Author Topic: English/German family in French Canada, 1830-1870  (Read 13617 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: English/German family in French Canada, 1830-1870
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 September 11 04:20 BST (UK) »
It is possible John and Catherine were married in Sorel too. You could try looking back throught the years ... there is usually an index at the back of each year so you don't have to go through page by page, although it is a small parish and not that many pages anyway.

Spinster here would mean a woman who was not previously married.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 September 11 04:21 BST (UK) »
Where did you find the Sorel records - still Ancestry or somewhere else?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 September 11 04:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, Ancestry.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 September 11 13:10 BST (UK) »
I just requested an interlibrary loan for the index to Christ Church, Anglican's vital records.  That should at least give me a new start.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 04 September 11 05:17 BST (UK) »
Seems odd that the only other Witman/Whitman in another area of Bagot is a Catherine born U.S.
Says she is 95 so I guess not yours, just coincidence?  Were the rest of the family catholic on the census, and just John Anglican...Frustrating that there isn't much more than census records to look at...
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e326/e008146471.jpg

I did find a some information about Whitmans from the U.S. probably settling in Quebec... would be frustrating if the census taker miss-interpreted "New England"
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 04 September 11 12:08 BST (UK) »
I had seen that record, and I think is is just a coincidence.  There a just too many discrepancies between this record and the other two records.

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 September 11 23:04 BST (UK) »
OK, so I got the Sorel Anglican Church vital records index, and it has given me a lot more information to work from.  There are several Weightman/Whitman and See/Sea records.  These are my new hypotheses given the new info:

It seems that two Weightman's (brothers?) settled in the Sorel region around the same time - John in Saint-Hugues and Hugh in Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel.  John married Catherine See, and Hugh married Elizabeth Edvage, though neither marriage record is in the Sorel records.

John and Catherine had several illegitimate children, Hannah, Ann and John (who was baptized as an adult in 1858), though they appear to have married by 1831.  Additionally, it seems that John was married previously to Catherine, as the Sorel records include a marriage of William Weightman, witnessed by his stepbrother John and stepmother Catherine Weightman.  According to Hannah Weightman's baptism record in 1825, John Weightman was of Chabois or Cheboit, and Catherine See was of Pot au Beurre.  I am unsure of where either of these places are supposed to be.  John (Sr.) died Jun 27 1864 aged about 76.  At this time his name was recorded as "Whitman."

Hugh and Elizabeth Weightman had three children baptized in Sorel - Elizabeth, Mary Jane, and Hugh.  In addition to the records regarding the families of John and Hugh, it seems there was another Weightman.  There is a baptism record for Elizabeth Weightman, born Sep 10 1819, "Daughter of Thomas and Mary Weightman, late from England."  What does it mean by "late from England?"  I assume it means they arrived fairly recently compared to the others.

Apparently, there were also three See's or Sea's (also brothers?) who settled around Sorel: James, John, and David.

James was a "former captain in the provincial militia, a native of New York state who came to Canada during the American revolution, died aged 81 and was buried Dec. 28, 1827, witnessed by David See."  He was married to Mary, a native of Westchester, NY and resident of Sorel.  They had sons David, Abraham, and John.  David married Catherine and had William Henry, David, John James, Charles Henry, and Maria Ann.  John was a merchant in Sorel.

John was an "American Loyalist late on the provision asylum of Sorel, died aged about 70 and was buried May 16, 1828, witnessed by David See."  There was no other information on John.

Finally, the only records for David Sea were the baptisms of two of his children.  He was married to a woman named Lenah or Leanah, and had Catharine, Apr 07, 1786, and Herman, Oct 28, 1788.  This makes me think that this might be the Catherine who married John Whitman, and the same Catherine Whitman that J.J. pointed out on the 1881 census, as the date of birth would match exactly.

Anyway, I know this is a long post, but maybe it might help generate ideas about where to go next.  I'm especially curious about what is meant by Cheboit and Pot au Beurre.  I cannot find these locations, except for a road named Pot au Beurre in St-Michel-d'Yamaska, as well as a River near Ste-Famille I think.  Please share any other pertinent thoughts you may have as well.  I would also like to thank polarbear for pointing me in this direction, as I wouldn't have found any of this without your help.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 September 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
mentioned here as being rejected in an attempt to have a church erected, ( even though some funds were raised for that purpose) which usually meant small amount of people=no money in the coffers.   http://anglicanhistory.org/canada/quebec/vokey1959/

Settlements were often by Rivers http://www.flickr.com/photos/douaireg/4764941960/

this river is called the Pot-Au-Beurre (Pot-of-Butter )!
Pot-Au-Beurre River, hydrographic feature having its source in the village of Sainte-Victoire, in Montérégie, flows about 20 km north-east, in the Yamaska ​​River. At 5 km upstream from its mouth in the municipality of Saint-Michel d'Yamaska, at the height of the tip of the Ile Saint-Jean, it receives the waters of Little River Pot-Au-Beurre. The origin of this place name is obscure, but one can speculate that people were probably used to keep their butter cool in the summer, dropping it in the waters of the river, hence the name. Joseph Bouchette registered Rivière Pot au Beurre in his topographical description of the province of Lower Canada (1815). There is another river in Quebec Pot Butter. It flows at the boundary of the municipalities of Saint-Pierre and Holy Family of the Isle of Orleans. We find proof of this toponym Orleans in the delineation of the parish of Sainte-Famille in 1722. Variations: First River Pot-Au-Beurre; Creek dredging.

This description seems to fit he second location  http://genforum.genealogy.com/gobeil/messages/16.html
"land on the Isle of Orleans in the midst of the St. Lawrence River across from the Beaupre Coast. The land was along a small river called Pot-au-Beurre, on the North side of the island in the Parish of St. Famille."

The other appears to be in Sainte-Victoire-de-Sorel  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eyr/

Also does it describe both locations here?  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eys/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline blamking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 September 11 02:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the added info.  I've found a few references to the See's in Sorel and have contacted one of the researchers to see if I can get more information.  I've also found some references to Hugh Weightman - it looks like his wife's name may actually have been Elizabeth Elvidge.  I don't suppose someone might be able to fill me in on the details of this marriage?