 graves and the lady came long and showed me,another time the burial registers were produced.these are often kept locked away in the vestry.Some churches do have records available just inside.Look up the church on Google and find the numbers of the wardens and hopefully they will be willing to help.
Of course there are churches  where the gravestones are round the edge.
Good luck......we have had a lot of help in many places .
Ringrose

Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say that my mother married in this church in 1934 but I have never visited.
Ringrose
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 September 11 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

West Middlesex Family History Society seem to have transcribed or at least indexed the monumental inscriptions at Heston.

http://www.west-middlesex-fhs.org.uk/content/indexes_general.aspx

Usually when a family history society transcribe monuments in a churchyard they also map them.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rockborne38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hello to all - I have ancestors who were christianed/baptised at St Leonards Church Heston, one in 1797, another in 1799, then another in 1804 and one in 1805. I am seeking a drawing, photograph or image of a painting of the church as it was in that time, before the new church was build in the 1860s, I would like to add the image to my family history file, can anybody help me please. Best wishes from Tom in Australia

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
I think that the attached picture was painted c1800?
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/01acr/

Collage (City of London Library & Art Collection Electronic), record number: 31694
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rockborne38

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 October 14 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hello to KGarrad - thank you so much for your help and for the image, it completes the picture for me, and I can now add the image to my family history file. best wishes from Australia