Author Topic: Farrar Coolroe Wicklow.  (Read 10060 times)

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Farrar Coolroe Wicklow.
« on: Sunday 04 September 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
The following is what I have  found out so far about John and Mary Farrar of Coolroe and are part of a larger Webster family I am researching

John and Mary Farrar (nee Webster) were married the 11/4/1888 at Wicklow Parish Church. On the marriage cert John was a farmer from Coolroe, Crosspatrick Wicklow the son of Joshua Farrar. He was a widower. A note in the baptismal register of Crosspatrick Church on the baptism of his first child with Mary states that she (Mary) was his third wife.. Mary Webster was from Blainroe Wicklow the daughter of Isaac Webster. She was single at the time of marriage. Witnesses to the wedding were Henry Webster and ??? Griffin.

Mary Webster was one of ten siblings and was born the 6/12/1853 at Blainroe Wicklow the daughter of Isaac and Mary (nee Collier) Webster.

The baptismal register for Crosspatrick Church gives three children for John and Mary Farrar Coolroe. Joshua born the 7/2/1889. John born the 11/4/1890 and Susan born the 18/5/1891.

The 1901 Census has the family at Coolroe with one more addition Mary aged 6 at the time. In this Census there are three more daughters, Francis (23), Margaret (19) and Sarah (17) mentioned. I have to presume these are from an earlier marriage.

The 1911 Census has the family still at Coolroe with John and Mary still alive. They are 22 years married, Mary having given birth to eleven children with six still alive. Maggie, Joshua, John and Mary are also present. Susan I have found in the 1911 Census with an Aunt Margaret (nee Roberts) Edge in Knockafadda which is in Roundwood.

John

Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: Farrar Coolroe Wicklow.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 11 16:59 BST (UK) »
http://www.seanreidsociety.org/SRSJ3/3.09/George%20Farrar.pdf

http://www.igp-web.com/Wickow/pdfs/census/fitzwilliamClearances_A-J.pdf

SURNAME: Id:   Year Listed: Reference Number:
Gosling 497 1849 13
Townland (EB) Coolroe
Townland (Off’l) Coolroe
Parish: Crosspatrick
Ship Name:
Departure:
Arrival:
Group Members: John 41, Margaret 40, Mary 20, Henry 18, Thomas 15, Sarah
11, Isaac 8, Jane 5, Richard 3 mths.
Holding: Tenant to Isaac, his father, who has part of John Farrar's
holding
.3 roods to be given up to Mr Challoner.
Other Info: Chest/Graves in side column.

You might have these items already, not sure how relevant they may be to you as you don't mention what info you would need,- but putting it here just in case.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 11 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Pastmagic.

Many thanks for the information posted. I had come across the two web sites but not the info on emmigration. I should have been more specific in what I am looking for. I am looking to come forward from the marriage of John Farrar to Mary Webster. I descend from a Henry and Elizabeth Webster of Blainroe Wicklow who would have been Mary Websters grand parents. I have gathered quite abit of information on this Webster family but as for the marriage of Mary to John Farrar what I have posted is all that I know of them so far. I said I would run them as a seperate thread rarther than involve them in the bigger family and someone with an interest would come acoss them easier.

John.
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 July 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
Any idea who the first wife was...perhaps a Hannah????

I "think" the second wife was an Elizabeth Gilbert.

I am not researching Farrar but have gathered a bit of data.   Feel free to ak about stuff.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross.

In your research have you anything as to the family of John and Mary ( Nee Webster) Farrar.

John.

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 14 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you go to the original posting in this thread you will find the 4 children of John Farrar and Mary Webster.
The earlier marriage to Eliza Gilbert produced Frances 1877, Anne 1878-1887, Eliza 1879, Maggie, 1881, Sarah 1883, and Martha 1885 to 1886.

i think the first marriage wa to a Hannah and they baptised a achild Mary in 1875.   She died in 1885.

Thus, it was John, not Mary Webster, who had 11 children as per the 1911 Census.   The six alive would be their children Joshua, John, and Mary, Susan having died befoe 1901 I guess, plus Frances, Maggie and Sarah from the 2nd marriage.

Good luck.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 July 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross.

Thanks for getting back to me. This part of my tree I haven't done anything on in awhile as I was not making much headway. I had figured from looking at the ages in the census the children must have been from more than one marriage. I visited the locality a while back and spoke with a descendant of Mary Webster's sister who thought from what she had been told that many of the people that I would be interested in had emigrated. She was to find out more and I have yet to get back to her.

John

Offline Ross Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Help me out.   If John Farrar married Mary Webster as a 3rd wife, and if the 2nd wife was Elizabeth Gilbert...and if John's daughter Susan had an Aunt Margaret (nee Roberts) Edge, then the first wife had to be either an Edge or a rOberts...am I right?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
FTR

FARRAR family
1901 census
1911 census

1911 Census Susan FARRAR a visitor with Margaret EDGE
There is nothing to indiciate here that they are aunt and niece

John FARRAR m1 Hannah APPLEBY Mar 26 1874 LINK

Hannah FARRAR died Q1 1875 LINK; Hannah may have died in childbirth
1.   Mary FARRAR b. Jan 19 1875 LINK is possible record of birth of this daughter; d. 1885 LINK

John FARRAR m2 Eliza GILBERT May 11 1876
LINK

Births of children: LINK to all FARRAR records 1876-1885
2.   Frances b. 1877 m James KEARNEY Jan 05 1909**
3.   Anne b. May 19 1878 d. 1887 LINK
4.   Eliza b. Jun 22 1879 d. 1885 LINK
5.   Margaret b. Apr 15 1881 d. 1946 possibly LINK
6.   Sarah b. Apr 03 1883 d. 1905 possibly LINK
7.   Martha b. May 28 1885 d. 1886 LINK

John FARRAR m3 Mary WEBSTER Apr 11 1888
Births of children: LINK to all FARRAR records 1888 to 1900
8.   Joshua b. Feb 07 1889 d. 1960 possibly LINK
9.   John b. Apr 11 1890
10.   Susan b. May 18 1891 possibly married John McCLURE 1920 LINK
11.   Mary b. c1895

James and Frances KEARNEY on 1911 census
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder