Author Topic: Duffy Hanratty Marriage  (Read 4345 times)

Offline caschrom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Duffy Hanratty Marriage
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
I just obtained a copy of my gr gr grandparents marriage certificate.  Margaret Hanratty married Charles Duffy on August 19, 1847.  The parish/district is Haggardstown.  The county is Louth.  Margaret's address is listed as B Barrack.  The denomination is Roman Catholic.  I'm wondering if there's only one Catholic Church in this area and also where B Barrack would be located.  It almost sounds like an Army word.  Any help would be very appreciated as I'm taking a trip to Ireland on October 6 and hope to make a trip to this area.  Thank you.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy Hanratty Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:07 BST (UK) »
There might have been a chapel of ease in the parish, but just one parish church. My guess is that it was located somewhere in the townland of Haggardstown, and the parish is named after it.

The RC parish covers a number of civil parishes, one of which is Ballybarrack, and this also contains a townland named Ballybarrack...  I suspect that B Barrack is an abbreviation of this.

The townland of Ballybarrack is about 8km North West of Blackrock town - see : Ballybarrack townland  (OSI map - check the 6" option for a c1840s map)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 11 15:28 BST (UK) »
The parish church during the 1840s seems to have been located where St. Fursey's Church is now, on the western edge of the townland. The current church was built in the 1850s, but it's believed that there was an older church at the same location back to the early 1830s.

St. Fursey's Church (OSI Map)
  The church is shown on the 6" c1840 map, the 25" c1890 map and the modern map.

Rededication of St. Fursey's Church, Haggardstown

St. Fursey's Church   (Google Street view)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline caschrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 11 18:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shane.  This has been very helpful.

Offline patod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 January 12 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I am a beginner here. I saw your post from Sept 2011. My gr.gr.grandfather was Patrick Duffy, married to Bridget, mother Rose Keenan, father James. I believe that Patrick and Charles were brothers. I found Margaret Hanratty's name in our local Town Clerks records but associated with Patrick ???
I would like to compare information and try to find some records on the family.

Offline caschrom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 January 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  Sorry it took me so long to answer you.  We are indeed related.  Please email me at * and I will be glad to share all the information I have. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses. Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.
New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline patod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm sure it is possible that we share the same ancestor but I  cannot post to PM as yet. I have been in contact with another person who shares the same lineage from Louth specifically Ballybarrack.
Sorry I cannot post to PM as yet.   :(