Author Topic: Anderson family, Ballyshannon  (Read 27897 times)

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson family, Ballyshannon
« on: Saturday 03 September 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with information on The Anderson family in Ballyshannon.
In the 1901 census Thomas Anderson age 54, farmer and widower, lived at 14 in Legaltan (Ballyshannon Rural). On the census form are:-
Catherine Anderson 22
John Anderson 20
William D Anderson 18
Robert G Anderson 15 my husband's great Grandfather
Mary Irvine 55

In 1911 Robert G Anderson was living at 16 Mall Street, Ballyshannon, single, 25, Carpenter Master.

I would appreciate any information on any of the Anderson family.

Many thanks, Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson family, Ballyshannon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 September 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty, Can't find any church records for the family but I see them in the Civil Registers for the Parish of Ballyshannon

Thomas Anderson married Catherine Moore in the  third quarter 1878, daughter Catherine Elizabeth was born in the last quarter of the same year, may have been a shotgun wedding!
John Anderson followed in 1881, then William David in 1882 and finally Robert George in 1885, all registered in Ballyshannon CP

Think I see the death of Catherine in 1887 aged 37 also in the Civil register for Ballyshannon

Thomas Anderson died 1903 aged 59 registered ballyshannon

Also the possible death of daughter Catherine Anderson in 1958 same parish

Regards

Joe

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 September 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Wow Joe, now that's what I call service! Thank you so much for your help.
How do I go about ordering certificates from Ballyshannon? I think that is how I get back another generation. Anyway, thanks again.
Betty
Hay/Wisnom/Kerr/Millar/McArthur/McBride/Archer/Noble/Cinnamond/Baxter/Young/Irwin/Harold/Dowie/Benson

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 September 11 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty, I would start by buying the marriage Cert for Thomas and Catherine, it should contain parents names, apply to the General Register Office, Dublin here: http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Thomas Anderson = Catherine Moore 1878 Ballyshannon

here's a link to the record for Thomas on the LDS site:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/records#count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Athomas~%20%2Bsurname%3Aanderson~%20%2Bmarriage_place%
3ABallyshannon~%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1878&collection_id=1408347

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 September 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Irish marriage certificates list fathers' names and occupations- mothers' details are not included.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433042.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 September 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
I have information on Robert George Anderson, married (I think) July- Sept 1913.  Children ****born 1914-1922
Does anyone have any information on who he married.  The family all moved to Belfast, but I'm not sure when....but Robert's wife died and he remarried and had 3 more daughters, not sure of names and dates etc.
Thanks, Betty

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 September 11 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty

He married Rebecca Jane Black 3rd Quarter 1913 index Vol 2 Page 9 Ballyshannon (CP)

Regards

Joe

Offline Trevbet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 September 11 20:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Betty

Offline winnipeg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 December 11 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betty
I am replying from Winnipeg, Canada to your message on the Anderson Family. My wife's Grandfather was William David Anderson, born Dec 14, 1882 to Thomas and Catherine Anderson. He married Nellie McGhee of Ballyshannon on Dec 15, 1909. They had a son Thomas (my wife's father) in 1911 (d-1987) and another son Robert in 1912 (d-1975). They sailed to Canada on Aug 10, 1913 arriving on Aug 18 at Quebec City. They took the train to Winnipeg, which is in the middle of the country to reach friends Willie McIntyre (also from Ballyshannon). They had  3 more children, Rebecca (Ruby) born in 1915 (d-2005), William David (everyone called him Bill) in 1918 (d-2007) and Lilian in 1921 (d-1993).
William David passed away in 1960 at age 77 and Nellie passed in 1963 at age 81
Thomas married in 1939 and had 4 children, *
Rebecca had 6 children, *
Bill had 3 children, *
Lillian had 3 children, *

My wife and I visited Ballyshannon in 2004 and got copies of the St, Anne parish (Church of England)records for the family including Robert George who married Rebecca Jane in 1913, They had 5 children, *

I'd love to send you copies of all our data and pictures of Ballyshannon and the Anderson's of Winnipeg. I have done some work on the Great Great Grandparents but it is hard to figure it all out but I can send you what I have.
We would love to hear from you and are looking forward to your reply.
Dave and Pat Mork

* Moderator's Note: details of living/possibly living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy. Please see Posting Guidelines in Help pages-
http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php