Author Topic: Arrgh! Can't find it on Scotland's People!COMPLETED; THANK YOU!  (Read 8848 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Arrgh! Can't find it on Scotland's People!COMPLETED; THANK YOU!
« on: Saturday 03 September 11 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Have found on A......y an entry for 1841 Scottish census relating to my ancestors which is -- in parts -- poorly transcribed; and I should like to see it, therefore, on Scotland's People which should (as I understand it) be able (for a price) to provide access to the original.  Despite trying every permutation I can think of, including wildcards, on my ancestor's names, however, I can't get any potential matches at all on the @*^% thing (searching 1841 census only) on SP!

This is what I have from the entry on Ancestry:

Gallowgate,  Rothesay,  Bute

Roger Owen/50/teacher/b foreign parts
Ann Owen/40/--/ditto
Eliza A Owen/8
Gwen Owen/5
Rogers Servello/2

Is there anyone out there with considerably more affinity for/experience of SP than me who can come up with a permutation that will get me any matches AT ALL on that  first search?!  I'm just not finding any; matches at all and this is SO frustrating!  Or is there something I don't know?!
  Thanks in advance for any assistance!
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arrgh! Can't find it on Scotland's People!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi

Try searching for the first name Roger

Leave the surname blank, put Roger as the Forename and select Bute as the County/City/Shipping.
You should have 4 matches, view for 1 credit and hopefully one of the surnames is a corruption of Owen

Andy

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
You might find it's been mistranscribed on SP as "Ewen"... ;)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
You can also see a trascription of the entry on http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl - as suggested in the name, for free  ;) These transcriptions, undertaken by volunteers, are very accurate. The family show on this as OWEN - search for 1841 (click right tab on the top) and then Roger Owen/Bute.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 September 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
As Prue has said, Roger Ewen, 2 entries for Rothesay, Bute. 5 in the family of Ewen without a Roger. He must be "out"!!!! ;D ;D

Regards

Malky.

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 September 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much for your invaluable help! :-*

"Ewen" -- why didn't I think of that?!  (My brain just doesn't seem to work in the way that draws any success on SP).  I'll bear that in mind for the future, as I've quite a few Scottish "Owen" ancestors.

So I went with the "free-cen" look-up (of course!) -- thank you so much for that tip, Monica; and guess what?!  Turns out that "Gwen" Owen (a child whose existance I'd otherwise no indication of and had assumed must have died young) is "Owen Davies Owen" (a child I DO know about)!  So "Gwen" never existed!  I've learned an excellent lesson in the importance of double-checking -- that was a very bad bit of mistranscription.  (I know -- it happens, sometimes; transcribing isn't easy).

Once again, many thanks to all of you for your trouble.  You've really brightened my day.  (Plus I'm happy for my ancestors that they didn't have the sadness of losing a little girl!)  :D

CELTIC ANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada