Author Topic: Inverness shire militia  (Read 9204 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inverness shire militia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 August 16 12:47 BST (UK) »
Militiamen were selected by ballot. So worth contacting the Inverness Record Office as some counties retain the 'census' they took of all eligible men and the men selected. Selected men could pay a substitute to take his place. The lists may tell you where the men came from. If he was a substitute he may not have been from Inverness-shire

The muster rolls are another source. These are in the National Archives, not online. So you will have to visit. The first and last entries give the best chance of giving additional information. The muster should say if the men marched to Edinburgh or went by sea. As there were marching allowances and deductions for being at sea.

Ken

Offline victor84

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 October 16 13:53 BST (UK) »
I have a rare coloured print dated 1800 of an Officer of the Inverness shire Militia.

I've seen only a few and this is the only one that I can find in colour where you can see the uniform details.

It was framed by Taylors in Aberdeen many years ago.

I've tried and failed to attach an image !

Regards

Vic

Offline Sheila G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 October 16 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Ken. I have messaged the Archive Centre in Inverness and am awaiting a reply.

Sheila

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 February 17 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Doing the family tree bit and came across what appears to be my 5th Gt Grandfather James Nicol, who was likely from Montrose. In 1803 he married a woman called Margaret Burnett in Cupar, which seemed strange. However when viewing the Marriage entry he is shown as a private in what appears to be the Third Inverness Militia and Margaret is shown as from the parish of Montrose.

My question is why would James be in the Inverness Militia and why would they marry at Cupar? Two years later they have their first child in Montrose and remain there until their deaths.

Any info would be appreciated

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching James McGlashon from Nairn; he was in the Inverness militia. He married in Musselburgh in January 1808, although his bride was from Balgonie in Fife, suggesting that the militia came through there. I wonder if they sailed from Inverness to the port of Montrose and perhaps filled any blanks in their numbers with local recruits?

His first son Thomas was born in Trafalgar Inn in Collessie in Fife in October 1808. The next child I have traced is Alexander who was born in Gosport in the far south of England in 1811 so presumably the militia was based there. The only other children I have traced were born in Edinburgh in 1816 and 1822. The family remained in Edinburgh with James dying there in 1823.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Hamish1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 17 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for reply

Yeah, I suppose that is possible

I would understand it more if she had been from the Cupar area, but they were both from Montrose. I can only assume that she joined him there, got married and then returned to Montrose and a couple of years later had their first child.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
Quick note to AncesStory - Donald MacGillivray of Bochruben, born 1772, was my four times great grandfather. His parents were James MacGillivray and Ann Cameron; just for good measure, Donald also had a brother called James MacGillivray, who also married someone called Ann Cameron! All the info I have on the family is at http://chrispatonscotland.tripod.com/id30.html

Chris Paton
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 June 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris - your information is phenomenal! You may not know that   Marjory McGilivray, daughter of James McGilivray  (1/8/1781 - 27/2/1866)  and Ann Cameron, married Adam Brown in  Aberdour, Fife, May 30th 1834. I am not sure how Marjory ended up in Fife from Inverness by 1834, when her siblings were still at home in Wells St, Inverness. The Brown family were woodworkers and their  daughter Marjory McGillivray Brown, who  married my G Grandfather Lewis Duffus, a cabinet maker, in Edinburgh, was a mantel maker.  The name Marjory remains in our family.
DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
No probs, glad it was of some help, and thanks for the new info! FYI, Highland Archive will soon be placing its catalogue online, which may help further. I was there about 2 months back and found a great deal of info on the MacGillivrays on that visit, with plenty more still to do! :)

Chris
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com